Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Eugene , Oregon
Storage in FC 19

Hello, we are looking to buy a travel trailer to tow with our 2014 MB ML350 BlueTec. We want to stay fairly short and light and are looking at the FC 19 as a real possibility. We intend to travel fairly light, not a lot of things to weigh us down. However, we have noticed that there is not a lot of storage with these trailers and are wondering where people store items. We are particularly interested in storage for a couple of camp chairs, two folding bikes and an inflatable kayak as well as other odds and ends. Where do you store these? In the tow vehicle? Thanks for your help.
NautiDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Our AS is a 20' rear kitchen/front bed unit and we tow with a Chevy Silvarado 4 door crew cab. There is a fair amount of storage under the bed, some space under the benches for the dinnette, and storage in overhead bins. We use folding chairs camp chairs (those that have a carry bag) and store them under the bed. Portable grills can be placed in plastic bins and stored under the bed. I would think that the folding bikes and the kayak could be stored in your TV even with 4 passengers. Others on this forum have indicated they travel with bikes stored in the trailer when traveling. Our bikes are stored in the bed of the truck. The biggest issue will be storage for the portable waste tank, assuming you will be staying in campgrounds without a sewer connection. Ours fits in the bed of the truck between the bikes. A limited amount of storage prevents us from taking a lot of "things" that we really dont need and would just be in the way.
Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We traveled in a 20' pulled by an ML500 with 2 people, 2 dogs, a bike, fishing gear and a kayak. The chairs, a BBQ and most fishing stuff goes under the bed, Kayak on the roof of the car and the bike inside the car or trailer.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That is the size I should have ordered to tow with my 2007 ML 320 CDI because the tongue weight and trailer GVW were within the Mercedes limits that model year. Instead I ordered the 25FB International Serenity and when camping ready, the front axle weight rating was exceeded and the GVW was exceeded. Being 50% heavier than the suggested 5,000 pound towing weight rating caused issues as well.

The newer ML 350 CDI has a higher tow rating (either 7,200 or 7,500 pounds as I am not sure at the moment), but the axle ratings and payload can be an issue.

I suggest crossing the CAT scales at a truck stop and finding the actual front and rear axle loads both without the driver and passenger inside and with both seated inside. Now you have the base line to work from to select the trailer.

I took my ML to CanAm in London, Ontario Canada (4,400 mile drive in seven days) to have the Mercedes hitch properly reinforced at CanAm. Give Andy a call at CanAm (519) 652-3284 and learn about your actual options. There are a few Canadians towing 31' Airstreams with the ML.

I ended up with a Dodge Ram 2500HD with Cummins diesel as our combined towing weight with the new Classic model 30 will be between 18,000 and 19,000 pounds because we take two generators, spare propane tanks, ladder, kitchen sink (just kidding) etc

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
In our 19', we carry two camp chairs on top of the bed. They go outside when we set up camp. We carry a microwave (we do not have one built in), camp stove, 6 gal water jug, outside mat, lantern, and some other small things under the dinette table while traveling. These get moved when we get to our destination. Our bikes go in the van - perhaps your folding bikes will fit in the car along with the blow up boat. You could always put the boat in the trailer, as well, and put it outside or in the car when you've stopped. Does your rear seat fold down, or do you need it for people? There are lots of ways to use the space. My tongue weight, weighed on a scale with full water and LP is 500# - the newer 19's are about 50# more with two batteries (mine has one). Don't get talked into hanging a hitch off the back that weighs hundreds of pounds. You don't need it (your ML weighs more than the trailer) and that will leave you more carrying capacity.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Airstream sells a bike rack for the back of the trailer that can carry 2 bikes.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
We have a Lexus Gx470, and bought a new 19' primarily because I didn't want to buy a new tow vehicle and wanted a trailer that was easily towable. We feel we bought the perfect size for our current needs. As far as the storage, we generally we pack the small BBQ, water storage containers, folding chairs etc in the back of our Lexus. As far as bikes, I haven't tackled that yet. A few months before purchasing our trailer I had purchased a really good, fairly expensive hitch style bike rack which it's usable with my trailer. I really didn't want to purchase the new rack that mounts on either the front or rear of the trailer. My primary concern is scratching the trailer. So I may end up buying a roof rack for our car...
estegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Search the forum or Bing for Kermit chairs. Super comfy and they fold up to teeny size. Not cheap, but very well made, like your AS.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Also, ZipDee folding chairs can be special ordered with the seat fabric to match the trailer awning. They are well made and pricey. They fit in the side storage in Classics and the custom cabinet in our prior 25FB International.

Click on Airstream Registry under the avatar to see that modification.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote