Old 05-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Storage Bins for FC 23 Rear Compartment

Looking for what size plastic storage bins are good for organizing hoses, power cords, etc in the rear storage compartment of the FC 23D.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Suggestion, if you intend on using hard containers measure your compartment to see what will fit. I use large Heavy duty Zip Lock Stoage bags. No problem getting them in and out and makes good use of available space.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a sturdy, dark green, mesh laundry bag, with a drawstring and canvas handles, that is great for storing things that may be wet and/or want to come unwound.

Fill it, pull the drawstring tight, and you're ready to go.

I can't find the exact thing online to post a picture, but a number of places sell mesh bags with drawstrings.

I believe this was sold as a travel laundry bag, and I know this is what Doug used it for.

Don't have to worry about rigid sizes and exact fits, and they hold up well.

Maggie
Old 05-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
The zip lock bags are a good idea. I was hoping someone had some ideas for Sterilite bins, etc.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
The PO of mine left a regular Rubbermaid tub that fits though the door. I store the webbing tie downs and screw ins, water filter, nozzles, extra pins for the hitch, whatever will fit. Once I put that in there I just add the power cord, water hoses and open weave mat on top. Some stuff, like the reflectors, slinky bridge and extra Legos in a big bag stay to the far right.

I can take the tub out and put it on the ground to root around for whatever I need; pretty handy that way.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Can you tell what size the Rubbermaid tub is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
The PO of mine left a regular Rubbermaid tub that fits though the door. I store the webbing tie downs and screw ins, water filter, nozzles, extra pins for the hitch, whatever will fit. Once I put that in there I just add the power cord, water hoses and open weave mat on top. Some stuff, like the reflectors, slinky bridge and extra Legos in a big bag stay to the far right.

I can take the tub out and put it on the ground to root around for whatever I need; pretty handy that way.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Here's what worked for the gear we store in the front storage locker.

I shopped at Walmart, because it was easy in that they have a lot of containers, and a lot of camping items. I literally got my cart, loaded up different containers, wheeled over to the camping section, and tried them out.

We have really liked these clear bins with the lids.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...er-141305.html

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Can you tell what size the Rubbermaid tub is?
My AS is in storage, about 20 miles from here. I can say that it is about an inch narrower than the opening for width, maybe 4-5" on the height. It's pretty easy to get in or out if nothing is blocking the door. The only problem I have is when I want something out of it and the hose, power cable and mat are already in there. I have to wrestle it out, but that's usually just at the house when I'm not hooked up.

It's just an open tub, nothing fancy, but it worked for the PO and I find it easy to just put all the little things in there. Since there's no top, it's easy to find stuff too, kind of like the kitchen junk drawer

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:37 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
I have a 2015 30 Ft FC with a trunk. I use three plastic tubs that almost fill the opening width and depth. I use one for water related items, one for electrical adapters, extension cords, and such, and one for the 50 amp power cord. There is room in front of the containers and the door for a few plastic jars containing smaller items. To save fighting the heavy 50 amp cord, I remove the box containing the cord and only uncoil the amount of cord I need for the hookup.

I realize this is not a 23 ft Airstream, but wanted to share to show our solution.

See you down the road.