Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
Squeaky floor in the bedroom

Ever since we took our 28FB on the first trip I noticed that the floor on one side of the bed squeaks heavily. I talked to the dealer a couple of times (not the one we purchased it from) and basically what they said is that's Airstream and they did not want to do anything about it.

The floor is great everywhere else expect on my side of the bed, and it's been bugging me this whole season. If I get up in the middle of the night or early in the morning I pretty much wake everyone up.

Anyone has suggestions what to do? Call Airstream? I have factory warranty until April and got the extended warranty sold by the dealer. But I have a feeling that if it doesn't get fixed during the factory warranty period I will stay like that and probably get worse.

What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks!
happycampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There's a simple fix involving moving the vinyl trim away from the wall in the area of the squeak.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
a shot of Teflon spray (dries to a white powder) has stopped some really hard to find squeaks... Also, Talcum Powder... shake liberally around area and stop around to get the pieces to move and hopefully allow the power to get between the surfaces.

The Talcum worked great on our laminate in our home. Just reapply when squeak returns..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
City , Maryland
What you described is exactly the sound we experienced when we took delivery of our 30fb. It was in the front bedroom under the curbside window.

The tech at colonial AS described the exact fix ovelander63 mentioned above!
Alumalarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
So did Colonial AS do it for you or you had to do it yourself? I feel like it's a defect that should have been caught and fixed in AS factory before delivering it.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
Sounds interesting, do you have a link that describes the procedure?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Larkspur , Colorado
The same thing happened on our 27 fb. We found it before we took possession and the dealer removed the trim and screwed the floor down. No more squeaks! Our dealer is Windish in Denver.
MHammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Just spent our first weekend in 2017 Classic and noticed the same thing.
Mldun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
We just took delivery of our 2017 27FB Int. Serenity and have a similar issue. The floor squeaks midway along the passenger side of the bed. Unfortunately, we did not notice this until after taking delivery.

I've discuss this with an Airstream tech. While he has not seen the trailer to verify the problem source, he surmised that the subfloor is not securely attached to the trailer frame. I'm guessing that he is right.

We discussed how this would be corrected and he said that in all probability the floor would be shimmed against the trailer frame. He told me that an Airstream dealership should be able to handle this, but that they could of course provide repair at Jackson Center. If the diagnosis is confirmed, this is a much better solution than what I had feared. Short of pulling all furnishings out of the trailer in order to pull up the floor for repairs, they would have to run screws down through the floor itself (an unacceptable solution).

BTW, we had our first shakedown this weekend past and most everything looked very nice. I still need to figure out how the portable Zamp and the roof mount solar will work in conjunction (I posted a separate not on this 25Sep.), but on an overall basis we are very pleased with "Something Shiny"!
ProPride hitch, 1400#
2018 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #10

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
Check the moulding between the alum walls and the floor.
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We stopped at Airstream Adventures Northwest in Boise and the tech confirmed what has been previously mentioned, in that it is the vinyl molding rubbing on the vinyl floor. He loosened the trip and applied a little lubricant and it went away.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
Check the moulding between the alum walls and the floor.
Thanks! That's worth a try. I will look into it.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #13
Stardust

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Seabrook , Texas
We had the same problem Jackson Crnter fixed it this summer. They said it is caused by the furniture not screwed down properly most likely. That was it! Otherwise they would need to drop tanks or something?
I also told them about us not getting service in a reasonable time frame. The service writer told me they are well aware of this problem and are going to start cracking down on dealers. I would call Jackson Center and tell them about the problem.
If you can make the trip there I highly recommend it. They were great and the factory tour was worth the trip!
nwdionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
squeek, squeek...

We have had this problem since we purchased new, in kitchen area. It seems to have gotten worse and I can stand in one spot and shift weight from side to side on my feet, and get a "rhythm" going if I want to...sounds more like subfloor issues...and obviously, not unique to just our AS...anyone else have this issue in kitchen?
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampr View Post
Ever since we took our 28FB on the first trip I noticed that the floor on one side of the bed squeaks heavily. I talked to the dealer a couple of times (not the one we purchased it from) and basically what they said is that's Airstream and they did not want to do anything about it.

The floor is great everywhere else expect on my side of the bed, and it's been bugging me this whole season. If I get up in the middle of the night or early in the morning I pretty much wake everyone up.

Anyone has suggestions what to do? Call Airstream? I have factory warranty until April and got the extended warranty sold by the dealer. But I have a feeling that if it doesn't get fixed during the factory warranty period I will stay like that and probably get worse.

What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks!
It's a mouse; get a cat!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We have had this problem since we purchased new, in kitchen area. It seems to have gotten worse and I can stand in one spot and shift weight from side to side on my feet, and get a "rhythm" going if I want to...sounds more like subfloor issues...and obviously, not unique to just our AS...anyone else have this issue in kitchen?
Yes.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Squeek

Ours did same thing on side of rear bed. Our dealer removed molding between wall and floor, caulked between floor and wall, replaced molding, problem solved. It's caused by friction.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Streamer View Post
Ours did same thing on side of rear bed. Our dealer removed molding between wall and floor, caulked between floor and wall, replaced molding, problem solved. It's caused by friction.
Same thing exactly with our 28' 2009 International Ocean Breeze. Squeaking molding. In our case, a few more screws fixed the problem.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdionne View Post
We had the same problem Jackson Crnter fixed it this summer. They said it is caused by the furniture not screwed down properly most likely. That was it! Otherwise they would need to drop tanks or something?
I also told them about us not getting service in a reasonable time frame. The service writer told me they are well aware of this problem and are going to start cracking down on dealers. I would call Jackson Center and tell them about the problem.
If you can make the trip there I highly recommend it. They were great and the factory tour was worth the trip!
I ended up calling the AS service department in Jackson Center and got the repair scheduled. Looks like I'll be doing the factory tour as well
Old 09-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Grayslake , Illinois
have the same problem in my 2016 22 fb
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote