Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Shower Door

Has anyone else experienced problems with their beautiful glass shower door? About a year after we took delivery of our new 2013 FC 30L the shower door slipped down and could not be opened or closed without lifting it. Our fabulous maintenance crew at Colonial adjusted and then when that did not last beyond one tow, replaced the door on warrantee. That rascal is now slipping down once more.

One last thing - the technicians said that in their judgment individuals pull down on the door on entry or exit from the shower and that damages the hardware. That is not our situation but the techs have no other ideas. The screw hole in our shower door is undeformed but (did I mention?) the door has slipped.

Naturally I am reluctant to buy a new door only to repeat this cycle.

Anybody have this experience? How did you fix the problem?

Thanks!
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Ours (2017 FC 25' FB) has slipped a small amt. Thanks for the heads up, I'll start looking at this and see what the remedy is. Can't be rocket science
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Yes I have had this happen several times back in 14/15, AS warrantied the doors and about 1 yr later they started to fall again, I contacted Shower Enclosures of America (SEA) and was again awarded warranty based on the new door having a 1 yr warranty by SEA.
In my opinion, the shower door drops causing the lower wiper seal to tear off and then the top corner of the door will separate at the corner by the hinge, because it is not closed during transport. It is imperative that this door is closed and locked during transport or it will drop.
I have had good luck with a "temp" fix that is adding a flat door stop under the door below the hinge side thus lifting the door up to clear the sill and preventing it from dropping more.

Contact SEA with these complaints because they think their doors are perfect and this does not happen.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A common problem that has been discussed here. My cure was to install a shim at the bottom of the hinge. I made out of a piece of plastic cutting board. Works well.
This photo posted sideways, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	303313  
Old 02-01-2018, 06:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Thanks Wayne. That's a good work around. I'll copy your solution.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I have the same shower door problem. I called Airstream and they are sending me a repair kit. Sounds like it involves drilling a couple of small holes in the threshold and inserting the hardware on both ends, hinged and opposite side. Right now we are camping and are doing what others have done, shim up the hinged side as a temporary fix until I return home and install Airstreams fix. Hope this helps.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Thanks all for your comments. With your info I plan to call Airstream, the SEA folks for solutions. I already have done one field repair that didn’t last beyond two or three tows. Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Mine (2002 bought in 2014) fell out while towing it home from the dealer. I moved the top bracket down about 1/4" and it has been fine since. I don't know whether my wiper seal is still there or not.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I removed top plastic pin at top of door. Then installed small washer under pin. Reinstalled pin and it raised the door enough to keep sweep from tearing.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
This problem is the result of a poor design. I had the same issue with my 2012 28’ Intl CCD. I replaced the entire door with a Kohler-Sterling that I bought at Lowe’s. The crux of the problem is the bulk of the weight of the door is suspended from a small, less than 1” screw that goes from the hinge mechanism at the top into the door. The screw breaks and the door drops onto the threshold. The workaround (as noted earlier) is inserting some kind of appendage that lifts the door from the threshold. I find it unconscionable that Airstream refuses to fix this. Any tech in any Airstream dealership has repaired the shower doors, and I know that the guys at the Service Center in JC are also aware of it.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I agree with BAB's post above. We had our door fixed only to completely fall apart a couple of month's later while travelling on Vancouver Island. We had a shower door custom made at considerable expense with no trouble since then (that happened more than two years ago).
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Actually bought this months ago and just installed it... looked complicated and I worried about getting stuck without a working shower. Finally stopped avoiding the task. Drill, screw driver, hack saw, pencil, little bit of caulk (use the stuff that comes in a plastic squeeze tube - silicone here, never on aluminium skin), torpedo level ... three hard ciders, and done. I really sweated it far more than I needed to.

So far I like it, but will it hold up? We shall see. Best thing? Doesn't open into the hall or interfere with the door to the W.C.

Nautilus reteactable shower door www.stoett.com
Old 02-03-2018, 05:16 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Yesterday I called Airstream and had a great call that is worth sharing. Jon told me that Airstream now has a kit for this repair that he is sending out. The solution is as Hiho Silver described. Will describe the results after we are off the road and install the fix.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We've had all these problems in the past and had the door fixed twice. Finally we just took the door out and put in a shower curtain. It actually works better than the door inasmuch as it make the area between the shower and toilet/sink a useful place for drying off and dressing. If we ever get another Airstream, we will immediately remove the shower door.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Our door did the same thing as OP, I went to local hardware and bought a 1/2 inch plastic spacer, placed under door and siliconed in place. Problem fixed, no calls to Airstream needed
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
We've had all these problems in the past and had the door fixed twice. Finally we just took the door out and put in a shower curtain. It actually works better than the door inasmuch as it make the area between the shower and toilet/sink a useful place for drying off and dressing. If we ever get another Airstream, we will immediately remove the shower door.
How did you remove the door?
engineshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #17

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Lancaster , South Carolina
Shower door

Picking up a 2013 FC next friday and one of the items they need to fix prior to delivery is the...wait for it....shower door! :-) As I opened the door during my first walk through the rig the door shifted and out popped what looked to be a washer and when I went to close the door another washer popped out in a different direction. Was not able to fully close the door after that. Hopefully they have the latest fix from AS!
JimsRVLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
After 3 rebuilds..I installed a new door...every move i have a rubber hose under the bottom...2 of them..no more problem..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
It interests me how many others have had the same problem. That sure speaks to a design that is inappropriate for towing. FYI it was about a year ago when I rebuilt the door and installed the shims under the door. After lots of miles of travel the door is solidly in place and the shower sweep is intact.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Replaced mine with a Stoett Products Nautilus retractable shower door.