Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2015, 05:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Little Rock , Arkansas
Shake Down Cruise: Part I

Finally got the new 2015 FC 28' Twin out of the driveway for a 10 day outing at two campgrounds. We previously had a 2007 Safari 25' FB, and in between, a 36' diesel pusher and a 32' Class C. So, we have some RV experience, but I'm still amazed at how much I don't know and what I learn with each new trip. Here are some observations from our shakedown cruise on the new rig.

A. We are towing with the 2003 2500 Suburban we bought to tow our first Airstream. And, it still does the job. While I might want a new truck, my wife says the Suburban is a keeper. I have to agree there is no compelling need to replace it!

B. We ordered the FC with the Voyager rear camera installed at the factory. I was used to rear and side cameras with the motorhomes and really appreciated having the rear camera on the FC. Didn't realize how much I was missing not having the camera on the Safari. The only problem is the monitor tends to shake loose from the dash mounting if I don't get a good seal on the suction cup.

C. Used Andersen levelers for the first time. Easy and fast. Again, wish I had them with the Safari.

D. Lost the pull tab on the Zipdee awning the last time I rolled it up. Have read other threads on how to recover the tab and will be more careful in the future!

E. The door, as many others have noted, really has to be slammed shut. Will get that adjusted with other minor warranty work.

F. Other minor warranty issues: (1) a popped rivet in bedroom overhead; (2) front street side stabilizer will not come down - looks like a screw from an LP line coupler is wedged against it; (3) black tank level sensor - can we really be filling the tank in two days? - digital readout shows "0" when dumped, but about "15" after adding chemical packet and a little water and quickly reaches almost full by next day; (4) remote for tv behind dinette also turns on bedroom tv - not sure what to do about that!!!

G. Where did all the basil go? We really like the spice rack to the left of the cook top and had it packed tight on both shelves. Noticed after second leg of trip some bottles were missing from the top shelf. Figured out the basil and oregano disappeared. Only thing I can figure is they rolled under the oven and bounced down the gap between the floor and side of trailer. They definitely are not visible. Wonder if they can do any damage wherever they are? Anyhow, I got some adjustable spring loaded refrigerator shelf bars to see if they will stay in place and keep the spices in the rack.

Overall, all systems worked great, and we enjoyed the early Fall weather. Headed home to take care of some business and regroup. Heading out for Shakedown Cruise Part II in next few days. Will load the Fiamma bike rack this time and test the dual Honda 2000 generators converted for LP. Can't wait to see what I'll learn then! Meanwhile, Stonewall, our doggie, says he just wants to go!!!
hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome!
If you are bouncing things about, you might want to have the balance verified on the tire/wheels. Strange that should happen... unless you were offloading or towing over really bouncy roads.

If you have not had them done after pickup from dealer, do it. Also, consider 'Centramatic' balancers...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Awesome, welcome back!

A couple of thoughts:

We have two TVs and remotes in our 27FB. Both remotes, when aimed right (or should I say wrong), will turn both TV's on and off. Same brand TV, same remote signals. We aim a bit more carefully now and it seems to work OK most of the time (e.g. only the intended TV turns on/off).

Like many others here, we use Kamenstin magnetic spice tins. They attach quite nicely to the hood over the stove - the only spot in the trailer where anything magnetic will stick!

We're going to be really sad if your See Level sensors are not returning good results, given that we just switched to them from the awful Micropulse sensors we had before. Per the manufacturer, poor grounding is a possible cause of bad readings, so have them check that at your first warranty visit.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Little Rock , Arkansas
When the spices disappeared, we were passing through a very bumpy construction zone. Nothing else in trailer jostled around. Basil and oregano just decided to jump ship. They aren't going anywhere now with spring bars in place!
hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
Newbies

We pick up our Sport 22FB on Nov. 2nd and a new world will open up!!
Jim Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I have had trouble with things disappearing down the oven vent slot behind the stove. One was plastic and it melted when we used the oven. It's almost impossible to get anything out of there.

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Morton , Illinois
Are you aware that the bathroom sink empties into the black water tank?. If you use it a lot it will accelerate the tank fill speed. Not a good idea by AS.
Hoboplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Regarding your awning pull strap, I found the easiest way to recover it is to carry some clothes line with you. Attach a rope to each end of the awning roller, together with a helper (your wife) pull and extend the awning & the pull strap will fall out, then let the awning retract & remove the ropes.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboplayer View Post
Are you aware that the bathroom sink empties into the black water tank?. If you use it a lot it will accelerate the tank fill speed. Not a good idea by AS.
I've never seen a Bathroom sink that emptied into the Black water tank...anyone else????

JCW
Old 10-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I've never seen a Bathroom sink that emptied into the Black water tank...anyone else????

JCW
Yes I have, my 2008 Safari 28' bathroom sink emptied into the black water tank.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post

JCW
Some of the new models do.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My neighbor has a mid '70's Tradewinds that dumps the bath sink into the black tank.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Woodstock , Ontario
[QUOTE=avionstream;1701687]Some of the new models do.[/QUOTE}

Point noted... I wonder if they simply took the easy route around a difficult piping situation....glad mine goes to Grey Water

JCW