Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
It makes no sense for AS to send 100 recall kits to a dealer...where they will sit and not be used...while another dealer cannot get his hands on more kits...because AS is out of them purely because all the kits necessary to serve the affected fleet has already been sent out to dealers who don't need them, don't have customer appointments, and have no idea where to store all those bags of screws they'll never install!
Solution: Call the AS dealer where you intend to have the recall met... Make an appointment, ...call that dealer again a few days later OR have the dealer call YOU and confirm the parts are "in"... then go do it, and be finished within an hour of the appt. :wink:
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkypoodle View Post
I called our dealer after getting the letter yesterday. I wanted them mailed to me but they couldn't as per AS. Liability. Our dealer is a thousand miles away. None near me.
Will try to find some and do ourselves.
Corkypoodle,

It is easy to do yourself. I went down to the local hardware store and found the 5/16 x 18 thread cutting bolts which Airstream recommends. These are thread cutting bolts and not self tapping screws, slightly different.

Just remove the 1/4 x 14 self tapping screws, clean and re-size the holes by re-drilling with a 1/4" drill bit. Then using a good socket wrench, screw in the thread cutting bolts until tight. The thread cutting bolts make a nice set of new threads in the frame and the bolts cinch up nice and tight.

I really didn't even need to do the recall on my rig because my propride hitch install, required drilling thru the propane tank base plate and U-bolts being installed around the A-frame for the hitch mount. This bracket would have securely held the tank base in place even if there were no bolts in the base.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
My A/S dealer was told that they must use Airstream supplied bolts per the Federal recall lest they break the law.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Lest they increase liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
On second thought they would prefer to make it hard enough on customers that they ignore it or do it themselves. Why should I have to take my trailer back in a second time because the dealer hast to order and wait on the bolts from Airstream!! It is much easier to do it yourself than transport the trailer to the dealer and they know that especially for warranty where customers do the bulk of it saving them millions in the long term. The dealer not having a supply of the bolts to install when a customer has it in the shop should be the only thing that is criminal.

2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
Old 03-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
On second thought they would prefer to make it hard enough on customers that they ignore it or do it themselves. Why should I have to take my trailer back in a second time because the dealer hast to order and wait on the bolts from Airstream!! It is much easier to do it yourself than transport the trailer to the dealer and they know that especially for warranty where customers do the bulk of it saving them millions in the long term. The dealer not having a supply of the bolts to install when a customer has it in the shop should be the only thing that is criminal.

This really isn't a conspiracy.

This is a Federal mandated recall, therefore they have to follow the letter of the law or suffer penalties from the Federal Government. In addition they have to document with the Federal government that the recall service was properly performed or they are setting themselves up for a series of expensive lawsuit losses.

Therefore all bolts have to be ordered by the dealer using a VIN# to obtain the bolts. Then the bolts have to be physically installed by the dealer and the AS owner must sign and verify that the work was performed. This is our government at work, it isn't Airstream's policy. That's why they can't send you the $0.24 bolts and have you perform your own recall service.

I live 8 hours from my closest dealer and I was not going to pay for gas, wear & tear, etc to replace 4, $0.24 bolts. So I did it myself and now if my tanks fall off and explode, I am liable because I didn't let Airstream install them. However I will sleep peacefully assuming that risk.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I have dealt with plenty of vehicle recalls over the years. Never, I say never have I gone in and been told by a dealer that they needed to order the parts specific to my vehicle and bring it back when they are in. Nope they just put the parts in along with whatever else I brought it in for. Respectfully I don't buy it.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Understand, Search sucks here!
Google search works great.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote