Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Running the furnace in a 2011 23FB FC

Quick question..
We were on our break in trip this last weekend.
40 degrees the first night. 90 degrees by the time we were packing up.
I wanted to run the furnace alone, but every time I selected furnace in the "mode" section on the thermostat, the furnace AND the heat pump both came on.
Is there any way to run the furnace without the heat pump coming on?

The furnace worked great, and so did the A/C later when we needed it.

Also, the zone feature on the thermostat must be for two A/C units, right?
Certainly no zones in. 23FB.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
You have the latest "round" CCC. I'll be interested to see what the replies are from others who have the same setup.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Forty degrees is about the temp the heat pump will shut down and the furnace will take over automatically as the temperature falls and the heat pump is no longer efficient. I believe if you let them run for a bit longer, the heat pump would have shut down.

The zone function on ours shows nothing either, as you say would be for an additional A/C unit in a larger trailer.

doug k
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Quick question..
We were on our break in trip this last weekend.
40 degrees the first night. 90 degrees by the time we were packing up.
I wanted to run the furnace alone, but every time I selected furnace in the "mode" section on the thermostat, the furnace AND the heat pump both came on.
Is there any way to run the furnace without the heat pump coming on?

The furnace worked great, and so did the A/C later when we needed it.

Also, the zone feature on the thermostat must be for two A/C units, right?
Certainly no zones in. 23FB.

Thanks,
Jeff
Last time out I ran into much the same problem, and it was late (past midnight). With the missus sleeping soundly, I attempted to turn on the furnace and in the process apparently tripped the HP. I wound up punching buttons galore, to no avail.

However, in the morning, determined to get to the bottom of things, I went to the Dometic manual and read.

Basically, I think/hope that in the process of button punching, I confused said thermostat. The manual (and I personally think it was written by the same wordsmiths that did the earlier versions of MS Word), suggested a reset; which I did, and after that, the furnace seemed to work as you would expect.

Having said all the above, I only used the furnace once, and further nights camping will reveal whether I found the solution or not.

I have my fingers crossed. ;^)

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Ha! You guys are scaring me.

The guy at the dealership had no clue. I did a reset per the instructions, but it still ran them both.
The furnace makes about a third of the noise of the heat pump. In fact the heat pump seemed louder than the A/C, that must be related to the fan speed setting.
The heat pump was so loud, it woke up the wife when it came on..

Hopefully I can get this sorted out. My favorite camp sites and times are almost all more comfortable with the furnace on.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Well, till you come up with a better solution, I guess you could go to the breaker box and turn off the one for the AC. Unless that's what powers the control center too.

I'll admit, it seems like there should be a way for you to choose.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Something's not right. I know I can easily choose between HP and FURN on my control unit. First time I ran my furnace it was setting off my smoke alarm and didn't smell so good. So I used the HP to get me through the night then the next day I opened all the windows and ran the furnace full bore until it burned off whatever the smell was. Point is that it was probably 60 degrees outside during the day when I had it running.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
Bike Addict - We have the same set up as you and on her "maiden voyage" I turned on the furnace and set off the smoke detector also. Finally, after two more tries we were able to run it without setting off the detector. I talked to the dealer and he stated that the furnaces come with some oil sprayed in them for protection (I don't know from what). He apologized and said they should have ran the furnace a few more cycles during set up.
GettinAway - My HP and furnace function separately just like it says they are supposed to. I know also that as you cycle through the settings, if you stay on the setting too long the HP will come on and it takes two to three minutes before it will shuts down (just like the AC does). Maybe the HP was shutting down while the furnace was starting?? (Just a guess)
Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I was told that they automatically come on together in the furnace mode.
Someone in JC told me that.
Apparently, you can do some kind of adjustment to the A/C unit on the roof, that might stop it from coming on.
I think I will just unplug from a power source. When I'm on battery, the heat pump won't run..
Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I can assure that's not how mine runs. They are completely separate.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
I can assure that's not how mine runs. They are completely separate.
I got the info from someone in home office..

Thank you, really.. I guess it's a new system, nobody knows how to work it..
Old 05-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
2008 16' International
Dunedin , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway

I got the info from someone in home office..

Thank you, really.. I guess it's a new system, nobody knows how to work it..
On the last page of the Dometic Manual there are instructions for resetting the controller. I have had to do this several times. It works in getting the the furnace to stop running along with the AC. This controller is overkill for a one zone set up such as ours but it will work with some experimentation on your part with the reset system. I say "experimentation" because it does not work just as the manual suggests. I turn the controller off then hold down the mode and zone buttons at the same time until "zone one" is showing. Then you should be able to turn the controller on and click the mode setting to the setting you desire. Also fairly frequently I have to flip the breaker back on for the AC because various scenarios cause it to flip off such as a brown out in the park or the use of another appliance (the microwave or a hair dryer)
In the trailer. although this is not related, I had the AC unit replaced under warranty because it was not getting cold enough. At that time the repairman had to come back out to reset the new unit on the roof. That is the factory reset that is mentioned in the manual. That was done just once. The other problem can be handled yourself
by patiently getting to know the controller that I am sure was designed for a large boat with four zones to heat and cool. I hope this helps. Just another charming little quirk of our airstream which we now call "CLQ's!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Great! I've reset it many times, but I kept getting the same result.. I'll try this.
I have hope. It will be nice, if I don't have to remember to unplug the AS before calling it a night.
Ha
Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Some of the "cheaper" controllers in the SOBs I work on are set up so the a/c-heat pump will come on if you turn the furnace on. I've discovered setting the fan select to "auto" will stop this. You can try it.
Also, on those furnaces setting off the smoke alarm, the "oil" is there to keep the steel parts from rusting before use. It's annoying, at best, and I try to run the furnaces to get the worst of the stench out of them. In Summer, when it's 100 degrees, that's tough...