Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #21
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I can only get zone 3 to appear. No matter what I do zone 3 is the only setting.
It's 90+ degrees today, so I was trying to get the AC to work, which it does fine, but I still thought I should be able to get it set up in zone 1. No can do..
The thermostat may indeed be bad.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terratravels View Post
On the last page of the Dometic Manual there are instructions for resetting the controller. I have had to do this several times. It works in getting the the furnace to stop running along with the AC. This controller is overkill for a one zone set up such as ours but it will work with some experimentation on your part with the reset system. I say "experimentation" because it does not work just as the manual suggests. I turn the controller off then hold down the mode and zone buttons at the same time until "zone one" is showing. Then you should be able to turn the controller on and click the mode setting to the setting you desire. Also fairly frequently I have to flip the breaker back on for the AC because various scenarios cause it to flip off such as a brown out in the park or the use of another appliance (the microwave or a hair dryer)
In the trailer. although this is not related, I had the AC unit replaced under warranty because it was not getting cold enough. At that time the repairman had to come back out to reset the new unit on the roof. That is the factory reset that is mentioned in the manual. That was done just once. The other problem can be handled yourself
by patiently getting to know the controller that I am sure was designed for a large boat with four zones to heat and cool. I hope this helps. Just another charming little quirk of our airstream which we now call "CLQ's!
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I can only get zone 3 to appear. No matter what I do zone 3 is the only setting.
It's 90+ degrees today, so I was trying to get the AC to work, which it does fine, but I still thought I should be able to get it set up in zone 1. No can do..
The thermostat may indeed be bad.

Jeff
If your A/C works on zone 3 only, I would bet that it has been improperly set by whoever installed it. There is a strip of 'dip switches' located on the relay board. These are red and white. Look at the way they are set. You should have no zone switch set to 'on' and the furnace should be set to 'on'. All the others should be set to 'off'.

You should then re-set your thermostat and zone one should appear in the window of the t/stat. Furnace should also be there as you toggle thru the modes. I would not count on the t/stat being bad until you confirm that he dip switches are properly set for your unit.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #23
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
If your A/C works on zone 3 only, I would bet that it has been improperly set by whoever installed it. There is a strip of 'dip switches' located on the relay board. These are red and white. Look at the way they are set. You should have no zone switch set to 'on' and the furnace should be set to 'on'. All the others should be set to 'off'.

You should then re-set your thermostat and zone one should appear in the window of the t/stat. Furnace should also be there as you toggle thru the modes. I would not count on the t/stat being bad until you confirm that he dip switches are properly set for your unit.
Thank you Lewster,
One small problem, where is the relay board? And where will the dip switches be on the board? I'm hoping this solves the problems..
Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Thank you Lewster,
One small problem, where is the relay board? And where will the dip switches be on the board? I'm hoping this solves the problems..
Thanks again,
Jeff
The relay board is usually under the shroud of the A/C unit. On the curb side of the unit, you will see a small metal door held on by 2 sheet metal screws. The relay boards on the Dometic heat pumps are normally located behind that little door.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Can you move through the options to HP mode and shut it off? That works for us and then we can go to furnace and adjust the temp until the furnace (only) comes on. Agreed the HP in heat mode is like a hurricane caught inside your AS.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I have seen the light!! I am very fortunate, two guys from the home office came out to St Louis to work on my 23FC FB. I had issues with the white corrosion that they took care of.
I also reviewed what I thought was wrong with my thermostat. That the furnace would not come on without the heat pump coming on..
As it turns out, if I run "furnace" in "mode" and have the fan set to "automatic" instead of low, med, or high, the furnace comes on without the heat pump!!
I guess I had never tried that option.. So problem is solved!!
Thank you Dave and Tim for coming all the way from Jackson Center, Ohio to fix my AS. They are great guys!! I am very impressed with the way AS handled this.

Jeff
Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
2008 16' International
Dunedin , Florida
Ah! This must be the "charming little quirk" that I could not identify! I mostly keep mine on Automatic. Now I know what I was doing right!
Terratravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quirk indeed!

The older CCC-I doesn't have this 'operational anomaly'. Very interesting.

Interesting also, I generally suggest to all of my clients to leave the fan set on 'HI' and not 'auto'. This may be a personal preference, but after full-timing in a 40' diesel pusher motor home in warm climates, I was using at least one and mostly both roof air conditioners a lot. The 'auto' setting will shut the entire unit (both fan and compressor) when the thermostat is satisfied.

I prefer to have the fan running constantly and have the compressor cycling. This provides better overall air flow within the RV and also is better when you are sleeping, as the fan provides 'white noise' so you hardly hear the compressor kick on. Both fan and compressor engaging and shutting down at approximately the same time on 'auto' would interrupt my sleep. YMMV!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Our 2011 FC23FB thermostat has three setting - Furnace, Heat Pump or Auto. I always select either Furnace or Heat Pump, and they never try to work simultaneously. We prefer Furnace as it is quieter and better warms the Bath and BR through the small ducts.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #30
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Our 2011 FC23FB thermostat has three setting - Furnace, Heat Pump or Auto. I always select either Furnace or Heat Pump, and they never try to work simultaneously. We prefer Furnace as it is quieter and better warms the Bath and BR through the small ducts.
We must have different thermostats. I have 9 buttons, I think. There are different fan speeds, and a auto setting. We want to run the furnace only for the reasons you stated. (plus if you've ever heard the heat pump, you'll never want to run it at night..)
I just couldn't figure out how to run the furnace without the heat pump. Running the fan on auto fixes it. Heading for Canada soon, looks like nighttime temps in the 50s. Probably won't need furnace, or A-C..

Jeff
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Same here. I press the "Mode" button repeatedly to cycle thru HP-FURN-COOL-AUTO-FAN.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote