Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Running AC while using convection microwave

We have a 2017 25FB with 30 amp electrical service, 15000 btu AC, and convection microwave. This weekend, with temps in the mid nineties, my wife exclaimed there must be a way to keep the AC running while using the convection oven. The break throws when she tries to run both. This is our second Airstream with similar setup and the same power challenge.

Any insight we may have not considered?

She likes the convection microwave over the gas oven.

FishByFly
because I catch fish on a fly...

2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
2010 F250 Lariat

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nothing other than an upgrade to 59 amp, or a completely separate 20 amp power cord to the pedestal for the microwave.

30 amps is 30 amps, and that's all you can push through the wire....without breaker popping or a meltdown.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Repeated breaker popping can damage the items it powers.

On our 1999 we ran on 30 AMP... AC and MW/conv ... We had to shut off the electric water heater, fridge on to propane and shut off the converter. Only power draw was MW and AC.

That was unacceptable. Especially Texas summer heat on our 34' and one AC.

I upgraded to 50 Amp...
Installed AC 2,
my Bride can turn all the electrics on and no "popping" breakers.

I know... I learn so slowly... But, Bride can crank AC however cold works for her.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
I bought a power cord with plug that can be placed between the Airstream and the 30 amp socket that read amps and watts. This way you can see what appliance draws what. The AC will use about 11 amps. The microwave about the same. Also, the electric water heater is close to the draw of the AC. You can run the AC and the microwave on 30 amps together if only gas water heater. But, you have to watch you don't ask to run something else, like a hair dryer!
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
We have a 2017 25FB with 30 amp electrical service, 15000 btu AC, and convection microwave. This weekend, with temps in the mid nineties, my wife exclaimed there must be a way to keep the AC running while using the convection oven. The break throws when she tries to run both. This is our second Airstream with similar setup and the same power challenge.

Any insight we may have not considered?
I have this mod:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...0v-119935.html

Which allows me to see what's going on.

Typically, yes, you can run them both at once, but:
1) You must shut off everything else, including the fridge (put it on gas) and possibly the converter
2) You have to put the air conditioner fan on low, which reduces the current draw by a few amps.
3) You have to have good voltage at the campground, because if the voltage is low, the air conditioner will draw more amps.

On a "30a" service you're supposed to be able to draw 24 amps continuously without tripping a breaker. I sometimes push it a little but figure anything over 26 amps is risking a trip.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Anytime we run the A/C, the water heater and fridge go on propane. Breaker didn't always trip but it is less of an inconvenience to put the two appliances on propane.