Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
replacement for shower door lockey thing

Just started using my 2010 25FB. I find that the plastic do-hickey that keeps the shower door closed - works to good. When in the shower - you can't get out. Perhaps bent a little? Poor design. Has anybody replaced this with something? Hate to require having my wife available in the trailer to let me out of the shower when done.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
Just started using my 2010 25FB. I find that the plastic do-hickey that keeps the shower door closed - works to good. When in the shower - you can't get out. Perhaps bent a little? Poor design. Has anybody replaced this with something? Hate to require having my wife available in the trailer to let me out of the shower when done.
Since it's a 2010 it probably uses one of these...Shower Door Latch- Black 703626-100 [703626-100] - $3.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Prior to 2007 they used a different latch p/n 381403 which they no longer make and are very hard to find, so something would most likely need to be fabricated.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Isn't the round knob on the inside of the shower supposed to let you out?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Isn't the round knob on the inside of the shower supposed to let you out?
Yes, assuming he has such a knob. It's possible a PO replaced the knob with a screw or nut as part of a DIY repair.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
thanks - just ordered the replacement. The outside part is bent just a little - but enough that moving it from the inside does not result in clearing the door -- need to actually push it left from the outside. Very little room for clearing - thus if just bent a little (like mine) - it doesn't work.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
I have found the same thing happens in my Safari.

I am so surprised by the poor quality of the shower door 'fabric' ----it's SO flimsy...I figured it would break within a week while traveling with two boys and my partner, so I hung the curtain instead.
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Easy to replace with the aforementioned part.

Everybody has to learn to make sure that they crank the knob all the way counterclockwise from the inside or outside before putting pressure on the door to open. We went thru three of them initially, but now it's automatic for all of us and the last replacement's been going strong fur 4 years now! It's a design weakness, but it is behavior that can be learned!

Another iffy part is the large plastic slider in our screen doors. If one leaves it in the halfway open or halfway closed position when folding the screen door into the main door, the inside door handle of the main door begins to destroy the brush-like insect screen in the gap in the plastic part and eventually it becomes a small bug door--lovely in summer evenings with lights on inside and the screen door rendered worthless. One person in my family still hasn't mastered the concept here although they have it for the shower door: all moving parts on the shower door and on the screen door are to be either all the way open or all the way closed--never in between! With that little mantra, all is good.

The shower door knobs are very inexpensive--the shipping may cost more than the part-- so order three so you have two backups.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote