Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Remove micro for storage

Need advice on best approach to reconfigure microwave area to use as storage on 2015 23' FC FB. We would prefer matching the interior woodwork and use appropriate hinges that lift a door rather than swing from the side. Have you modified this space and if so what worked? Do you have an approach that would be preferable?
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Being extrordinarily lazy, I'd just USE the microwave to store paper towels, paper plates & cups, and any other soft goods I needed to store. It costs nothing, and if I ever decided to sell - if the buyer wanted a microwave - voila!

I presume you could buy a matching frame, door and hinges from Airstream - through your local dealer, though I'm not sure whether the microwave space is the same length as a standard cabinet. Is the microwave an option in the 23 FB or is it a standard feature?
Old 04-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #3

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Our goal is a first class functional modification that matches the interior.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Old 04-24-2016, 01:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yep you've got a call to the factory - see you're in Oregon so a visit to the mothership probably isn't in your immediate future is it. I don't know if they'll sell you the bits and pieces you need directly or whether they'll want to ship them through the dealer.

I just went to look at pictures of your model. With the microwave over the refrigerator I'd want to toss it too. I'm not inordinately clumsy, but - yikes, drop anything hot from a microwave that high and the scald hazard would be major.

It looks like you could use either a flat panel or a curved one like you have on the other side overhead cabinets, but you'd DO look at other models like the 25 & 27 FB's you'll see that they have smaller cabinets over the refrigerator with FLAT panels- they do lift up - but annoyingly don't use the same kind of spring loaded hinge as the curved panels have... so they'll fall back down if you need to make any kind of 2 handed grab. So if you do decide to order a flat panel from the factory - also spec out the regular lift handles that the other overhead cabinets have.

If you choose a curved door, do be aware that they are not real wood, but are foam core extrusion. That means the width of the refrigerator space needs to be the same as one of the matching curved doors - or when you cut it to shorten it, you'll see raw white foam on the edge, and how you finish or fix that I don't know.

Last, in my business we have a contractor who specializes in handicap conversions - and they have overhead cabinets that can pull out like a drawer, then pull DOWN. They're designed for people in wheelchairs, and are probably hugely expensive, but that kind of setup would be really handy since the cabinet you're planning on making is going to be a lot deeper front to back than the other overheads. I always have my little folding stool that I need to use to SEE to the back of the overhead cabinets and most of them are little more than a foot deep front to back.

We all love our Airstreams - and we all tweak them too! Show us the work when it's finished please.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robere View Post
Need advice on best approach to reconfigure microwave area to use as storage on 2015 23' FC FB. We would prefer matching the interior woodwork and use appropriate hinges that lift a door rather than swing from the side. Have you modified this space and if so what worked? Do you have an approach that would be preferable?

We like our FC23FB microwave as is, but I can see the utility of additional storage. We put the basket of fresh fruit in the microwave while rolling. Not a huge project with moderate woodworking skills. Airstream will sell panels of the same finish as the walls. Flat panel is fine, curved like the overheads would not fit at the sides. Cut to size. Use hidden spring loaded hinges at the top with a small lift cylinder. Cabinet latch at the bottom. Slide-out drawers or shelves would be nice (hardware from ACE or Lowes). Have fun - it's yours to customize!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thanks. AS wants $140 for a door to match plus hardware. My nephew who is a cabinet maker has taken on the project and I'll post photos when complete. So far we seem to be a minority as to the importance of a microwave over storage. I suspect being primarily interested in boon docking rather than RV parks sends us another direction enjoying the AS. Also we adventure for periods exceeding a few days or weeks. Just another way of enjoying the AS.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Just a thought. We reconfigured a cab in ours . My wife came up with the idea to do a flat door with a dry erase surface. They also make a magnetic paint so you can stick up notes etc. Otherwise you can take a door from another cab and your measurements to a local cab shop. They may have the bits and jigs to match it up.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #8

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Cool

Follow up: My cabinet maker nephew designed and constructed a door with identical hinges and identical cashew colored laminate from Home Depot. The door swings up, is flat, and appears factory made . Additional wood supports were added to each interior side of the (microwave) cabinet to attach the hinges.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Would it be possible for you to post some pictures? Thanks, Cameron
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote