Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
REFER switch - when to use?

Can someone explain the refer switch and when I should use it? Looks like it has two settings – either "refer" or "fan SW". I'm just not sure what it's for or if I should have it on here at the beach in the rv park.
Arnoldjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
If it is for fridge fan, I run mine all the time. Refer to your manuel. My AS ten yeRs old and switch by the door and does not say anything.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldjeff View Post
Can someone explain the refer switch and when I should use it? Looks like it has two settings – either "refer" or "fan SW". I'm just not sure what it's for or if I should have it on here at the beach in the rv park.

Arnoldjeff...check the manual for function. We have a switch by the door that controls the fan. It's either on or off...not sure about "refer" or "fan SW".

The refer fan is (assuming the switch is on) controlled by a thermostat usually screwed to the cooling fans. I believe it is a 85 degree threshold. It usually is loud and annoying and generally won't last more than a few years.

Turn the switch on and leave it on.

You can live with it and replace it with the same OEM fan when it fails. It's just a matter of time.

Opening the upper exterior refer door helps immensely...did I say immensely immensely. I was blown away how fast the fan urn off when the temp dropped. minutes. The cooler the fins, the better effeciency of the refer and the longer the life.

If you want do spend the best $20 mod...read the link.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...an-151523.html

In this link AWCHIEF's post #4 has a link to a very long link. There is a lot of good information contained..note however that many of those posts are for generally older units with a different refer heat venting system and that owners have incorporated much flashing. Here too is the link in the 20 footers thread...couldn't be too different for a 19 from a 20 of similar vintage.

"Here is a link to the 20's thread with my post and pics # #711 and discussion continuing for a few pages.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1774433 "

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote