Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
BP1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Frederick , Maryland
Question on towing an Airstream

I am refining my decision on which Airstream best suits my needs and I believe it is come down to either 20 or 22 foot model. I would like to share with you some of my considerations, and please let me know if you agree or not with them.
As I have mentioned before I will be traveling some in the summer, but mostly in the fall in northern states with my two full size dogs. As there are just three of us I am focusing on the smaller models yet large enough to give us breathing room and some "space".
Another reason for centering in on the 20 to 22 foot model is maneuverability. I have been advised by several trailer owners that managing turns in small towns can be difficult with larger trailers where intersections were designed for the horse and carriage. Another is wear on the tow vehicle. My car has 362 horsepower and can tow 7,500 GVW, so that is not the concern; it is wear and tear. A friend who towed a 30 foot trailer around the US and Canada on vacations indicated that the wear on a tow vehicles support systems is substantive and rarely discussed. Is this true or not?
Are there any takers on my decision on size, and usability; yea, nay or indifferent?
Best, BP

Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
IMO, small is good. We travel for months at a time with two people and two dogs in our 20". We like getting in to the smaller places to camp and the maneuverability is a plus.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1 View Post
I am refining my decision on which Airstream best suits my needs and I believe it is come down to either 20 or 22 foot model. I would like to share with you some of my considerations, and please let me know if you agree or not with them.
As I have mentioned before I will be traveling some in the summer, but mostly in the fall in northern states with my two full size dogs. As there are just three of us I am focusing on the smaller models yet large enough to give us breathing room and some "space".
Another reason for centering in on the 20 to 22 foot model is maneuverability. I have been advised by several trailer owners that managing turns in small towns can be difficult with larger trailers where intersections were designed for the horse and carriage. Another is wear on the tow vehicle. My car has 362 horsepower and can tow 7,500 GVW, so that is not the concern; it is wear and tear. A friend who towed a 30 foot trailer around the US and Canada on vacations indicated that the wear on a tow vehicles support systems is substantive and rarely discussed. Is this true or not?
Are there any takers on my decision on size, and usability; yea, nay or indifferent?
Best, BP
The wear and tear on a tow vehicle, is directly related to how it's equipped, and used.

Factory tanny coolers are a joke if the vehicle is going to tow a trailer. They are a MUST for towing.

Proper tires, proper inflation is also a big must.

Then there is the gear ratio, that is typically designed t maximize fuel mileage but at the expense of torque. Having a gear ratio designed for towing, will lower the fuel mileage when not towing, but by the same token, it raises the fuel mileage "when" towing. It also make the wear and tear on the drive system, considerably lower.

Every rig (trailer and tow vehicle) combination, should be looked at for what it can or cannot do, separate and aside from someone else's experience, even with the same exact rigging, since driving habits also play a part of the overall performance, and, wear and tear.

Andy
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've a considered space a +, especially once you get holed up in a trailer for a period of bad weather. My local dealer says his trade in rate for small Airstreams is higher due to the fact that the original purchasers realize after a few trips out that that cute little trailer is a little too small. I just don't believe 2 foot longer trailer is going to be an issue for you.

I've been pulling trailers from 21' to 30' for almost 30 years now and I've never run into an issue when pulling through a town where turning is an issue. Personally I'd think that towing through big city streets would present more turning issues due to the way some folks park and the way trucks double park while unloading. Thankfully most of us don't tow in those conditions and small towns present little if any challenges.

I have seen issues in some campgrounds where tight road loops and trees and posts on the edge of the roads cause to you take special care. Add in a mix of long tow vehicles who's owners let them stick out into the campground road, I'd state that you probably will need to use more caution in those circumstances when turning than on a small town street.

Obviously the weight of any trailer and your towing capacity for your vehicle trumps all and that issue will dictate what you can tow. I assume that your vehicle can handle the weight of the 20 or 22 foot unit.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
A friend who towed a 30 foot trailer around the US and Canada on vacations indicated that the wear on a tow vehicles support systems is substantive and rarely discussed. Is this true or not?
Best, BP
Some good points so far.

Also... our 150HP V6 Nissan Van was a TV for many years and after 450,000Klm's the drivetrain and suspension was problem free with the exception of a pair of tie rod ends and adding heavy duty shocks on the rear.
I guess others have not been so lucky.

A 20' is small for the 3 of you IMHO.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Maneuverability is much more limited by tow vehicle wheelbase than trailer length.

doug k
Old 11-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
As there are just three of us I am focusing on the smaller models yet large enough to give us breathing room and some "space".
False This is not enough breathing room for three humans and two dogs if that is what you mean by "the three of us." If it is you and two dogs, then you will be fine.
Another reason for centering in on the 20 to 22 foot model is maneuverability. I have been advised by several trailer owners that managing turns in small towns can be difficult with larger trailers where intersections were designed for the horse and carriage.
FalseThis is pure baloney.
Another is wear on the tow vehicle. My car has 362 horsepower and can tow 7,500 GVW, so that is not the concern; it is wear and tear. A friend who towed a 30 foot trailer around the US and Canada on vacations indicated that the wear on a tow vehicles support systems is substantive and rarely discussed. Is this true or not?
FalseI have never worn out a tow vehicle. Properly selected for the size and weight of the trailer, and properly maintained, there is no "substantive" wear.
Opinion 25' is a good size for what you describe, 27' is my favorite.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
BP1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Frederick , Maryland
Thanks all, this is what I am looking for in advice.

However Andy Rogozinski, what is a "Tanny Cooler"? Remember, I am new and the jargon is alien to me. Now if you want to know what A mathematical function called the wavefunction that provides information about the probability amplitude of position, momentum, and other physical properties of a particle are, just drop me a line!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:

However Andy Rogozinski, what is a "Tanny Cooler"? Remember, I am new and the jargon is alien to me. Now if you want to know what A mathematical function called the wavefunction that provides information about the probability amplitude of position, momentum, and other physical properties of a particle are, just drop me a line!
Transmission Oil Cooler. Factory fitted coolers are poor, an after market cooler, fitted correctly, is a sensible must.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Sorry, was in a hurry.

The word "tanny" is supposed to be tranny, short for transmission.

Proof reading takes a little time.

Andy
Old 11-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We have towed our almost 4 ton 31' Sovereign for almost 50000 miles now over the last 7 years with our similarly powered Nissan Titan. Other than routine maintenance we have had no problems with the Titan (knock on wood) and it is rolling towards 150,000 miles. So I am a little skeptical about the "additional wear and tear" notion.

Never have faced a turning/maneuvering problem as described by your allegedly knowledgeable towing friends and my rig is over 50' long when saddled up.

We do half time, two adults a small dog and a cat, so we need the extra tankage, storage and space of our '31. For a few weeks at a time, 23' would probable be okay and 25' better.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
IHMO, any problems with your tow vehicle will be related to heat. The poster who recommended the transmission cooler is right on.

The real question might actually end up being, "How fast do you want to be able to tow this thing?" If you want to run 10 over the limit up a 6% grade, you'll have to pick you TV (and cooling systems) for that duty.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
In response to the replies from people who recommend going bigger, I will repeat something I have posted before: my wife and I and our large dog spend at least a month a year (in northern areas) in our 19" 2002 Bambi and have no feeling of being cramped. We happen to spend most of each day outside, inclement weather or not. I recommend going to a dealer, sitting and standing in various sizes of Airstreams, and seeing what "feels" best to you. You might find that small seems spacious or cramped; it is entirely up to your perceptions.

Jcanavera says, "My local dealer says his trade in rate for small Airstreams is higher due to the fact that the original purchasers realize after a few trips out that that cute little trailer is a little too small." That is an interesting observation because we have friends who are interested in a small used Airstream and have noted the difficulty of finding them.

Tim
Old 11-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Sound Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
...I recommend going to a dealer, sitting and standing in various sizes of Airstreams, and seeing what "feels" best to you. You might find that small seems spacious or cramped; it is entirely up to your perceptions.

Tim
Tim A. nails it. We all have different perceptions of what is spacious and what is cramped. Once, in an RV park in Pensacola, a couple with a slightly smaller Airstream asked to see our 23.' They oohed and awed about how much room we had, just at that point in our trip that we were really feeling cramped.

This is why I always recommend that you visit Airstream rallies and attend the "open houses." It is very important to see Airstreams with people in them along with all their pets and stuff.

We just returned from a three-day, mini-rally with one other Airstream couple. Their 25' is "perfect" for them, but they no longer bring their dog because "it just makes things too crowded." Since our dogs are an essential part of our Airstreaming, our Airstream must accommodate them as well as us. Since our standard excursion is 10 days, our Airstream must be one in which two humans and two dogs can live in comfort for 10-14 days at a time.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote