Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #21
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
JWP, please go back and reread Atheness' posts, he states pretty clearly that he is being quoted 20% off list for a 2015 unit, not a 2014. As for waiting until next year to get an even better price on a 2015 at year end, well, that's certainly true, but if he waited until 2017 he'd get an even better deal on a used 2015, and if he waited until 2019, well, then he'd get a real good deal.
While I would like to believe that, it isn't what he wrote. He did say "new" but new does not mean 2015 vs 2014.

Maybe he can tell us what he meant
Old 11-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp View Post
While I would like to believe that, it isn't what he wrote. He did say "new" but new does not mean 2015 vs 2014.

Look at the headline on his first post and also the text of his second post in the thread. I did not find either the least bit ambiguous. He is definitely considering a 2015 and not a 2014.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:

JWP-

Is this unclear to you? It is the title of this thread followed by his various postings ... give us a break! What have you bought??

Quote:
Purchase new 2015 FC 25'..best price?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #24
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
JWP-

Is this unclear to you? It is the title of this thread followed by his various postings ... give us a break! What have you bought??
Why would I give you a break? You're being a jerk.

Oh, I see, you're saying that threads always stay exactly on track with the title and never change into some other idea or direction.

Not sure why you ask me what I've "bought". I have negotiated many new vehicle purchases in the $70k - $150k range so I found it surprising to hear of 18% discounts on the newest year model only a few months into production.

Anything you are saying is 100% speculation. The only definitely answer can come from the OP.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Why would I give you a break? You're being a jerk.

Oh, I see, you're saying that threads always stay exactly on track with the title and never change into some other idea or direction.

Not sure why you ask me what I've "bought". I have negotiated many new vehicle purchases in the $70k - $150k range so I found it surprising to hear of 18% discounts on the newest year model only a few months into production.

Anything you are saying is 100% speculation. The only definitely answer can come from the OP.
Not sure the issue here, JWP?? You obviously are an "expert" in all things....don't let any of us "non-experts" get to you! Let us know when you finally get an AS.
By the way, I got 22% 6 months into production earlier this year!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:50 AM   #26
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
..."all things" ? No, not at all, but I am a skeptic. I just prefer to hear info directly from the person on the deal, not what others think it might be or have found themselves. I have not questioned what you or others got for discounts, just specifically the starter of this thread.

I didn't realize you all were experts. Glad to hear it. Now I can take what you say as gospel without any question or variance.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #27
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
JWP, please go back and reread Atheness' posts, he states pretty clearly that he is being quoted 20% off list for a 2015 unit, not a 2014. As for waiting until next year to get an even better price on a 2015 at year end, well, that's certainly true, but if he waited until 2017 he'd get an even better deal on a used 2015, and if he waited until 2019, well, then he'd get a real good deal.
He did not quite say that, but I agree it was implied by way of the thread title. The confusion for me came from the fact that there are obviously still "new" 2014 models and the post about waiting until 2016 to get a 2015 could have implied wanting 2015 but not until a big discount were available.

To me a thread title does not implicitly connect to the rest of the content as it invariably changes in threads about such things.

While you all may believe it 100%, it was not 100% specifically stated.

On a separate issue, none of you actually "know" what the OP knows. It would have been nice to just hear from them regardless of the results.

It seems this time of year the deeper discounts make sense because next spring people will be thinking of the next "new" models.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Purchase new 2015 FC 25'..best price?

One point to remember is some dealers have added fees, ADM, DOC, and other euphemisms for adding to the price of an item. As I understand it, the final price should be the actual price of the unit (with the 20% discount), transportation from JC, taxes, and tag. The addition of any other fees is simply to increase dealer profit.
One method to counter the additional fee gimmick is to calculate the price based on the above and come to a final "out the door" price agreed upon by both parties prior to any paper work.

And one more thing, factory options not officially available may be negotiated when one orders a unit to be built, but this may affect the discount.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I did it!

So I bit the bullet and purchased the new 2015 25' Flying Cloud FB...Dealt with Airstream Adventures in Portland and so far they have been great to deal with...even keeping it for me until spring so I get the right tow vehicle. Thanks for all the input!
atheness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Did you get visitation rights ... awwww, the heartache of not having in the driveway! LOL
Old 12-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Both you and Mefly2 misunderstood the comment by Atheness as it meant they are getting almost 20% quoted on 2014's, not the practically new 2015's with ducted air.

Hence the additional question made about waiting until 2016's come out to then buy a discounted 2015, roughly a year from now.

But then maybe AS will finally start building with better core materials and not steel frames with plywood and particle board.... I'm joking of course, that will never happen
Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Gosh, all this buyin and percentagin makes me want to go and buy a new one!
Old 12-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
@atheness

Congratulations, I think the advantage of the ducted air is worth 15-20% in price, and in years to come will be a very significant point for used Airstreams. The 2015 models will hold value, the pre-2015 may drop more than in previous years.

Just my opinion, and i will have to admit the only reason I ordered a 2015 was there were no allotments on the production schedule for 2014 model year. When i ordered mine I had no idea of the ducted air. But the 5% price increase from 2014 to 2015 I was acutely aware of.

Oh, who posted a photo of my dinner?
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
@atheness

Congratulations, I think the advantage of the ducted air is worth 15-20% in price, and in years to come will be a very significant point for used Airstreams. The 2015 models will hold value, the pre-2015 may drop more than in previous years...
+1
We ordered ours last June specifically for the ducted air and really agree with all those advocates for the ducted ... otherwise it would be hard to justify trading a 2012 in on a 2015 Atheness, you will really like yours!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
+1
We ordered ours last June specifically for the ducted air and really agree with all those advocates for the ducted ... otherwise it would be hard to justify trading a 2012 in on a 2015 Atheness, you will really like yours!
Stop it!! You guys are killing me! LoL Don't you want to just "enjoy" and not drive prices up on negotiating?? Think of some of the folks who "don't own" yet....just saying! By the way, do you put salsa on that bird or Teriyaki!
Old 12-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
OK, now that I have thoroughly irritated some...... If, I had a 2014, I do believe there is some technique one can incorporate to add some ducting and insulation to make it much quieter and more attractive than it is as delivered.

There are sound deadening packages available from audio stores which are very thin, yet cut down noise considerably. Or, think aluminum sheets with auto undercoat sprayed on the interior, creating some type of ducting from the unit for the cool air, and covering the rest of the unit with a 1/4" closed cell foam. Also, adding a very thin layer of sound deadening into the actual ducting in the unit can decrease the noise considerably.

One might ask why this is not done at the factory....simple.....money.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 12-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
OK, now that I have thoroughly irritated some...... If, I had a 2014, I do believe there is some technique one can incorporate to add some ducting and insulation to make it much quieter and more attractive than it is as delivered.

There are sound deadening packages available from audio stores which are very thin, yet cut down noise considerably. Or, think aluminum sheets with auto undercoat sprayed on the interior, creating some type of ducting from the unit for the cool air, and covering the rest of the unit with a 1/4" closed cell foam. Also, adding a very thin layer of sound deadening into the actual ducting in the unit can decrease the noise considerably.

One might ask why this is not done at the factory....simple.....money.
I am not sure if there is a cleaver way to do that on the 14'; but I sure do like the 15' air...If I had only known when I bough our 14' that this was coming, I would have waited and got a 15'. At first, I thought no big deal in the sound efficiency difference of the 2 models. Now after spending more time in our AS and spending time in a new 25' with air running, I confess, their is a huge difference in not only the noise difference but also the efficiency. Only thing I would ask is for the vent openings to have controllable louvers so you could shut them down or direct them, like an airplane. I understand there is supposed to be aftermarket ducts that can do this; have not seen yet. Anyone know anything on this topic? We may upgrade to 15 or 16 this year...
Old 12-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I am not sure if there is a cleaver way to do that on the 14'; but I sure do like the 15' air...If I had only known when I bough our 14' that this was coming, I would have waited and got a 15'. At first, I thought no big deal in the sound efficiency difference of the 2 models. Now after spending more time in our AS and spending time in a new 25' with air running, I confess, their is a huge difference in not only the noise difference but also the efficiency. Only thing I would ask is for the vent openings to have controllable louvers so you could shut them down or direct them, like an airplane. I understand there is supposed to be aftermarket ducts that can do this; have not seen yet. Anyone know anything on this topic? We may upgrade to 15 or 16 this year...
Although I tried to give empirical information, ultimately the personal choice is subjective with regard to the ducted air.
Glad to hear that someone else endorses just what I have been saying since we experienced ours last July !!! Listen up you naysayers ...
Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Although I tried to give empirical information, ultimately the personal choice is subjective with regard to the ducted air.
Glad to hear that someone else endorses just what I have been saying since we experienced ours last July !!! Listen up you naysayers ...
Hi Mefly- what do you think about the vent openings; do they need louvers to control flow or direction or does that seem not an issue in your experience.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Hi Mefly- what do you think about the vent openings; do they need louvers to control flow or direction or does that seem not an issue in your experience.
Gypsydad-

Louvers for the vents have not been an issue for us at this point. We have had the EB out in below freezing up to 95+ degree weather and find that any possible need for louvers is more than offset by the evenness of temperature throughout the AS and reduced sound. There is still a noticeable increase in the volume of air moved closer to the AC unit compared to the ends of the AS. The ducting and number of vents (even including the mid area of head / shower) seems to be perfect on our 25'. We never got any real cooling (or heating) in the bathroom in previous iterations. Of course, the fan speed may be set either to automatic or several other manual settings to tailor the airflow to just what you desire - for both heating and cooling. Whereas the previous non-ducted jet engine would drown out normal level speech with its blowing on auto, the ducted air / heat -even on auto- is almost whisper quiet in comparison. YMMV

When we are out in elevated temps, it is nice to be able to go into the FB and relax on the bed to cool down; that was impossible in our previous non-ducted units...even utilizing an extra fan! There is also another "sweet spot" in the galley where there is a subtle increase in air flow / cooling that serves the same purpose. On those cold mornings / days when the heat is necessary, the ducted heat pump warms the whole interior much better than the older non ducted unit ...or the furnace - for that matter. In short, we have found no need for louvers and - to us at least - that concern is overblown. If you want more even temperatures throughout your AS with vastly reduced noise, then the ducted air is truly the answer! IMHO ...Some folks would still complain if the unit were gold plated; AS knocked it out of the park with this improvement.
My wife is a nurse with some respiratory concerns and this new system allows for easy filtration on the inlet side as another plus.