Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Clermont , Florida
Problem with Samsung

We bought a 2013 Flying Cloud in May of 2013. On a recent trip the Samsung 26 inch TV stopped working. The TV has a black screen and no sound. We called Samsung customer service and were given a bunch erroneous information the first 5 calls. We have called Samsung a total of 8 times, faxed and e-mail documents twice and got nothing but a run around. The 6, 7, and 8 calls resulted in their saying first that the TV is out of warranty. Next they said I must prove the RV was still in warranty by furnishing a bill of sale. The next call they said I must furnish a list of optional equipment included in the RV purchase to again prove the TV warranty is still valid. The next call they say the optional equipment sheet does not show that the TV is a Samsung. Now I must proved the TV is a Samsung. We sent them the bill of sale and the list of optional equipment twice because they lost the first submittal. The Samsung representative will not accept my taking the RV to dealer to verify the TV is a Sumsung.

Beware of Samsung products. The customer service people are taught to delay, postpone, give erroneous information, and whatever to try to defeat a warranty claim. I intent to call Airstream and the corporate offices of Samsung to voice my exasperation.

Does anyone have any better suggestions.
greew016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Yes, take your Airstream back to your dealership where you bought it and have them take care of your warranty issues . Our Samsung also went out and that is what we did to have the TV replaced.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We had nothing but trouble with Samsung TVs, not in the AS but at home. The power supply went on our last Samsung which was a well documented parts issue. They did everything possible to wiggle out of their responsibilities.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A few questions:

* Are you sure the TV is getting power (i.e., power indicator light ON, etc.)? Check wall outlet or other power source to make sure the TV is actually ON. If necessary, plug your TV into an extension cord connected to a known "hot" shore power source, thus bypassing all all circuit breakers, wiring, etc. in your Airstream. If your TV comes on, reset the breaker for the wall socket used for your TV.

Note: Circuit breaker switch must be FIRMLY pressed past OFF position to reset breaker, before FIRMLY pressing it in the ON position. If this is not done, the breaker may not be "armed".

* Can you access the TV setup screens, or is absolutely no display visible under all circumstances (i.e., can you see a raster/snow/gray screen)? If you can view the setup screens, a setting may be incorrectly selected, an unused video source may be designated for viewing, or the Airstream preamp switch for the antenna may be OFF. You might try playing a Blu Ray disk or DVD to see if that video source works.

* If your TV uses a "brick" power supply, is it working? Do you know someone with the same model Samsung TV where you could connect your TV to their power supply, or borrow the brick to see if your TV is actually OK?

Please post answers to the above questions, and others may be able to provide further troubleshooting suggestions.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Yes, take your Airstream back to your dealership where you bought it and have them take care of your warranty issues . Our Samsung also went out and that is what we did to have the TV replaced.
Yes take your airstream back to the dealership, airstream bought the tv from Samsung, you didn't.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I think I would just toss it and start over with a better brand of TV.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Clermont , Florida
Thanks for all your replies. The first thing we did was call the dealer where we purchased the RV. They have recently changed hands and we were told they didn't have access to the previous owner's records. I called them again today and was told their service dept wasn't running yet, however the salesman who handled our transaction is still there. We'll try to work through him. Thanks again.
greew016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have found that the only way to stand any chance of getting results on customer related issues today is to write the president of the company. If the company has any intent to provide customer service you will get a response directly from his office. If no response it is time to move on.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
I am surprised that everyone is having so much trouble with Samsung. I own 3 Samsung TVs. 2 are plasmas in the Bedroom and Living Room and the 3rd is an LCD in the Argosy. I have nothing but great things to say about their functionality and the picture quality. I tried many different brands prior to settling on Samsung and for me, I would not choose another brand. Good luck with your claim. I suggest going back to your dealer as others have mentioned.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Blaine‎ , Blaine‎ WA‎
Samsung customer service is really
lacking in Servise. They only responded after I slagged them on twitter and then drop me like a hot potato when they found out I was in Canada. There are no more Samsung products in our house.
Kerry Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I think Samsung is the worlds largest TV manufacturer.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #12
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Yes, they are the largest LCD TV manufacturer.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by greew016 View Post
Thanks for all your replies. The first thing we did was call the dealer where we purchased the RV. They have recently changed hands and we were told they didn't have access to the previous owner's records. I called them again today and was told their service dept wasn't running yet, however the salesman who handled our transaction is still there. We'll try to work through him. Thanks again.
I had the same problem with the ex-Bates dealership. I ended up calling Airstream, and they got me a new tv and had it installed in Alachua FL.
Freq Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Problem with Samsung

In some major metropolitan areas there is a supply facility that does repairs. I had problems with a microwave door on my Safari, The local dealership who is 35 miles from my home typically ships the microwaves to this facility for warranty repairs. They offered to call the facility for me which was only 7 miles from my home. I brought it there, no questions asked and they made the repair. It was interesting to find that after removing a cover plate, the microwave was a standard model just sitting in a compartment plugged into a wall outlet.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Have the dealer return the TV ... but it may take some time to get the replacement; so we went in to Best Buy and just bought a new one (without the preamp outputs).
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote