Old 09-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #29
Something Shiny
2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Yooperchick View Post
You are going through exactly what we wavered, and waffled, and debated over for at least 3 months this spring. We liked the seating in the 30, and the extra space. We liked the bathroom window, and more storage. Same as you we want to travel to national parks and were concerned with fitting in those sometimes tiny spaces at campgrounds. Towability and maneuverability was a factor, just like you. This is a very personal decision. We asked for help and got some great answers, but ultimately chose the Intl. Serenity 27FB. We are very happy with it! The 30' will be more comfortable probably because of the extra space, but everything is a trade-off, there is no perfect solution. When we picked up the 27FB and saw how big is was, and is, and how much room we have, our only regret is that it doesn't come with the rear and separate seating. In researching national parks, their total length limitation at a lot of them (TV plus trailer plus hitch) is 42 to 48 feet. Good luck, and whatever you choose will be beautiful! Oh, and one more thing, the 27' seems to have better resale value. I think 25' is the sweet spot for resale value but someone here will dispute that I'm sure. I do know that not everyone has a 3/4 ton pickup truck and a 1/2 ton will tow the 27' nicely.
... and here are YooperChick's SO's supplementary thoughts:

I was the one that waffled back and forth on length before eventually deciding to go with our original decision for an International Serenity 27FB in salsa. I will confess that I did like the 30 for all the very valid reasons cited by others, and even went so far as to call the dealer after having ordered our 2017 to see if I could change the order to a 30. I made that call on our drive out to Glacier Park this summer in a class A motorhome while our trailer was on order. We'd seen larger RVs of all sorts on the 1400 mile trip to Glacier.

When we got to the park I contacted the dealer to confirm that we wanted the 27FB. The fundamental reasons are these:
  • All dealers told us 28" was the maximum length to consider for National Parks and we've found this to be a sage advice.
  • We tow with a 1500 GMC Denali equipped with a ProPride hitch. The towing specs of the 27FB were better suited to the TV; our initial 8 hour towing experience bringing it home was excellent.
  • We came to realize that we were purchasing an Airstream to see and enjoy the National Parks, and the focus shifted from trailer interior specs, to ready accessability to the type of campgrounds we wanted to stay in.

BTW, we opted for the 2017 160 watt solar package and augmented this with the Zamp 160 watt portable unit, which plugs directly into a connector on the trailer for 320 watts total. The portable unit ought to be nice compliment when in shaded campsites.

All model and trailer lengths have pros and cons. Our first real outing starts this Friday, but I can confirm that my YooperChick is completely in love with her Salsa Serenity. ... and when she's happy, so am I!

Mark & Gina
2017 International Serenity
160W Solar roof mount + 160W Zamp portable
ProPride hitch, 1000#
2015 GMC Denali 1500
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #30
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I'm also biased in favour of the 30'er Flying Cloud.
I traded in a new 25' FC for the 30 because I didn't like the 'East-West' bed as too difficult to get in/out of; and I wanted more storage capacity.
This 30' is a hands down 'keeper'.

Comfortable, lots of room for two people, (no pets) and the 'North-South' bed is easy to use and comfortable.
I rejected the smaller 27-and 28 footers, as having smaller or no closets, smaller wardrobe, smaller toilet room. This 30'er has it all.
Easy to tow, not hard to back into a 'pad', my Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost handles it very well, even in a stiff headwind, at highway speeds.
My recommend? The 30 footer Flying Cloud.

MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
Marin , California
We're six weeks into our year long adventure with our new 25 FC. I have second guessed our decision as the extra room of a 30 would be welcomed but this is our first RV and a 30 footer was just too big of a bite. And don't be surprised if we move up to a 30 next year

My advice is to buy the biggest AS that you dare. GL, Dave
2006 Cayenne S with V8, air suspension, factory tow
2017 FC25 rear bed
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:39 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
We are still on the road, and will continue to be on the road for many years.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. Once we sell it we will have to put all our stuff in storage for a week or two while we shop for our next trailer (the van we want can't tow this one, so we are forced to downsize our trailer.)
I'm interested in the "Beddy" bedding. I looked at their website and it looks great. Do they make it to fit the short radius corner mattress found in the Airstream? We changed our mattress to a Sleep Comfort short radius queen from Camping World and we love it! So much more comfortable than what came with the trailer! Thanks!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #33
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wanted to do it once- purchase an RV once- so I got a 30' the first time.
You just lose too much money when you trade and the money you lose ain't comin' back.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member
1992 25' Excella
Orange County , New York
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Watching TV from the rear dinette 25/27 is not comfortable for the person sitting in the curb dinette seat. Putting down the table to make a large lounge doesn't work for us either as its still awkward seating.
My TV is on an arm that I can move pretty far over to the center. It's not uncomfortable at all really.
Williker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #35
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
Originally Posted by Riverdrifter View Post
I'm interested in the "Beddy" bedding. I looked at their website and it looks great. Do they make it to fit the short radius corner mattress found in the Airstream? We changed our mattress to a Sleep Comfort short radius queen from Camping World and we love it! So much more comfortable than what came with the trailer! Thanks!
They built their bedding for regular house-sized beds, but our rv size bed works just fine. My wife thought she'd need to use those little elastic clips you put under your fitted sheet, but so far so good. Take some good measurements and shoot them the dimensions of your bed and they'll let you know what size they recommend.
2010 Flying Cloud 30
Wanted: 2006-2009 25ss International (corner bed) - PM me if you'd be willing to sell
Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time:
explore more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
2016 26' Flying Cloud
2007 30' Classic
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
reno , Nevada
I agree...I went from a 30 to the new 26u. Love it...its much more comfortable that the 30 for relaxing. Shower is great. We took all of our stuff out of the 30 and it fit in the 26u. Unbelievable amount of storage...As mentioned we can get into state and national parks also.

jomondnv is offline   Reply With Quote