Old 07-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maggie, what do you mean by "heat shield"? There's the cover over the stove top, but not sure that's it.

Barb wants a paper towel holder, but every place near the stove seems at risk for fire, perhaps a remote risk, but the result if a fire does happen is nasty. The cabinets over the kitchen have a light underneath and no space for a towel holder. The end of the cabinet where the key holder is on our trailer already has a spice holder on it. Because our cabinet doors open outward, there is no space on the wall next to the stove. My solution is leave the roll on the counter and put it away when traveling. This does not seem to be Barb's solution. Maybe there's a place under the cabinet over the dinette, but I think it would be more ugly than a roll sitting on the kitchen counter.

Gene

Old 07-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Pictures? I agree this might be a good option! Where do you get the spring loaded tension bars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Now that's a great idea!

Maggie

Old 07-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Did the screws go all the way through the bottom of the cabinet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Attached the base through the three (3) mounting holes into the overhead cabinet. The holder is "hanging" down. The end piece has a clasp that pinches on and off by squeezing the buttons. As others have said, very clean design and have never had the roles unwind during travel.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
The SH is worth the price !!
Jus' do it ...

Trouble free for over two years ... and many, many bumps ...
...liked it so much we added one to our home kitchen !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towel Disp.Simple H_2014-08-17_11-26-43_198.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	266427   Click image for larger version

Name:	New P.Towel Disp_2014-08-28_17-40-44_624.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	266429  

Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clovis , New Mexico
I've posted about this suction paper towel holder before by Sharper Image (available on Amazon), but it's worth posting again. We had this when we had a 23D and now it's in the exact same place now in our 27FB (behind the faucet, at the edge of the countertop). This suctions on to the countertop and doesn't budge unless you unscrew the top to release the suction. We travel with it on and never had any issues. The spring loaded arm keeps the roll from unraveling. It's been going strong almost five years!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468205996.472069.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	266439  
Old 07-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clovis , New Mexico
If you're interested, I just looked it up on Amazon right now and it's listed under "Norpro Stainless Steel Paper Towel Holder with Suction Base."
Old 07-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Wishing, I just looked up that product on Amazon and read about 10 or 12 reviews. Most love it, some say it is poor quality, can't use with one hand, top falls off, suction lasts a few minutes. Lots of time I read reviews and the differences are stark whether it is a restaurant or a product.

Glad to hear yours works and has for a long time.

Sometimes it seems that more recent reviews indicate a product has been changed by cheapening it; less common is a product was terrible and is now ok or better. Sometimes ordering stuff results in reading scores of reviews, checking prices all over and generally going crazy over a $5 item. I opted for free Prime for a month to avoid a $35 shipping charge because we needed something fast and here in town a similar item costs three times as much. But now I see lots of things aren't eligible for Prime. The higher and two tier free shipping costs on Amazon lately and all the ins and outs of that also drive me crazy.

I think our decision is that we will put the paper towels on end on the back of the kitchen counter and store them in a cabinet when traveling. It has worked for 9 years, ain't too pretty, but why worry about that? Well I don't worry, Barb is adapting.

Gene
Old 07-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Maggie, what do you mean by "heat shield"? There's the cover over the stove top, but not sure that's it.

Gene
There is a steel plate mounted under the kitchen cabinet and directly over the 2 propane burners, and it runs the length of the burners. I call it a heat shield, as I believe that is what it is.

This is the towel holder mounted on it, hanging over the burners, but at least 18-20" clearance from the burners.

If one really, really tried, having the flame all the way up and nothing over it, one might be able to set the paper powers on fire, but one would have to really try.

I never remove the towels for cooking, there is plenty of room and they are out of the way/off the counter.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	266499  
Old 07-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Maggie. I kind of get what you say, but, of course, the Interstate and the trailers are very different. Over our cooktop is a fan hood. I worry about a fire more than you and maybe I am paranoid, but therapy costs a lot and I'm ok with it. I could mount it on the wall to the left of our stove and it would probably be ok, but I would worry anyway.

By the time I saw your second thread on your new life, it had so many posts I was afraid of it because I'd be driven to start at the beginning (maybe therapy would be a good idea), so I hope you are thriving and enjoying life.

Gene
Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Paper Towel Holder for 23D

Don't worry Gene, sanity is overrated...been on a short trip to crazy for years. So just trust me, around our household 'normal' is a setting on the clothes dryer...

Besides, just because you are paranoid does NOT mean they are not out to get you.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:15 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There aren't a lot of options for paper towels in the Interstate, and standing them on the tiny counter space is just out of the question.

I had a holder that hooked over the cabinet door in the galley area for years, but then one was forever bumping into the roll of paper towels.

Anything that uses vertical space gets high marks in my estimation.

This has worked very well, and if one saw it in place, you would realize there is no risk for fire.

Maggie
Old 07-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
We use this one, works great. Gets it off the counter, matches the aluminum, and can be mounted vertical or horizontal.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...el-holder.html
Old 07-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maggie, I'm glad you or your Interstate will not catch on fire. Actually I thought of hanging the paper towels over the bathroom door, similar to your former setup. It is almost always open when we are camped, but I'm sure both of us would run into it every time we went up and down the hallway. I'll have to look at the small cabinet door over our fridge and see if that would cause head bumping, but we already have something on it.

Is it an accident of history that paper towels come in a roll? Why not a box dispensing them? It might take less space, not unroll when traveling, and might be easier to mount somewhere. It probably would cost more. Maybe I should invent that after I take care of everything else I'm trying to get done.

Gene
Old 07-19-2016, 04:51 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
I found a spot to the left of the range hood that looks like it would fit this holder perfectly. Do the magnets scratch the surface?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This is what I have, and have loved it..

It holds very securely, and I buy pretty paper towels to put in it.