Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Clermont , Florida
Options on 2012 model

We're looking to purchase a 2012 - 25 ft. flying cloud. I intended to purchase a very basic model, but of course, everything you look at on the lots have options, so I'm trying to choose the one that will be most useful. I would like to hear about the 600W inverter System. The salesperson says it will run a tv/dvd or charge a computer. What about a solar charging system. How useful have these been. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
We are , Relaxed
600 watts is ok but it might be a little small if you want to use thing like a coffee maker or your wife wants to blow dry her hair for a special night out. We have 1800 watts and have found it to do what we need. Last summer we went for 2 mo's and did not plug in and had no problems. I do not believe we would have been able to do it with 600 watts.

2007 25' fb International Solar
2007 Dodge
Looking for Galt's Gulch
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Tacoma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by greew016 View Post
We're looking to purchase a 2012 - 25 ft. flying cloud. I intended to purchase a very basic model, but of course, everything you look at on the lots have options, so I'm trying to choose the one that will be most useful. I would like to hear about the 600W inverter System. The salesperson says it will run a tv/dvd or charge a computer. What about a solar charging system. How useful have these been. Thanks.
We have only had our 2012 25' Flying Cloud about a month and are very happy with it and purchased it as it was sitting on the lot. If I knew rhen what I know now at the very least I would have added front and rear awnings to the center windows, solar panel,bike rack that Airstream has recently introduced. Can not address the inverter or solar directly however in reading various threads dealing with solar they are good to have to keep your battery topped off on those long Boondocking adventures. Another addition may be a 2000 or 3000 Generator

Great Unit you and yours will enjoy it regardless
Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We bought ours with factory solar, inverter, full awnings, convection microwave, and ultra leather seats. It had just arrived at dealer but we did not think we wanted any of it. Wrong. After spending six months traveling in this trailer we wouldn't go without any of them. They complete the trailer in a most useful way, and are all nicely installed at the factory.

They seem expensive and are, but like the trailer, price is negotiable as factory options, probably not so if installed later. In the overall cost of the trailer, the price of options is relatively small.

doug k
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We also moved from a 20' Airstream to a 25' because we are spending much more time in it than originally thought (six months a year). Although we liked the 20', it's been a good decision in terms of comfort, and little difference when towing.

doug k
Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
To your direct question on the 600W inverter. I ordered on my Int'l and think it's worth the cost. Also had the microwave/convection oven -- which did a GREAT roast beef a few weeks ago....the extra BR TV, Ultra Leather, and the awnings. Based on what I read on these Forums, I decided to NOT add the solar package. General consensus seems to be that you pay a LOT of money for a very marginal system. Bought two Honda 2000's so I could use them for A/C -- or a single genset when all I need is to recharge. Happy with these choices. You're going to love your new trailer. Congrats!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you plan to boondock a lot, solar is one way to go and generators are another. If you plan to use major appliances, a 600 w. inverter won't be enough, and the more watts used, the quicker the batteries run down.

Maybe you can work out a trade with the dealer for better and bigger batteries? Adapting the battery box should not take too long to have series 27 batteries fit to it. AGM's should last longer and be less of a hassle. Series 27 has significantly more ampere hours than the OEM series 24 batteries.

I don't know what the factory solar is like. If it is an install by the dealer, watch out for cheap systems. Our dealer installed one that lasted 3 1/2 years and died, so we now have a bigger and better system. Ours is from AM Solar in Oregon and was highly recommended by Lewster, a frequent contributor to the Forum. He will install one for you if you wish.

We have used a 1,000 watt Honda generator to supplement when the solar was not enough—such as under trees, cloudy days, in narrow canyons without much sun, but since the solar was upgraded haven't had to use it. Not many people buy the 1,000 watt and it is getting hard to find, but it is still made.

If you are going to use appliances like a microwave, toaster or other watt hungry things, you will either have to get a lot of solar or big generators, or some blend. Maybe you should try out things and see how they work and then you'll have a better idea what you need. You can get a small inverter at Camping World for about $60 that will charge a computer. It just plugs into a 12 v. socket and is ready to go. It may also power some small TV's. Later you can price bigger inverters and probably find one for less than the dealer wants if you still need it.

Gene
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Clermont , Florida
Thank you so much for your input. There's no better source than people with experience and different points of view.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We're close by, in Gig Harbor. The only things we've done so far is to get rid of the ridiculous bedspread and put a foam topper on the bed. I can see I'm going to have to do something with the mini blinds at the head of the bed, especially the hold down bracket. Someone suggested the pleated night shades so I might look at them. Anybody know a good source for them?
Dan
Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I got my shades at a good price HERE.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We put Reflectix on all the bedroom windows—moderates temp change and blocks out a lot of the light. Good on skylight and fans (when not being used) too. Attach with Velcro. Can be bought at Lowe's, Home Depot or RV stores.

Gene
Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
West Linn , Oregon
We had Solar on our 19 and found it great when boondocking where generators were not allowed. We could use both "fantastic fans" to keep the inside cool all day long and never drop battery charge. That was with a 150 watt system from AM Solar which is relatively nearby. We have just traded up to a 27FB and will likely install solar on it too. We do have generators (2 Honda 2000s) for running A/C etc when we can and are without a hookup. Having Both gives you great flexibility, though it is expensive. AGM batteries are a great upgrade too.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
...put a foam topper on the bed. I can see I'm going to have to do something with the mini blinds at the head of the bed, especially the hold down bracket. Someone suggested the pleated night shades so I might look at them. Dan
...the same areas of concern for us as well - esp the mini blinds in the bath room.