Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just a plug for solar here.

If you must have air conditioning when boon docking, you will need a generator. If not the quiet, hassle-free, gasoline-free solar systems combined with the propane systems of the Airstream work well together. We are very happy with the factory system, the only negative responses I have seen are price (which is negotiable).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
We currently own a 2012 19 foot flying cloud a must have option is the inverter as others have mentioned you have all the 120volt and 12volt wiring already in the walls ,it's almost impossible to install after (all the interior panels would have to come off to do it right) the inverter powers small appliances less then 600 watts the new 2014 has a higher output inverter I think it's 1000 watts I think that's a improvement ,as you can run more stuff like my daughters hair blower,but remember the higher the wattage means your going to use more power from your batteries . The negative part of the inverter is it's draws a small amount of power from your batteries even if you don't use it and it's off , all airstreams are pre wired for solar ,the factory system is more money but looks more professional it has lower output panel 57watts this is enough to keep batteries charged when not using trailer,and can extend the power in the batteries when used the time depends on your power consumption. If you go with the factory solar panel and you need more power you can add a panel later or add a portable panel ,the factory system on the 19 foot is one panel in front of a.c on roof .a lot of aftermarket options for solar are more power and cheaper per watt of output. I'm currently going to put one solar panel on the roof and a portable panel so I can move the panel in the sun and park the trailer out of the hot sun. The awning option depends on where your camping and if you use the a.c or not ,it can be loud at night ! Good luck and get airstreaming!
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #23
bhooves

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
I've got solar, the big AGM golf cart batteries, the two Honda generators and feel that I am FREE to go anywhere, anytime--although I dislike temperatures below 76 degrees. The extras are worth it to me. I finally bought a 2013 FB Flying Cloud and took delivery Jun 28, 2013 and have been full timing since. I added the Solar at Starlight Solar in Yuma, AZ. They use larger size wiring (2 and 4 gauge) to reduce resistance. The factory installed wiring is 10 gauge meaning more resistance and less charge gets to the batteries. Cost effective? Probably not, but what is the freedom to camp anywhere worth? The feeling to do so is nice.
bhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #24
bhooves

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
I had the awning package by the dealer. The dealer erred in installing the street side awning and made it difficult to latch it closed for travel. The factory corrected the problem. Of note the dealer also caused a roof leak in our new Flying Cloud, which the factory also fixed. I was very impressed with the workmanship at the factory.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhooves View Post
I had the awning package by the dealer. The dealer erred in installing the street side awning and made it difficult to latch it closed for travel. The factory corrected the problem. Of note the dealer also caused a roof leak in our new Flying Cloud, which the factory also fixed. I was very impressed with the workmanship at the factory.
Being the thread is about factory-installed options, this is one of the concerns about after-factory installations. Even dealers can be very inconsistent in ability to do it right.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #26
bhooves

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
We have the Ultra Leather and like it very much. We have had it 8 months and it seems to clean easily. We avoided the fabric as it may cause static electricity in the cold months; plus, we like the feel of the leather on the skin when wearing shorts. To us, the Ultra Leather is worth it. Oh, it seems to be quite hardy and durable as you can plop big books like the new Good Sam directory and such down on that does no damage.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On my 2014 FC 20' I ordered the range/oven (standard equipment) not the optional microwave/convection oven which was more costly and needs hookups or a generator to use. I like a gas oven.

I went with the light colored Ultrasuade material, which I liked the looks of and the feel of.

I ordered light countertops. Dark was a no cost option but to me makes a trailer too dark with the already deep tinted glass used in all of them (no option for clear glass, damn).

I ordered the inverter (1000 watts) as it had a lot of pre wiring done which I didn't want to do myself. It is a fair inverter, but has a huge 1.75 A standby current use, even when powering nothing. I have plans to change that with a second smaller inverter with a search function to turn it on automatically when a load is applied.

I live where heat from the sun is not a special problem, so the extra awnings on the street side and back window were not necessary to me.

I added my own solar system, using the factory pre wire built into all of the FC series.

I went to 16" wheels and tires as soon as I got the rig. Factory cost was too high.

So, for what it is worth, that was what I did on my custom order.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
idroba, hoe do you know the factory 1,000 watt inverter has a 1.75 amp draw in standby. That is a lot. Thanks
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
idroba, hoe do you know the factory 1,000 watt inverter has a 1.75 amp draw in standby. That is a lot. Thanks
Yes, it is a lot. I have a Tri Metric battery monitor and I can read the current draw of anything in the rig, down to .01 amps. I have records of the information.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Why would you leave it on standby? I would leave it off and only turn it on when I wanted to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Why would you leave it on standby? I would leave it off and only turn it on when I wanted to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
It is easy to forget you turned it on and the little green light on the panel is hard to see. I have used mine to run the small microwave I have and hours later found that I didn't turn it off.

Also, if you are doing something which needs very little 120 volt power, like charging a cell phone, the standby current loss is there, even though you are doing very little with it. Even the low use of the Television requires the
high loss of the inverter.

As I have written in other posts, I finally got a smaller sine wave inverter (300watts) which not only has a 0.4 amp stand by loss when operating, but it has a search function. When the load is removed the unit shuts down automatically and only sends out a pulse about once a second to see if it needs to turn on again. That reduces the standby loss to only about 20 mA, on average, even if left on all the time.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
We opted for the ultra leather because it may be actually more durable than fabric, but we were not fond of the tan color, as it seems to show dirt and oil from skin after a while, and the black might get hot in the sun. Instead we ordered the mocha espresso and paid an upcharge.

Any pictures of the mocha colour interior? Golden/cashew is too light for us and black seems like it might feel a little cold/stark.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Espresso leather

How much did Airstream charge to install the espresso leather in your FC 28'?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Purchase price

Has anyone bought from Sutton Rv or Airstream NW in Oregon? How much off MSRP. We are about to negotiate a deal. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Options for a new Flying Cloud?

Fwiw, on our 2015 order I was told by Airstream (via my dealer) that anything but cashew or black was not available. My wife would rather have black while I liked the look of cashew...so you can imagine what colour we decided to go with

If black doesn't work out we will do some custom work in a few years.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #36

@Mefly2, how do you like the ducted air? Is it quieter?
MizEnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Longview , Texas
I'm also interested in how much quieter the ducted air is.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Aggie90 is offline   Reply With Quote