Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Opinion needed: 27FC or 28

We are planning on Long-timing (4 week+) trips, kids are grown but not quite out of the house. Brought the kids to 49 states mostly in out 16ft Scamp, but now it's time for mom and dad to upgrade and travel alone (mostly). Anyone who has considered these two please chime in to why you chose one over the other. I like the like with 28 with two "sitting" areas she likes the 27FB. (Tow vehicle is not a consideration, we currently have a 2014 Ford Expedition EL, but planing to travel with a 3/4 ton D)
jgutteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats 😃

Have you spent time in both? We looked at several models and for us, the 27FB clicked. Because we don't have kids (well, our Bloodhound might count as a kid) it's really a trailer for 2, so 2 seating areas wasn't high on our list of priorities.

We also liked the idea that for some campsites, backing in and having the view from the dining table can be a HUGE benefit for us.

Last, we had some custom work done on ours to remove half of the uncomfortable seating around the dinette and install a recliner. That and cutting down the table (since we're not having anyone use that as a bed) provided a very comfy seating area so when the campfire's out - a game of cards or binge watching MadMen is a fun experience 😃

Tour several models. The new 26u tugs at me a bit (if they did a front bedroom version). You'll find the right one for your family! At the end of the day - you can't go wrong 😃
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Opinions Needed 27FB or 28 Flying Cloud

Hi,
We didn't consider the 27FB but jumped from a 25' Flying Cloud to a 28' Flying Cloud. We don't sit around and watch TV that much but the 25' and the 27' just really have no good seating for reading, or watching TV. Sitting at the dinette really gets old even with the longer lounge on one side. This was our primary reason for moving up to the 28'. You do lose the pantry in the 28', but other storage areas make-up for this somewhat.
The 27' and the 28' are both 28' as far as exterior length.

We spent 5 weeks this summer touring the southwest traveling almost 6,000 miles and we were so happy to have a sofa to sit on.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I love the floor plan of or 28. Often times I'm working at the dinette and my wife and is lounging on the sofa. When boondocking or staying on a larger site we try to put the trailer so the large side widows and patio have the best view. I feel it is a big plus having both on the same side unlike the 27 or 30 models. The easier to access storage compartment and the wardrobes on each side of the bed are pluses. The downside to the 28 is that it has less storage in the kitchen over the 27, can't have both gas oven and micro, and one large widow can't be opened because of the entrance door. If I was to buy a new one tomorrow it would be another 28 or a full on custom 30 with an expanded 28 floor plan.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would get the Eddie Bauer 27, take out the bench seats and put in swivel reclining chairs with a narrower-than-stock table between them. Sit in total comfort, sleep in an easy to access bed, cook in an adequate galley, swivel the chairs for dining at the table between you, and swivel some more for coffee while viewing whatever's out the back window or open hatch. Recline some more for reading and a nap.

For a comfortable traveler it doesn't get much better, and you ought to give the 2014 Expedition EL a chance to tow it; that's a nice riding and stable (full independent suspension) tow vehicle compared to a truck.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
We just bought a 27FB. We are not much on recliners as some have mentioned, rarely watch TV. We like the table at the rear as a good place to read or mess with the computer. We also like being able to look out the windows while sitting at the dinette. The 27 has the wardrobe closets on each side of the bed as an option.
Americal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Topanga , California
Totally agree with Silverbee. 28' Flying Cloud.
Nanette L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Go ahead and get a 30'-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Little Rock , Arkansas
We just purchased a 28 International Signature. I love having another place to hang out, so the separate dining was sweet for me. We can eat at dining table then move to "living room" for movie, then move back to kitchen dinette for card games. This is especially nice when our son comes over. If he gets done playing games he can go back to the couch. The two separate areas make the AS feel so useful. We don't miss the extra pantry and have plenty of room for what we need. Hope this gives you an idea of what a 28 can feel like.
meandmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
I prefer the 27, as the dining area is easily converted to a relaxing sofa, which can have a deep seat, depending on your pillow/back rest combination. I sat in the 28 sofa and it wasn't very comfortable. I also like the kitchen layout/storage/microwave/large wardrobe in the 27. Having said all that, I too am intrigued by the 26U's design, especially if they make it with twins, but I haven't seen it in person yet.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Truth be told we will all pretty much tell you we like the floorplan for the coach that we own!

We have a Flying Cloud 27fb twins and truly do like it. We travel/camp my wife and I, and often have our 5yo grandson and soon his fixin to be 2yo sister with us for close to home trips. The floorplan just works for us. We find the long couch very comfortable, and my wife prefers laying down to read or watch TV, so it works fine for that. It makes up easily to a GK bed, and when we need all the extra sleeping space for adult company like the GK parental units the dinette provides it when broken down. (somehow they don't visit us much when we have the GKs )

I use the short dinette side with a small footstool when needed if lounging and it works. We actually this past year have started using the bedroom more for evening tv watchin and such, as the twins lend themselves nicely to that. In fact, the twin layout really sold us on the 27fb over the 25fb. We definately wanted the fb, and the twins are so much roomier for sleeping, dressing area, playground room for GKs, etc. Would work better for pet(s) too I think than the queen.

To each his own of course! That's why Airstream makes a lot of floorplans! Now about that tow vehicle............. kidding............I'm kidding..............
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Having a 25fb with the rear dinette/side couch, which I'm not too keen on that living arrangement, the 27fb would be off my list if moving to a larger unit. The 28 has a larger bathroom than the 27fb. I'd prefer the 28 FC because it has cabinets over the dinette which the Internationals don't. I'd get the twin beds too. The downside to the 28 is no slide out pantry, just a hall closet, the shower has a stool that full width of the shower so less space to stand in vs the 27fb.

Kelvin
Old 10-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Talking View or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americal View Post
We just bought a 27FB. We are not much on recliners as some have mentioned, rarely watch TV. We like the table at the rear as a good place to read or mess with the computer. We also like being able to look out the windows while sitting at the dinette. The 27 has the wardrobe closets on each side of the bed as an option.
I can't imagine having an AS without seating so I can see the view. Recliners which face in, a bench seat, couch or other that face in is great for conversation with the cook, but not for seeing outside. I'm for the dinette as a place to work on my laptop, read or eat. Now I do that at my desk 99% of the time at home.

Jer
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
gwg
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
We have had a 25' - 27 FB & now a 2015 Classic. I like the "two" seating areas in the 28'. I will tell you that our 27FB had major problems with the galley cabinets & drawers opening each time we traveled. Maybe it is my driving
gwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Cabinets and drawers opening during travel is probably from to rough road, to rough a ride from the truck suspension and/or hitch connection, or too stiff tires. Or all of them. Maybe it IS the driver.

Not the style of Airstream, we've got a basic Flying Cloud with plastic hinges and latches and never had the problem.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #16
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Our One Minor Gripe About the 27FB Classic

As somebody noted before, most like what they have and will tell you why. So let's start with what could be better on the 27FB for just the two of us.

There is only one thing that could be better for us about the 27FB layout and that is comfort while watching TV in the back dinette/couch/kitchen area. One of us can be very comfortable laying down on the long couch directly in front of the TV; the other, sitting on the short couch which doubles as the dinette seating can't lay down because that side of the couch is too short. Alternatively, the other can choose to sit at the table and eventually get a crook in their neck looking sideways towards the TV for an extended period of time.

We've decided to stick with the status quo as maybe that will encourage us to watch less TV. If we want to watch a long movie in comfort, we can always move to the front bedroom. Also, the current arrangement in back gives us plenty of sleeping arrangement versatility when multiple grand-kids are visiting at the same time.

Hope this provided a helpful insight or two.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Ultimate Airstream option

We love the 25' FB Twin, but think the 27' would offer more space for sure. We love the 28' couch option, but do not want to loose the storage space, nor do we like opening a door to pull out utensil drawers, nor lack of microwave and oven. We think the solution, though costly is the Ultimate Airstream upgrade...but it is costly! Would like to get this set up at a reasonable price. To us, this is a very impressive use of lounge/eating space, adding more work surface, storage options, yet preserving additional sleeping if needed. You can also get a desk if you don't need that much storage...see pictures below. I like the 26U also, but no twins....I think this is more functional.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 25' Ultimate Airstream Lounge Kitchen Option.pdf (242.5 KB, 85 views)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We had a 25FC rear twin and used for a year and upgraded to a 28FC rear twin. All kinds of pro's and con's can be thrown around about a front or a rear bedroom. Ours works perfectly for us as it seems 50% of the time where ever we go, one end of the trailer is the preferred end for viewing or sleeping while boon docking. I kind of like the bedroom at the back if you are backed up to a stream from an airflow standpoint sleeping, but thats me.

What got us to change is in fact the sofa and the dinette. It was more practical to us to use, especially in some rain storms where the other couple we were traveling with could come in and we are all comfortable. Plus when it's just us two and a dog or two, it works. You have tons of storage under the front sofa and under both beds and on the outside (3) with the twins. The lack of pantry is a negative but as previously noted, there is plenty of useable space if you think through the arranging of things.

Good luck on your decision, as I am sure you will be happy with either. Hope to see you on the road down the line.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #19

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1444183195.039289.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	249969
This is how I modified our 27FB. Moved the heater forward, built bar an drawers, loves eat recliners that will be changed to swivel rockers in the future

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
We faced that same decision back in 2012, once we decided to go a little larger than a 25. And after I asked my wife to think about the seating arangements of a 27 FB vs the 28 rear bdrm (2 separate seating areas being the huge draw) we jumped with the 28 FC and 30K+ miles later we've never regretted the choice. Plus we love the door being in the front. People told us we would miss the "view" when we back into campsites. It seems amazing to me how few times that has occurred and we travel/camp for months at a time. Love the wrap around widows behind our sofa as well..,
Alwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote