Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Holland , Michigan
Novice looking for A/S advice

I'm a total novice when it comes to A/S. I have a co-worker that has a Bambi and has upgraded the interior.

My wife and I presently own a 2008 33' Cypress (Newmar) Fifth Wheel. It's very nice. But I would like to downsize and simplify. We camp only a couple times a year and I'm thinking something in the 26', 27' range would be just fine. I'd like to start with something used . . . 2007 / 8 or newer (I think) . . . . and would like some recommendations on where to start looking.

It's primarily for my wife and I. Kids are out of the house. We're 48/50 years old. So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Tslik80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
First, welcome to the forum.

If I were looking for a used Airstream I would start with the classifieds here, craigslist (there are nationwide search engines), and EBAY.

They are not hard to find, but more than likely you will have to do some driving to go and get it.

Also, there are people on the forum who will do inspections for you for little to no cost.

Good luck with your search.

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Probably a 25FB or 27FB would fill thew bill nicely. We have a 2005 25FB, named Lucy, that we have had since 2006. Lucy has been quite heavily used (1,020 nights/90,000 miles). We are also just two adults. We have spent as long as 10 weeks straight in Lucy, and have still found her livable.

Good Luck in your search.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
Hi to Michigan. We'll be bringing the Silver Otter to Plainwell/Kalamazoo area on June 9th. Maybe we can get together! Don't forget RVTrader as a source for good used Airstreams. That's where we found ours about this time last year.
Greg and Linda Heuer
'99 Excella 30 w/HAHA - The Silver Otter
'08 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
We are fairly new to RVing and as our first unit we chose a 2008 20' Safari. Its just the two of us--no kids and no pets. We are very active and so do not spend a lot of time during the day just sitting in the TT. Our trips have been from two nights to almost a month and the unit fits our needs just fine.
Going from a large 5th wheel with slides to an shorter AS without slides may feel confining. Spend a lot of time in different size models before making your decision.
A good internet source for RV listings is
I don't know how far you want to travel, but earlier today I read about someone from Michigan that purchased an AS from Out of Doors Mart in Colfax NC, which is where we purchased ours. Also, we shopped via internet and e-mail with Colonial Airstream in Lakewood NJ. Patrick was always willing to answer any questions and had the best prices on new units.
Good luck with your quest!

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We are in our mid 50's and purchased a "lightly used" 27FB Safari SE last year which so far has been the perfect size and layout. Buying used saves a considerable amount but be prepared to spend some money fixing a few things. We unfortunately had to repair floor rot despite paying an Airstream dealer to fully inspect the vehicle before completing the purchase from an individual. We had the very expensive repairs done by the factory in Jackson Center and are pleased with the work. We are still happy we bought the used unit.

Features we enjoy are the rear panoramic window at the dinette, the walk around queen bed, the closets next to the bed in the bedroom (we don't have a front pano window). There is plenty of inside storage. The rear door is occasionally an issue at some campground sites, particularly short sites with a downhill slope at the rear. I wish we had solar for boon docking and will probably add it or buy a generator later this year. The unit is large enough to not feel claustrophobic, but small enough to tow easily and fit most campsites. The 27 allows us to have both a gas range and a microwave. The front exterior storage compartment is cumbersome to use given the location of the propane tanks.

Like everything there are pluses and minuses. The negatives are minor and far outweighed by the positives. One of the greatest things about owning an Airstream of any size is the great people you will meet. The Airstream community is unbelievable.
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
Charlottesville , Virginia
We are also AS newbies, love this community! We in the market for our first AS that will be parked seasonally at the beach and can accommodate 5 kids and 2 adults.
Looking for 34' w/S/O. Looking nationwide. Any advice about buying a trailer across the country and having it delivered? Thanks!
JBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
We bought our 2nd Airstream off AirstreamClassifieds... a good place to start and get an idea of the price range for various aged models. eBay... not a big fan for this type of purchase... there are too many variables and buying without inspecting is asking for trouble.

25' is a great size for all-around use. We went with a 22', because the price was right, and for now we've only got 1 child to deal with. I can imagine in 5 or so years we might want something with a separate bedroom and a 'real' 2nd bed... like a 25FB design.

As far as delivery... I've used uShip for a couple of Airstream deliveries. Basically, it's eBay in reverse... you post what you want delivered, and people bid. You can accept the low bid, or any bid. Typically, you'll see bids in the range of $1 a mile, but if someone is coming back empty and it works out, you might get it delivered very cheaply.

I had my 22' delivered from San Francisco to Northern BC... worked out great. Had the seller take it to an Airstream dealer for an independent inspection, they fixed a couple of things, wired them the money and my hauler picked it up at the dealer... sort of an escrow service I guess.

34' is the biggest... but if it's not getting moved around too much it doesn't really matter. Slideouts aren't common in the Airstreams... but they sure make the space a lot bigger if you can find one.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
Thanks so much, great info...
My husband is scratching his head wondering why I can't find an airstream on our side of the country so this is very helpful!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member
Thanks for all the help-We found and are purchasing a 2004 34' Classic Limited w/s/o.
Now to get it here from the west coast!
Shipping, to any and all suggestions.
We have bids in for uShip shipping (thanks to Friday's suggestions and we'll keep you posted as to how this works...
Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
We have the same unit in a 28' model, you'll love the slide out feature for its added space as long as you ALWAYS remember to only extend it when the unit is level and have the stanchions/stabilizers down. Be sure to lube the screws and gaskets at least annually with silicon spray.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
We made the transfer from a larger 5th wheel to a 72 Overlander at 27 foot.. You will find a little adjustment but nothing tragic..

Just let me add,, you will never ever go back to pulling a square box down the road after pulling a Airstream.. They cut past the wind like its not even there. Rounded edges and corners make more differance than I felt it would..

Hope you get your new baby home in good shape.. and happy travels.

2012 Ram 1500 Tradesman Hemi, 4x4, 6 speed

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member
thanks all!... can't wait to get it here from Cali..