Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
Not so Fantastic Fans - Maiden Voyage of our 2014 Flying Cloud 28'

Hello Forum,

We took picked up our Flying Cloud at the end of April. The walk through went great and everything appeared in working order. We parked it in our drive for a week and played with everything and set it up for our maiden trip. After we got it home we noticed the bedroom Fantastic Fan would rattle when you turned it on at the number 1 or 2 speed. If you put it to 3 and let it get up to speed the rattle would stop and you could back it down to 2 and it would be fine too. Position or fan speed 1 always rattled. Not a big deal I figured when I needed to have something bigger addresses under warranty I would have it looked at. Off to the Smokey Mountains for camping hiking and relaxing. Everything was great the first two days. R/V pulled great up the mountain no worries. The first two days were colder at night and it was so nice to have hot showers and heat after a full day of hiking. The second two days it got pretty hot for early May high 80s so we planned to leave the Fantastic Fans running while we were off hiking. I guess this was a mistake. When we got back the front fan wasn't working. The R/V was pretty hot. Not a problem we turned on the AC. I figured it was a fuse but I was wrong. I swapped both the fuse on the fan and the fuse in the converter for it with the bedrooms FF. No joy bedroom fan still rattled and the front fan would open and close by itself. Just no spinning of the fan. I am sure it is all covered under warranty but it is about $200 in fuel to the dealer and back. Kind of aggravating for a two week old floor model. Any thoughts??? Oh and by the way it was still the best camping trip of my life. The last day we just let the AC run while we were out hiking. 4 days 21 miles hiked, 4 named water falls, tons of lesser falls, tons of wild life to include four Black Bears (got to love the. Smokey mountains) and we always came back to a comfortable home, hot shower, meal and comfortable bed. No more tent camp for this ole boy and his wife. Oh yeah one of our best anniversaries. Any ideas on the FFs would be appreciated.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Michael, good to hear your maiden voyage was a sucess, with the exception of the FF's. They are guarenteed for life and are backed up with a great service dept. Give them a call, they may very well be able to diagnose and offer a solution over the phone. I find them to be an excellant product but sometimes confusing to operate. Probably just me.

You have discovered one of the best facets of trailering: a full day of activities out and about, then a comfortable, secure place to come home to. It just doesn't get any better.

Glad to have you out here with us.

John

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I agree with John. Give them a call. Fantastic fans are a great product and have a great guarantee. It may be something easily fixed.
Glad you enjoyed the rest of the adventure!
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Just so y'all know, since Atwood acquired Fantastic Vent, the warranty is ONE YEAR, unless they have changed it again in the last couple of months.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Just so y'all know, since Atwood acquired Fantastic Vent, the warranty is ONE YEAR, unless they have changed it again in the last couple of months.
Oh well, another good thing bites the dust. Hope the quality of their product didn't go out the window with the guarantee.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
if it open and closes, did you try adjusting the temp thermostat on the fan?
My experience with FF has always been outstanding.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
Warranty may be one year, however they just sent me replacement parts for our relatively new to us 2011 FC at no charge. Not even shipping!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
Thanks for the responses folks, I do plan to call the dealer tomorrow. I was hoping to avoid the expense of trail erring the unit back to them. I have tried moving the fan thermostat from one extreme to the other with no movement of the fan blade. I assume we are talking about the dial on the fan that has blue looking pattern in one direction and red in the other. The fan was working wonderfully before we left to hike when we returned late that afternoon it was dead (fan) but wood open and close if I flipped the switch.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Maybe call FF (800-521-0298). They are awsome and may be able to help over the phone.

Then you could wait for a longer list for the dealer drive. Wishing after this situation you have no list!
Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I have two Fantastic Fans rain, reverse, etc. that are just over a year old. My one fan in the bedroom got messed up on our trip last summer- would not run. I THOUGHT it was broken but it was somehow messed up with thinking the lid was closed when it was open. I worked with it and got it back to working just by pulling and rotating the lid control and switching it on and off. It is like it needed reset. Check the rattle for a loose part- screen, etc or if it is actually the blade out of balance.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
As most of you know, Fantastic has available interior garnishes for Airstreams, which is curved to match the ceiling. They are free, and I would order a dozen or so at a time, and drop a curved garnish in the box when we sold and shipped one out. A month or so ago, I called for my quarterly dose of garnishes, and now, while they are still free, Atwood charges significant shipping for them. So now we have to charge our customers for this free part, in order to pay for the shipping we had to pay to get it to give away a free part.
Very recently, there have been changes to the mechanisms, as well. Only time will tell if the changes are good ones or not.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
on the inside edge of the area where the lid closes there is a pin switch that turns off the fan. if it sticks it might be what kept the fan from turning. pull the fuse out before you play with it! you have to remove the screen to get to it from inside.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
On our 2011 I could pull down on the gear handle which would disengage the lift motor allowing me to manual open the vent without running the fan. I really liked this feature, and I would leave my vents cracked a few inches in the summer under our carport. On our 2014, which was made in April of this year, this feature is not on the two FF's. I was a little disappointed. I wonder if this design change is due to Atwood, or did this change happen prior to the sale of the company?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #14
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Not what they used to be

I just bought two new FFs for my classic kin. I've put FFs into all of my coaches and have always been happy, so for me it was a slam-dunk decision to replace the old fans with FFs.

However... While one of the FFs perform as expected, the other whines incessantly. A one year warranty? I bought FFs because of their lifetime coverage.

They are not what they used to be. Could this be another good product that becomes not so good after being bought by a big corporation?

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote