Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #21
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Different parts than before? That's interesting.

One of the things I love most about Fantastic Fans is that they are virtually silent when running at moderate to low speeds. One of my two FFs whines at any speed. When I called FF they said bad motor and have sent one out (not here yet).

I sure hope Atwood isn't doing what some large corporations seem to do after they acquire a small company (change everything that made them a great a acquisition target). They always seem to fail to understand that the small firm became a great acquisition target based on quality and service, then they change (cheapen) parts, reduce service, fire everybody who has a long history (those who know the product intimately) and replace them with low paid workers who know nothing. Please I hope that is not happening to FF.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
So true, they are not what they used to be.

Atwood bought out Fantastic Vent, the maker of the Fantastic Fan, about two years ago and moved the operation to Elkhart, Indiana to be "closer to the heart of the RV industry." Very few of the old company made the move. Stephen Milks, grandson of the inventor of the Fantastic Fan, Steve Milks, did move and is still with the company today. However, many of the parts that used to be made in the USA and Canada are now manufactured in an "offshore manufacturing facility." And recently, Atwood was sold and along with it, Fantastic Vent. Rest assured, the Fantastic Fan is no longer what it used to be.
oldfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
BTW, the interior 'curved' section between the fan's body and AS roof is called a garnish and is only used on the older trailers with a curved ceiling, that is, up through 1994 models when the roof became flatter. From 1994 on, the curved garnish was not needed.
oldfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRV View Post
Just to be absolutely clear. The Fan-Tastic warranty period is 2 years on most of it. 5 years on the lid.
Hi, this has always been my understanding of their warranty, but they always sent whatever I needed at no cost to me and some of it was way past five years.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
Different parts than before? That's interesting.

One of the things I love most about Fantastic Fans is that they are virtually silent when running at moderate to low speeds. One of my two FFs whines at any speed. When I called FF they said bad motor and have sent one out (not here yet).

I sure hope Atwood isn't doing what some large corporations seem to do after they acquire a small company (change everything that made them a great a acquisition target). They always seem to fail to understand that the small firm became a great acquisition target based on quality and service, then they change (cheapen) parts, reduce service, fire everybody who has a long history (those who know the product intimately) and replace them with low paid workers who know nothing. Please I hope that is not happening to FF.
Hi, I also had a noisy motor. I was told to reverse it at times and it should get quieter. I told them that mine didn't reverse, so they sent me a reverse kit. Free. The motor still made too much noise so they sent me a new motor. The old motor was round, tall and black. The new motor was short, flat, brushless, and white.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
Update - received my replace lower control assembly from Fantastic Fan. Only took 20 minutes to change out. I was able to do it all from inside the Airstream except the rain sensor had to get a ladder to reach it to take it loose and install the replacement water sensor. Everything works perfect. Only one problem, When I was on the ladder taking care of the rain sensor I notice another problem and maybe it is a bigger deal than the fan not working. One of the screws that attaches the fan to the exterior of the Airstream was not screwed down flush. It had some of the white sealant on the head of it but it was sticking up about the entire length of the screw. I thought all I needed to do was screw it down and reveal the head of the screw. It would not screw in. I didn't want to force it, so now I am wondering what I can do? Do these exterior screws just screw into the sheet metal or is there something specific it screw into and it just isn't lined up? How big of an issue is this? Is this something that I should take it back to the dealer? Any advise would be great. Out of Doors Mart doesn't have there service people in on weekends so I will have to wait until Monday to call if that is the best thing.
mdshope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshope View Post
Update - received my replace lower control assembly from Fantastic Fan. Only took 20 minutes to change out. I was able to do it all from inside the Airstream except the rain sensor had to get a ladder to reach it to take it loose and install the replacement water sensor. Everything works perfect. Only one problem, When I was on the ladder taking care of the rain sensor I notice another problem and maybe it is a bigger deal than the fan not working. One of the screws that attaches the fan to the exterior of the Airstream was not screwed down flush. It had some of the white sealant on the head of it but it was sticking up about the entire length of the screw. I thought all I needed to do was screw it down and reveal the head of the screw. It would not screw in. I didn't want to force it, so now I am wondering what I can do? Do these exterior screws just screw into the sheet metal or is there something specific it screw into and it just isn't lined up? How big of an issue is this? Is this something that I should take it back to the dealer? Any advise would be great. Out of Doors Mart doesn't have there service people in on weekends so I will have to wait until Monday to call if that is the best thing.
How about a photo?
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, remove the screw, clean it and re-install it as long as it isn't 3"s long. Should be maybe 1" long and it only goes into the roof skin, so don't super torque it. Add sealer and you should be fine. [you might want to add sealer to the screw before you re-install it]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #29
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Update

After reading RobertSunrus's post I took a look at my two fans. Sure enough the front (quiet) fan motor is tall and black, and the rear (noisy) fan motor is short and white.

This is quite a disappointment. It would appear that FF has begun using cheaper, lower quality parts. (Didn't lower the price though.)

I have loved FFs for many years for their reliability, excellent operation, excellent service and especially for how quiet they are (were).

When the replacement fan gets here (its been over a week now so I'm wondering), I'll post if its the black or white motor and if it is white, is it as quiet as the black one or are all the new ones white and noisy. That would be a real disappointment.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
After reading RobertSunrus's post I took a look at my two fans. Sure enough the front (quiet) fan motor is tall and black, and the rear (noisy) fan motor is short and white.

This is quite a disappointment. It would appear that FF has begun using cheaper, lower quality parts. (Didn't lower the price though.)

I have loved FFs for many years for their reliability, excellent operation, excellent service and especially for how quiet they are (were).

When the replacement fan gets here (its been over a week now so I'm wondering), I'll post if its the black or white motor and if it is white, is it as quiet as the black one or are all the new ones white and noisy. That would be a real disappointment.
Hi, on mine, the black motor was the noisy one. My white motor is quiet.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
I wanted to give a final update. Fantastic vent company was great to deal with. They sent the replacement right out it installed easy and is working great. I called the service department about the screw on the exterior of the fantastic fan and they too said to use the correct caulk and screw it down I used Trempro 635 and screwed it down and then sealed the top. Hopefully this will be it for a while. I really appreciate all the advice.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #32
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Motors... There have always been 2 motors depending on which version you buy. The flat lid fans like we sell require a pancake motor and the domed fans that most places sell typically have the barrel shaped motor (because there is room vertically for it).

We have had a very small number of motor problems through the years...far less than 1%.
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #33
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
insallation gasket and sealant...

mdshope, you mentioned that you used Trempro under the base. That makes me a bit nervous. The directions that come with the fans describe the correct mounting process, which is like this:

1. Clean well.
2. Insert foam gasket that comes with fan.
3. Set fan down and screw it in.
4. Put a perimeter finish bead of silicone caulk down.
5. Put a dab of caulk on top of each screw head.

Referring to 4 above, silicone is specified. Silicone sticks well to the plastic and to the bare aluminum roof. Trempro sticks well to the bare aluminum roof but Fan-Tastic does not guarantee it sticks to their plastic bases. On my own Airstream, I had an adhesion failure when I used Trempro as the gasket and finish bead rather than using the foam gasket that came with it.

We love Trempro for 90% of Airstream work, but adhesion of plastic is one where we issue a caution. I'm sure it sticks very well to some plastics but not so well to others. The problem is getting Tremco to tell us which ones and we haven't been able to do that.

Silicone has very limited uses on an Airstream. Following Fan-Tastic's installation instructions is one place I recommend it. If I ever have a warranty issue, I want to be able to say I installed exactly as instructed by manufacturer. While you may have good results with other sealants, we advise all our FanTastic customers who ask us to simply follow the instructions to the letter.
WBCCI #1573
Old 05-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
Not so Fantastic Fans - Maiden Voyage of our 2014 Flying Cloud 28'

Ok, maybe I have messed up here let me better explain what was done. The replacement fan part was the control board which was replaced from inside the Airstream so nothing to seal back. The only thing I sealed with the Tremco was one screw on the exterior cover that had never been screwed down. This wasn't an total instal of a new fantastic fan. I noticed the raised screw when I was washing the roof of the Airstream it was in the corner of the Fantastic Fan it had never been screwed down. The Airstream is a 2014 that we purchased In April. I called the service department to see if I needed to pull the Airstream back to them to have it fixed under warranty or could I just screw the screw down and seal the screw head like all the others. They said I would be fine to just screw it in and seal the top with a none silicone based caulk. Let me know your thoughts. If need be I can always re seal the head of the screw with a silicone base caulk.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Fantastic problem

I'm pretty well disappointed in the Fantastic fans. I wouldn't use them again. I installed 3 in 2010. I installed them using the supplied gasket and sealed them with premium silicone as directed. The rear fan base cracked at the mounting screw location the second winter. By 2012 two were leaking at the cracked bases. I removed the silicone and sealed the bases with Vulkem. 2013 none leaked. This spring all three were leaking.

I investigated and the Vulkem was tight but the bases were all cracked from the flange to the top. Two had 4 cracks each and one had 2 cracks. When I washed the cracks with acetone and globbed Vulkem on the cracks two of the vents are still leaking from cracks under the hinges.

I called VTS, where I bought them, and they told me there was only a one year warranty and I must have installed them wrong. They gave me a phone number for the company that makes them. I called them May 15, 2014 and talked to a man. He said the Fantastic fans are not made for Airstream trailers. He said he's told Airstream about the problem. He said the fans are made for a flat roof trailer, and do not fit the curve of the Airstream. The fans I bought are colored gray to agree with the Airstream aluminum, and came with a curved interior garnish to fit the curve of the roof of my trailer. Originally they fit good and worked nice. He said the fan bases need to be shimmed 1/8" on each side. This is the first I heard of that.

The good news: I received 3 new frames and gaskets May 28th at no charge. The bad news: I've got to climb on the trailer and replace all 3 vents . . . again.

I'm sorry I removed the 3 original vents. They were cast aluminum and didn't leak and had not cracked in 34 years. They just needed new lids at a fraction of the cost and at a fraction of the work of installing plastic fans . . . twice.

Even though Fantastic fans knew I was installing the replacement vents on an Airstream, they only provided the same flat gasket as came with the original fans that failed. There's no notes in the box on how to shim both sides of 3 fans 1/8".

NOT a happy camper!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
fantastic Fantastic fans!!!

Hi folks
i had both of my fans give me troubls on my 2002 Cl 31. the lift arm on the rear fan failed. when I called Fabtastic Fan they are sending me a new thermostat, lift motor and lift arm. I am being charged for the lift arm only!
my motor in my front fan would not turn I checked the "pin" switch a nd chcked the motor. it was pooched. they are sending me a full motor, fan and saddle assembly, free of charge.
my total cost is $47.00 including shipping. Awesome support.
Good on You Fantastic fans. you have my undevided support!
Pete
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #37
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
I don't have any idea why Airstream would recommend a non-silicone based caulk. That is contrary to FanTastic's instructions. My experience is that following instructions is the most important part of manufacturer's warranty service. Because you are talking about just one screw and on top of the base, I don't think you should do anything else at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshope View Post
...The Airstream is a 2014 that we purchased In April. I called the service department to see if I needed to pull the Airstream back to them to have it fixed under warranty or could I just screw the screw down and seal the screw head like all the others. They said I would be fine to just screw it in and seal the top with a none silicone based caulk. Let me know your thoughts. If need be I can always re seal the head of the screw with a silicone base caulk.
WBCCI #1573
Old 06-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #38
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Splitrock,

If we told you you installed them wrong, we were not doing our job correctly. We could not guess why they cracked or how you installed them. I'm sorry that happened. If you told us you installed them according to the instructions, then you installed them correctly.

If you have a record of who you spoke to at Fantastic, I'd like to know. The advice you got about a) not designed for Airstream; and b) he spoke to Airstream about it, and c) they need to be shimmed 1/8", should all be verified because that would all be brand new information to us. I will verify that information and get back to you, but I'm guessing you were not being told accurate information.

The only reasons to replace an original aluminum base vent in an Airstream are 1) your lifting hardware is missing and you cannot find any on eBay; or 2) you want dramatically increased airflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I called VTS, where I bought them, and they told me there was only a one year warranty and I must have installed them wrong. They gave me a phone number for the company that makes them. I called them May 15, 2014 and talked to a man. He said the Fantastic fans are not made for Airstream trailers. He said he's told Airstream about the problem. He said the fans are made for a flat roof trailer, and do not fit the curve of the Airstream. The fans I bought are colored gray to agree with the Airstream aluminum, and came with a curved interior garnish to fit the curve of the roof of my trailer. Originally they fit good and worked nice. He said the fan bases need to be shimmed 1/8" on each side. This is the first I heard of that.

The good news: I received 3 new frames and gaskets May 28th at no charge. The bad news: I've got to climb on the trailer and replace all 3 vents . . . again.

I'm sorry I removed the 3 original vents. They were cast aluminum and didn't leak and had not cracked in 34 years. They just needed new lids at a fraction of the cost and at a fraction of the work of installing plastic fans . . . twice.
WBCCI #1573
Old 06-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Not so Fantastic Fans - Maiden Voyage of our 2014 Flying Cloud 28'

Sometimes things happen.

I have to think that since FF sent new bases free , they didn't leave you high and dry and made a good attempt at providing good customer service well after the warrantee period had expired.

There are not a lot of companies who will exceed their obligations these days.

I will point out, if indeed the old vent frames were removed from a 76 Airstream, a lot of the roof structure around the vents will have been lost and IMO, it would not be unusual for the FF bases to crack.

Without the frames tying everything together, I have to imagine that there is a lot of movement as the aluminum transitions with heating and cooling cycles.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Fantastic Fans need to be shimmed 1/8" ???

@ -----> Steve Hingtgen Vintage Trailer Supply

The number I called was 800-521-0298

I don't know who I talked to. A man, sounded not young.

He told me:
1: I installed the fans wrong; (I installed them according to instructions)

2: The fans are not designed to be used on an Airstream. They are only designed for a flat roof trailer. They have problems with the fans on Airstream trailers. That he's talked to Airstream Corporation about it.

3: I needed to shim each side 1/8". The package he sent didn't include any shim material or instructions on how to shim.

When I installed the fans initially, I cleaned the surface, used the supplied gasket, and put silicone on the screw heads. All was dry the rest of the first and all of the second summer. I installed them 2010, and spring of 2012, they started leaking.

The initial leaking of the fans wasn't caused by the silicone failing, it was caused by the fan base cracking. Initially the bases cracked from the screw holes. Later the bases cracked from the top edge down to the flange. The leaks were substantial. I can see the cracks on the sides but the hinge sides are leaking too, so I imagine I'll find cracks under the hinges too. I need to rig up my scaffolding to get to the hinges and I haven't done that yet.

This isn't the end of the world, it's just annoying. I'm kicking myself for removing the oem vent bases. They were all good and not leaking. I imagined I was installing a better product after reading reviews on the Fantastic fans. I like the fan part. If Fantastic could make a replacement fan to replace the oem fan but keep the oem cast aluminum base, that would have been a much better option. Less top work too.

Installing Fantastic fans is really the only thing I'd do different in fixing this trailer up. Everything else turned out nice. It's mostly been a fun project.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote