Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #41

Grand Rapids , Michigan
@mdshope where did you camp in the Smokey Mountains? My wife and I just got our Airstream and we are researching campsites!
garylyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
@garylyons yes we did, for our first trip we went to a full hook site outside of Pigeon Forge. We visited several campgrounds while we were there so have a good idea of places and site locations we would like to stay. We prefer the National park spots like Cade's Cove, Elkmont or Smokemont and will stay in two of them this fall. If you are going to the NC or TN area of the Smokey Mtns message me the campgrounds or area and I will tell you if we looked at the campground or campgrounds in the area we would stay.
mdshope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Sorry to hear you had trouble with the fans.

In 2009 I installed 3 Fantastic fans on our '74 Sovereign and have had no problems with them. One thing to note is that the screw holes in the flange are for countersunk screws, which I think is a design flaw. If you use the flat-head screws that come with the fan they can split the flange at the hole. I used stainless steel round-head screws with lots of Trempro 635 under them. That way the force of the screw doesn't tend to cause the hole to crack. I think I got this idea from listening to Colin Hyde on The VAP.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Installing Fantastic Fans on older Airstream products with a curved roof (prior to 1994) is simple if done correctly. Once the inside and outside 'skins' have been cut to accommodate the new fan and you're ready to screw the base down to the skin, use the following screw order for PROPER shaping of the base to the top skin: start at either the center front or center back edge and install these screws first. Then proceed outward to either side front and back and then and only then should you secure the side edges. DO NOT secure the corners or edges first. Start at the top edge and work outward. That way, you won't have gaps or bulges and the plastic will shape itself to the curve. I've installed over 1000 Fantastic Fans on Airstreams and this method works perfectly.

Dave
oldfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The guy I talked to at FanTastic fan on May 15, 2014, told me that FanTastic fans are not designed to be used on Airstream trailers. He said they are designed to only be used on flat top trailers. He said the countersunk screws are a part of the problem with the bases splitting. He told me to shim the sides 1/8". He sent me three new bases and two new gaskets, flat head screws, no shim material, and no instructions on how to shim the sides.

I replaced the base for the front fan yesterday and the failed base was split from top to bottom in the front and from the bottom to within 1/2" of the top on the side. The old base had corner holes plus six holes per side. The replacement has corner holes plus three holes per side. The hinge on the old base mounts on the side. The hinge on the new base mounts on the bottom of the base. The crank arm bushing was reversed on the replacement base and couldn't be used.

All in all . . . a fantastic disappointment . . . and a lot of extra work.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
All three bases split on the hinge side at this location. This one had 2 cracks.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have two FantasticFans in our 19' Bambi. One was installed by the dealer when our Airstream was prepped for delivery (in 2005), and I installed the other one, myself, a year later.

When I removed the remaining original vent that was installed by Airstream, the plastic base was cracked around many of the mounting holes due to the factory over-torquing the screws. Also, the installation looked like a teenager had done it. The cutout in the roof was really rough and ragged; and it wasn't square, nor aligned to the roof spars. Plus, a couple of the sheet-metal screws had been over-tightened so much that they were stripped. -- All in all, a very unprofessional installation by Airstream.

When I enlarged the cutout for the second FantasticFan, I squared up the hole. And, when I installed the mounting hardware through the FantasticFan's plastic base, I used panhead screws with oversized flat washers; and I only tightened the screws to the point where the gasket was compressed. The flat washers spread out the compression stress over a larger area, which lessened the chance of cracks around the holes in the plastic base.

If you use the gasket provided by Atwood/FantasticVent and do not over-torque the mounting screws, you should be OK. These parts are plastic and wheel-lug torque is unnecessary and damaging. The mounting hardware should only be snug enough to compress the gasket slightly and prevent leaks.

Unfortunately, the old adage is true -- "If you want it done right; do it yourself". At least, if the installation gets screwed up, you'll know who to blame.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
Oakton , Virginia
Thanks for all of the great tips on Fantastic (Fan-Tastic) vents.

I received two new vents (Fan-Tastic Vent 6600R/417) and noticed quality control issues. One unit is is properly assembled.

However, on the second unit the fan-mounting screw had fallen out. Also, none of the three mounting screws holding the fan motor to the frame have been tightened properly, leaving about a 1/16 inch gap. I will have to see if the screws are too long, or if the internally-threaded holes merely need to be drilled more deeply.

If I can upload a pic of the good unit, you will see it with this post.

Thanks, Dean E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fantastic mount.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	215934  
Dean E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Comment:

The motors in the FantasticFans in our Bambi (installed in 2005 & 2006) look like the one in the photo below.

It appears Atwood changed the fan motor after they bought Fantastic Vent a year or two ago. Time will tell whether this update was an improvement on a reliable design, or just a cost-saving measure.

Note: Thumbnail is a cropped extract from a Fantastic Vent marketing photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzjunk.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	215935  
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I had trouble understanding 3/4 of this thread. I never paid much attention to the darn things. All I know - it seems to work - but have never figured out where it's pulling the air in or pushing it out. Whatever it's doing, it does it quietly. No whine, hiss, boo, clink, or clank.

Darn crow keeps pecking at the cover on the over-bed one. Wakes me up!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #51
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Fantastic has really changed. The service department is still very friendly but everything else has changed including the product they offer.
I found the "not designed for Airstreams" comment interesting. When I was at International in 2009 Fantastic had a crew selling and installing them. Those guys were hopping from sun up till sun down installing vents on Airstreams.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Fan Pics

The replacement fan base has 3 screw holes on each side in addition to the corner screw holes. The bases that failed had 6 screw holes on each side in addition to the corner screw holes.

The hinges mount on the sides on the failed bases. The hinges mount on the bottoms on the replacement bases.

The front base had 2 cracks opposite the hinge side in addition to the fracture on the hinge side.

The replacement base didn't have room in the screw holes for a washer head screw. I washed the new fan bases with acetone but Vulkem didn't stick to it at all. After a week, I could pull all the Vulkem off in one piece. I ended up using DuPont Tyvek adhesive. That stuck to everything.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #53

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
smithfield , North Carolina
This is my first post on here. I have now in my possession a1976 sovereign. I need an owner's manual and am finding on line a set to buy with all 1970 trailers manuals inside. Does anyone know if you can just buy the one I need? I have to decide if I am to make this airstream road worthy, or just gut it and redo and let it live in my backyard to be enjoyed by friends and family. My "shiny Hiney" as she is called may be a romantic notion gone crazy! Everything inside is original, needs cleaning, and if I gut it I wonder if anyone is looking to buy pieces for an actual renovation job of their own trailer. Oh my, I think I just realized this was a reply to the other person's question. sorry. Well, all this typing....I will send it anyway just to see if it works and then I will figure out later how to post my question. Tara
funny framer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #54
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean E View Post
Thanks for all of the great tips on Fantastic (Fan-Tastic) vents.

I received two new vents (Fan-Tastic Vent 6600R/417) and noticed quality control issues. One unit is is properly assembled.

Thanks, Dean E
I received two Fan-Tastic Vents. One was good. One whined incessantly. The good one has a tall black motor (original design). The bad one has the flat brass motor (new design). We ordered a new motor. Came as the flat brass type, also makes the same loud whining sound so no joy there.

I have fitted Fan-Tastic Vents to all of my older aluminum coaches and one of the things I have loved about them is how quiet they ran (virtually silent at low speeds). The new design is definitely not an improvement IMHO.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I just noticed we have 2 different Fantastic Fans in our 2014. The one in the rear is the same as our last AS. You can pull down on the gear handle and manually open the vent. I really like this feature. I can crack it open even in a rain. The fan in the bedroom does not allow manual operation. Is this intentional or did I get one of the last good ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #56
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Smile Fan-Tastic Vents with Automatic Lift Motors

Hi Landrum,

We sell a ton of your style fans to Airstream owners. Yes, there have been changes with the new motor. However, the override feature you like is still there...just changed.

To manually open or close the lid on your fan with the yellow/gold color motor, grasp the black hand knob and turn in the direction you desire. Do not pull down on the knob because doing so may damage your fan. The older version of this model used a 2-position clutch knob that required pulling down to activate the manual feature. The new lift motor does not require any such action.

This information is mentioned in the manuals that come with the fans now...but if it was pre-installed by Airstream you probably didn't get that manual.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I just noticed we have 2 different Fantastic Fans in our 2014. The one in the rear is the same as our last AS. You can pull down on the gear handle and manually open the vent. I really like this feature. I can crack it open even in a rain. The fan in the bedroom does not allow manual operation. Is this intentional or did I get one of the last good ones?

WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
New Bern , North Carolina
I had an issue with my Fantastic Fan in my previous 5th wheel a couple of years ago. I phoned Fantastic Vent and they sent me the part at no charge. It arrived the next day. Oh yea, I forgot to mention my warranty had expired. Unless they have dramatically changed, I have nothing but great things to say about that particular company.
Van1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks VintageRV. I may actually like the new one better now since it always took some fiddling to re-engage the life motor.

Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote