Old 05-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
I called fantastic fan this morning and the fans due have a two year warranty. They did not spend a whole lot of time trouble shooting with me instead the just got my model number of the fan and date I purchased the airstream and VIN. They are going to send me the replacement for the entire interior control board. Five screws and it drops down and everything is connect with spade clips. Pretty simple swap and since the exterior housing and shroud stay in place nothing to seal and as long as it didn't leak before it should be the same.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Fantastic fans are fantastic. You will find them very helpful and willing to please.

My problem was a frog. It jumped into the lid opening and, you guessed it "DEAD". On its way to its demise, the fan in motion spun the poor thing into the thermocouple and snap-broke, oh no. Called Fantastic Fan and the girl on the phone after hearing my story said reassuringly we will sent you the thermocouple switch assemble, No Charge!. Thank you Fantastic Fan. Best thing I bought for my AS ever. By the way when I purchased the fans in'09, I did not realize they require the interior curved execution kit for the Airstream. When I called them they sent me 2, No Charge. Good luck with yours, I am sure they will come thru for you!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshope View Post
I called fantastic fan this morning and the fans due have a two year warranty. They did not spend a whole lot of time trouble shooting with me instead the just got my model number of the fan and date I purchased the airstream and VIN. They are going to send me the replacement for the entire interior control board. Five screws and it drops down and everything is connect with spade clips. Pretty simple swap and since the exterior housing and shroud stay in place nothing to seal and as long as it didn't leak before it should be the same.
It's good they rethought the warranty, I'll update my info.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Fantastic Sending New Parts

As an update to my previous post, I called Fantastic Fans and they are sending me a new motor assembly to correct the one that whines incessantly.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Fantastic Warranty is unchanged.

Just to be absolutely clear. The Fan-Tastic warranty period is 2 years on most of it. 5 years on the lid.
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1968 17' Caravel
Lakewood , New Jersey
The most recent Fantastic Fans have a different appearance and sound to them. I believe some of the components are sourced from different companies than the parts we are familiar with.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #21
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Different parts than before? That's interesting.

One of the things I love most about Fantastic Fans is that they are virtually silent when running at moderate to low speeds. One of my two FFs whines at any speed. When I called FF they said bad motor and have sent one out (not here yet).

I sure hope Atwood isn't doing what some large corporations seem to do after they acquire a small company (change everything that made them a great a acquisition target). They always seem to fail to understand that the small firm became a great acquisition target based on quality and service, then they change (cheapen) parts, reduce service, fire everybody who has a long history (those who know the product intimately) and replace them with low paid workers who know nothing. Please I hope that is not happening to FF.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
So true, they are not what they used to be.

Atwood bought out Fantastic Vent, the maker of the Fantastic Fan, about two years ago and moved the operation to Elkhart, Indiana to be "closer to the heart of the RV industry." Very few of the old company made the move. Stephen Milks, grandson of the inventor of the Fantastic Fan, Steve Milks, did move and is still with the company today. However, many of the parts that used to be made in the USA and Canada are now manufactured in an "offshore manufacturing facility." And recently, Atwood was sold and along with it, Fantastic Vent. Rest assured, the Fantastic Fan is no longer what it used to be.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
BTW, the interior 'curved' section between the fan's body and AS roof is called a garnish and is only used on the older trailers with a curved ceiling, that is, up through 1994 models when the roof became flatter. From 1994 on, the curved garnish was not needed.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRV View Post
Just to be absolutely clear. The Fan-Tastic warranty period is 2 years on most of it. 5 years on the lid.
Hi, this has always been my understanding of their warranty, but they always sent whatever I needed at no cost to me and some of it was way past five years.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
Different parts than before? That's interesting.

One of the things I love most about Fantastic Fans is that they are virtually silent when running at moderate to low speeds. One of my two FFs whines at any speed. When I called FF they said bad motor and have sent one out (not here yet).

I sure hope Atwood isn't doing what some large corporations seem to do after they acquire a small company (change everything that made them a great a acquisition target). They always seem to fail to understand that the small firm became a great acquisition target based on quality and service, then they change (cheapen) parts, reduce service, fire everybody who has a long history (those who know the product intimately) and replace them with low paid workers who know nothing. Please I hope that is not happening to FF.
Hi, I also had a noisy motor. I was told to reverse it at times and it should get quieter. I told them that mine didn't reverse, so they sent me a reverse kit. Free. The motor still made too much noise so they sent me a new motor. The old motor was round, tall and black. The new motor was short, flat, brushless, and white.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
Update - received my replace lower control assembly from Fantastic Fan. Only took 20 minutes to change out. I was able to do it all from inside the Airstream except the rain sensor had to get a ladder to reach it to take it loose and install the replacement water sensor. Everything works perfect. Only one problem, When I was on the ladder taking care of the rain sensor I notice another problem and maybe it is a bigger deal than the fan not working. One of the screws that attaches the fan to the exterior of the Airstream was not screwed down flush. It had some of the white sealant on the head of it but it was sticking up about the entire length of the screw. I thought all I needed to do was screw it down and reveal the head of the screw. It would not screw in. I didn't want to force it, so now I am wondering what I can do? Do these exterior screws just screw into the sheet metal or is there something specific it screw into and it just isn't lined up? How big of an issue is this? Is this something that I should take it back to the dealer? Any advise would be great. Out of Doors Mart doesn't have there service people in on weekends so I will have to wait until Monday to call if that is the best thing.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshope View Post
Update - received my replace lower control assembly from Fantastic Fan. Only took 20 minutes to change out. I was able to do it all from inside the Airstream except the rain sensor had to get a ladder to reach it to take it loose and install the replacement water sensor. Everything works perfect. Only one problem, When I was on the ladder taking care of the rain sensor I notice another problem and maybe it is a bigger deal than the fan not working. One of the screws that attaches the fan to the exterior of the Airstream was not screwed down flush. It had some of the white sealant on the head of it but it was sticking up about the entire length of the screw. I thought all I needed to do was screw it down and reveal the head of the screw. It would not screw in. I didn't want to force it, so now I am wondering what I can do? Do these exterior screws just screw into the sheet metal or is there something specific it screw into and it just isn't lined up? How big of an issue is this? Is this something that I should take it back to the dealer? Any advise would be great. Out of Doors Mart doesn't have there service people in on weekends so I will have to wait until Monday to call if that is the best thing.
How about a photo?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, remove the screw, clean it and re-install it as long as it isn't 3"s long. Should be maybe 1" long and it only goes into the roof skin, so don't super torque it. Add sealer and you should be fine. [you might want to add sealer to the screw before you re-install it]

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144