Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Newbies can't figure out the Fantastic Fan

There's no question too dumb for a newbie to ask, right? So here goes:

We can't figure out the Fantastic Fan controls on our new 2015 23 ft Flying Cloud. How do you operate the motorized vent controls? We have figured out the manual lift but only sporadically and accidentally get the motorized lift to work. (The information that came with the trailer is astoundingly unhelpful.) Thanks!
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
My '02 Classic has 2 Fantastic Fans. In the front the controls are all on the fan surround. Then fan speed has 0, 1, 2, and 3. 0 is the fan off. 1, 2, or 3 is the fan speeds. There is also a thermostat dial on the controls. There are two toggle switches as well. One is for air pulled in or pushed out. The other is for fan open and running or closed and fan off. In the bedroom the controls are the same except for a wall mounted thermostat. This will also act as the on / off switch as long as the speeds are on 1, 2, or 3. Both of mine also have rain sensors that close the vent when it rains if the speeds are on 1, 2, or 3 AND the manual opening knob is engaged for automatic use.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
Farmer Dan likely has it right..

I've learned it about a half dozen times, and then have to relearn just about every time we use it. It's a very clever device, but it has a terribly non-intuitive user interface which imo takes a lot away from it's potential utility. Maybe some better labeling on the 2 switches would help.. on my list.

So don't feel bad Danielle for asking..
garybair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
On the bright side, the user interface (UI) on the Fantastic Fan won't frustrate you nearly as much as the UI on the Clarion audio deck.. :-/ (but alas I don't intend to hijack your thread so no one needs to comment on that here)
Old 11-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The manual lift control also pulls and pushes. One way it runs on the motor, the other way it is manual operation only.

I am not near my trailer now, so I can't go and see which is which (pull or push) but it is another variable in the picture.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Tagging into this as these fans frustrate the crap out of me also......
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
In 2013 the Fantastic Fan had a lid crank with a clutch so that you could just pull down the knob and turn to open.

In 2014 they changed to a crank that requires you to turn the gears while you turn the crank knob. The tech at Fantastic Fan doesn't know the reason for the change but told me that it's ok to turn the gears with the knob.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
we had the same issue with our 2015 we called zech support from the fan company. they changed how it works. it does not automatically reopen when it closes from rain. if damp when you do open it may reshut
you turn on main control then the on off for the lid. you may leave the main on and if it shuts with rain you turn the vent fan off and back on. the company told us that you can manually open the lid to get it to dry the sensor. overall. when we want to use the fan we leave the main control switch on and work with the vent switch. remember. not like previous fans it will nit automatcally reopen. i would send a picture of the switched but unit is on storage. we also had to let our dealer know if the changes in the operation of the fans. they were not aware
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We were at a nice camp site when I heard my wife scream at the top of her lungs and I came running to see what happened, as I was about to open the door I heard her saying I will get the ××××× person who came up with this fan.

I knew then NOT to open the door at this point.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
For once, I am not alone. It's true that I have to "reacquaint" myself each trip out. I just flip switches until I get it to open.
I had no idea that the fan was multi directional.
Right on Gary. Clarion is humbling too.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That is why we switched the two stock Fantastic fans out for the Maxxfan model 7000K on the 201523D. Plus no shroud is needed to keep the rain out like on the Fantastic fans. We will replace the Fantastic fan in the Classic in the spring with a 7000K Maxxfan and get also get rid of the Fantastic fan shroud.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Ignoring for a moment the change in the rain re-open function, this is our personal preferred method of using the Fantastic Fans in our 28' International (2010):

We leave the main switch on, and have the manual switch pushed to engage the auto function. We leave the fan speed switch (the big one) on "1" almost all of the time (if you turn it to "0", it serves as a second "off" switch, where is where it's easy to get confused.) We then use the thermostat switch as an on/off switch. We either set it and leave it to work automatically, or turn it to colder if we want to "semi-automatically" activate the fan, or turn it to warmer to find the set point to "semi-automatically" turn it off.

There have definitely been times, expecially in damp conditions, when the rain sensor function can be irritating. In those times, we pull the knob down to go to manual to open and close the lid, but we still use the thermostat as our primary on/off switch.

When we leave the coach in storage, we turn the main (little) switch to off AND the fan speed switch to "0", just to be safe.

As I read the forum posts, it looks like Fantastic Fan has changed the rain re-open function since we purchased our 2010 28' International and since we added another Fantastic Fan when we customized our Sprinter 3500 2013 tow vehicle. This is most likely because people complained about the opening/closing after a rain when the sensor remained damp.

Five minutes ago, we watched as a shower passed over our Sprinter outside the house. The vent closed perfectly, and then reopened after it passed. This has been our primary experience, and we like the Fantastic Fans very much for it.

Hope you enjoy yours, too!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Tagging into this as these fans frustrate the crap out of me also......
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
makes 2 of us! 2015 27ft. international signature. rear fan works o.k. front fan cycles up amd down constantly!
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie t. moto View Post
makes 2 of us! 2015 27ft. international signature. rear fan works o.k. front fan cycles up amd down constantly!
2015 will still be under warranty - call Fantastic fan, they will send you a new rain sensor and instructions - it's pretty much plug and play. I have the controls memorized, but then I fulltime.

Paula
Old 11-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
That is why we switched the two stock Fantastic fans out for the Maxxfan model 7000K on the 201523D. Plus no shroud is needed to keep the rain out like on the Fantastic fans. We will replace the Fantastic fan in the Classic in the spring with a 7000K Maxxfan and get also get rid of the Fantastic fan shroud.
switz, do you find that there is as much light with the Maxxfan as the Fantastic fan. I have been planning on changing out one fan in a new 25 FC because the AS comes with single direction fans. I have really liked what I have seen on the Maxxfan and if I'm going to change one out I might as well get one that meets all my needs. Thanks.
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Here is my Fantastic fan "cheat sheet" which I wrote for my own sanity. I was always confused by the fan settings so I wrote my own step-by-step instructions. I'm attaching the PDF file, hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fan-Tastic_Fan_Cheat_Sheet.pdf (447.4 KB, 280 views)
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I gotta agree, the fantastic fans are not the easiest things ever, but usually I can get them to work. It does get frustrating at times though...especially when the fan thinks it's wet but you really want it on.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
Thanks Yolanda for the cheat sheet - that's helpful.

You might update it for manual operation. Sometime we want to just crack it a bit by cranking the knob, to keep the place from condensing up at night while sleeping. We found the power switch opens it all the way or nothing (unless we're using it wrong.. which is entirely possible).. :-)
Old 11-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Good point Gary! Thanks, I'll add that in (once I figure it out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybair View Post
Thanks Yolanda for the cheat sheet - that's helpful.

You might update it for manual operation. Sometime we want to just crack it a bit by cranking the knob, to keep the place from condensing up at night while sleeping. We found the power switch opens it all the way or nothing (unless we're using it wrong.. which is entirely possible).. :-)
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
In 2013 the Fantastic Fan had a lid crank with a clutch so that you could just pull down the knob and turn to open.

In 2014 they changed to a crank that requires you to turn the gears while you turn the crank knob. The tech at Fantastic Fan doesn't know the reason for the change but told me that it's ok to turn the gears with the knob.
We have a 2014 and to manually open the FF you still pull the knob. Auto opening and closing is with the knob pushed up. Ours originally only vented out, but I called FF and got the schematics and switches and easily turned them both into intake and exhaust units.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote