Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB International
Parksville , British Columbia
Newbie; looking to buy 2011 Flying Cloud 23ft FB

Looking to buy a 2011 flying cloud, is there anything I should check on while surveying the trailer? She's about 9 months old ,so she's been slighty used .Its from the dealer that originally sold this unit . Any suggestions on extended warranties good , or bad.

LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I'd say just put it through its paces. Have them hook you up and run water trough the tanks, make sure the monitor panels are working and water flows correctly. Those were the biggest issues on my 2011. Here's what I've had addressed on mine since I bought it.
- water not draining properly to grey tank
- tank monitor panel not accurate
- awning not aligned properly
- outside shower line linked, no pressure
- aux sprayer at kitchen sink not working
- HDMI cables or rear TV not plugged into splitter

But try it all and have them fix it first. I'd assume there's still some warranty left. Forget the extended warranty, it's not through Airstream.

- Ronnie
bike_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
All in all we've been very satisfied with our 23FB.

Just make sure you spend a good deal of time during the walk through.

Ronnie has made some good generic observations.

Some other stuff:

• Check for loose screws (could be stripped in the soft wood). The microwave is a good example.

• See if you can run water in the shower and check for leaks.

• The refrigerator fan (outside) makes a great deal of noise and runs constantly, so make sure they have installed a manual shutoff switch (without it, a good night's sleep will be hard to come by).

• And be prepared to buy a foam topper for the rock hard mattress. ;-)

Good luck!
2013 25 FC FB (Twin)
2013 Suburban 2500

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My thought is that the most important thing to check for is leaks. Check in the compartments and around the door and edges of the floor. If it has disc brakes check them for binding and for the actuator. Check the electrical with the AC running. Check for skin for dents and holes. Check exterior for corrosion. Check awnings for function and sealing around attachments. Check the appliances for function. Check holding tank valves for leakage and function. Put water in the freshwater tank. Check for leaking during the fill. Check to see if the pump pressurizes and holds pressure. Check fill level of the batteries.
I would not buy an extended warranty.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB International
Parksville , British Columbia

Thank you all very much for your input ,we puchased our 2011 23 Flying Cloud this past weekend Everything was in working order as we did the walk through We didn't get the extended warranty , but the dealer tells me I will have to pay $250 to Airstreamn to transfer the Airstream warrenty to me . Anybody know about this?
LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes Airstream states in their original warranty a transfer to another owner would be $250. Still a good buy if a manufacture defect shows up. Most of the accessories have their own warranty and they are quite good, although probably 1 year from original purchase.

The Airstream warranty has so many holes in it you could drive a truck through, but lucky you did not get an extended version which is much worse.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I agree with Doug. We negotiated the charge though. Just because there's a 250.00 fee for the traansfer doesn't mean you have to pay it. When was the trailer originally purchased and how many months remain on the warranty? The warranty was the last thing we dealt with on our sale and when they said we had to pay, we said we'd rather walk. They paid. To get a trailer that is less than two years old and be expected to pay for the warranty is not fair. I know AS expects someone to pay, but it shouldn't be you......

Hope is not a plan.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote