Old 06-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I thought going to E's would be the answer for me but on the first trip of year 4 of use, I experienced two belt separations on my E rated Maxxis tires. I kept those at 80 psi due to the weight of my Classic slide out. Bottom line ST tires for those of us with heavy loads probably need to be replaced on a 3 year cycle rather than a 5 like we have been accustomed to in the past. My belt separation occurred with my Marathon's at the end of year 3 of use.

Jack
My tire guy who sold me the Maxxis I used said three years, four max. So I agree. I had the e rated tires also. Since changed to LT Firestones.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I thought going to E's would be the answer for me but on the first trip of year 4 of use, I experienced two belt separations on my E rated Maxxis tires. I kept those at 80 psi due to the weight of my Classic slide out. Bottom line ST tires for those of us with heavy loads probably need to be replaced on a 3 year cycle rather than a 5 like we have been accustomed to in the past. My belt separation occurred with my Marathon's at the end of year 3 of use.

Jack
I too run E rated Maxxis on my 1990 29' Excella and had tread separation in year 3. I ran them at 75-80 psi and one one each side (2 out of 4) began to have tread separation. My Tire Minder system alerted me to pressure loss before any damage was done fortunately (paid for itself at once!). I replaced all four tires with new Maxxis and kept the two "good" ones for spares. I'm in year 2 of these new ones, and traveling with two spares just in case.

Next year I'm trading in my 15' aluminum rims and going to 16" and getting the Michelin LT tires that AS puts on some of their higher priced units. I do have some rivets inside that have popped, but then the Excella is 26 yrs old.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Every time I stop I feel each tire with the back of my hand if hot I know it is under inflated or there is a problem.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
New Tires - got Load Range E instead of Load Range D

My failures looked like this. Note the failed tire next to a good tire.

These are the E rated Maxxis tires. Air infiltrated between the belts and the tread. Lucky I caught these prior to blowing out on the road.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I switched from Load Range D to Load E on my previous trailer.
I traded the trailer 4 months later so I don't know about the long run performance.
After tread separation within 3 years on this trailer I opted to get 16" wheels and LT tires.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I switched from Load Range D to Load E on my previous trailer.
I traded the trailer 4 months later so I don't know about the long run performance.
After tread separation within 3 years on this trailer I opted to get 16" wheels and LT tires.
And your point is....?

The punishment delivered to tires by a 2 or 3 axle trailer is quite different than to a single-axle trailer due to side-loading, twisting, mis-alignment of axles, and such. The Bambis have a much better record of tire durability due to lighter weights and less sidewall stress from maneuvering than multi-axle trailers.
This is not to say that Bambis don't occasion tire failures due to overloading, underinflation, old-age, lack of regular inspection, and other owner-induced problems.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That's the sales pitch.
It's a good theory that doesn't really translate to reality.
"Stronger sidewalls to withstand RV shear"
Point is: in general ST tires are made in China and will barely last 3 years.
At close to 3 years on 2 different trailers I had tread separation on 2 or 3 tires like a picture in an earlier post.
Next event? The tire comes apart while under way and tears up your wheel wells, siding, banana wraps, and underbelly.
It may rip off your drains, too.
Point is: no more ST tires for me-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #36

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
From my standpoint the strong sales point is the economics. First there is the cost of your deductible to repair the damage caused by the tires flying apart. Secondly the knowledge that in my case with ST tires I need to replace them sometime in their 3rd year of use. You figure it all out, the one time cost of the wheel upgrade and getting 5-6 years out of a set of LT's, there is real cost justification for moving away from ST''s for me.

Now for others with lighter loads, ST's may perform perfectly well. In my case however, when I know I've done everything I can to protect and use my ST tires safely, with my specific trailer ST's are just not a practical option without frequent change outs.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Colville , Washington
Ride test

An easy way to test out how your trailer may ride with 65 pst or 80 psi is with your tow vehicle. I used to tow a 5th wheel trailer that weighed over 3000 lbs on the hitch. I used Mitchel in load range E tires with about 80 psi. When driving without the trailer over normal highway expansion joints my teath and back would rattle. Reducing the tire pressure down to 65 psi gave a much improved ride with the empty truck.

Maybe that is why my AS owners manual only recommends inflating tires to 50 psi.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtH93 View Post

Maybe that is why my AS owners manual only recommends inflating tires to 50 psi.

Hi there. Maybe it's because your original tires were 14" (or possibly 15") load range C tires? Do you have a record of the original tires or know for sure what they were?

Mine were the GYM ST225/70R15 which held 2450# and were required to be inflated to 65 PSI. I now use the Michelin P235/75R15 which hold 1985# and have a max of 50 PSI.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The tire placard on the side of my trailer says 65 mph.
I'm sure it has to do with weight, GVW, and tire size.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . as my old man told me, opinions are like . . . noses, everybody has one, particularly when it comes to tires ! Add to that the 'if you don't do it like me, you're an idiot' faction & you have a never ending tire debate. Fact. . . I've had 3 ASs with 15" wheels & Carlisles / GYMs and NEVER had a failure ! ( 6 years & about 35k miles ) I keep them covered & properly inflated. Do I think you should buy LT or ST tires ? Nope, your business, & I hope everybody weighs the options, & makes good choices for them. . . OK, I'm done......... good luck, Craig
Old 06-07-2016, 03:26 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from AZ. . . as my old man told me, opinions are like . . . noses, everybody has one, particularly when it comes to tires ! Add to that the 'if you don't do it like me, you're an idiot' faction & you have a never ending tire debate. Fact. . . I've had 3 ASs with 15" wheels & Carlisles / GYMs and NEVER had a failure ! ( 6 years & about 35k miles ) I keep them covered & properly inflated. Do I think you should buy LT or ST tires ? Nope, your business, & I hope everybody weighs the options, & makes good choices for them. . . OK, I'm done......... good luck, Craig

Well you don't have to be so logical and nice about it! 😡
😀😀😀

(In case the emojis fail - that was thick sarcasm to demonstrate appreciation)
Old 06-07-2016, 06:36 AM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post
I too run E rated Maxxis on my 1990 29' Excella and had tread separation in year 3. I ran them at 75-80 psi and one one each side (2 out of 4) began to have tread separation. My Tire Minder system alerted me to pressure loss before any damage was done fortunately (paid for itself at once!). I replaced all four tires with new Maxxis and kept the two "good" ones for spares. I'm in year 2 of these new ones, and traveling with two spares just in case.

Next year I'm trading in my 15' aluminum rims and going to 16" and getting the Michelin LT tires that AS puts on some of their higher priced units. I do have some rivets inside that have popped, but then the Excella is 26 yrs old.

Air loss is not usually an early indication of Tread Separation but of a puncture or loss or air from leaking valve. Tread separation can many times be seen when doing an annual "Free Spin" tire roundness test as seen in THIS video.
I have covered the process of doing your own inspection in a post on my blog.

Loss of air is many times an early warning of and cause of Run Low Flex Failure. You can learn more about that condition with simple Google of the term "run low flex failure"

Tread separation normally takes months to develop and grow. Run Low Flex can happen in just a few minutes.