Old 06-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Perhaps I can answer those questions: (Roger, feel free to correct, augment, or contradict me!)

(1.) Will your wheels handle 80 lbs pressure?

Very, very likely. My research indicates that even if the wheel is marked otherwise, inflation pressure plays such a small role in wheel stresses that it is basically a non-issue. Note: Load is PRIMARY issue and should not be ignored.

(2.) If you run 65 lbs, will you have the same as load range D capabilities?

Yes.

(3.) At 80 lbs, with a thicker/heavier tire, it has to ride rougher.

True, but the amount is only 80/65 = 1.23 or 23% more.

(4.) Example: Tires are not actually 10 ply, but rather 10 ply rated. Could be 6 plies that are stronger than the smaller/less strong 10 plies of yesteryear.

First, that is the reason I prefer to use "Load Range" as it eliminates this confusion.

Second, you have to go way, way back to the era when they were 10 actual plies - and even then I don't think they were doing that. BTW, we are talking the 1910's, 1920's, 1930's - something like that. Certainly within our lifetimes, no one was using 10 actual plies.

But even back at the origins of pneumatic tires, it is very very likely that tire engineers understood that strength could be increased by using a larger cord, but less plies, rather than just by using more plies.
Only comment to add to Capri is that I know for a fact that some LR-D and LR-E only have increased number of steel strands in the belts as a difference. This to pass the required "Plunger" test where tire companies are required to push a 3/4" rod through the tread at rated inflation. In my case the increase in steel belts was sufficient as the rest of the tire passed LR-E testing.

Example. A D might have 20 strands per inch width and an E might get 24 strands (20% more) per inch of the same steel cord.

Tire engineering is fun

Old 06-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I thought going to E's would be the answer for me but on the first trip of year 4 of use, I experienced two belt separations on my E rated Maxxis tires. I kept those at 80 psi due to the weight of my Classic slide out. Bottom line ST tires for those of us with heavy loads probably need to be replaced on a 3 year cycle rather than a 5 like we have been accustomed to in the past. My belt separation occurred with my Marathon's at the end of year 3 of use.

Jack
Did you stay well below 65 mph or did you ever exceed the tire "Redline" speed?

Capri both race and know what happens when you exceed engine redline. Definitely not good for budget to have to buy a new engine. But people can go ahead and exceed tire redline cuz tires are less expensive than engines.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
A general post on trailer tire inflation.

Speaking just about tire durability I would suggest you Google "Interply Shear tires" and learn about the advantages of running higher tire pressure to lower this force that is trying to tear the tire belts off the body.

Bumpy ride is also controlled by how fast you hit the bumps.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #18
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Question, What advantage is there going to an "E" rated tire when the 15" wheel has a max. load of 2200 lbs.? These wheels are the stock ones that Airstream used.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
You'll be just fine tuning the Carlysle E rated tires. I switched to them about 12 years ago and never looked back. On our former AS 30 and the current 34, I run them at 80 psi.
70,000 miles, no problems, one flat from a piece of wire, and that's all.
Good luck
Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
So would you guys rate Carlisle the same, superior or inferior to the Michelins?
Old 06-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #21
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamsmd View Post
So would you guys rate Carlisle the same, superior or inferior to the Michelins?
IMO, it's an apple to an orange comparing a Carlisle trailer tire to a Michelin LT tire. As far as trailer tires go, my homework concluded that the current production Carlisle trailer tires were some of the better ones....... No doubt Michelin makes great tires, however, I don't belong to the Michelin cult like some.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamsmd View Post
Michelin for the truck and Carlisle for the trailer
Old 06-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Micanopy , Florida
Hey folks, here a monkey wrench. Below is the reply I got from Maxxis tires support team. They kinda think different about upgrading load range. Interesting...
Rick
There is not a known point where a reduced inflation pressure would cause tire damage. Simply, there are just too many variables. The most important issue is to match your inflation pressure to your maximum loaded weight. If you are considering going to a heavier ply tire, perhaps thinking that would would add strength, durability or increased "safety", that will likely not be the case. Since heavier rated tires have addition components and more materials, they will also build up more heat, which you don't want. Don't use a higher ply rated tire unless it is needed to carry the load. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
Old 06-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
I thought going to E's would be the answer for me but on the first trip of year 4 of use, I experienced two belt separations on my E rated Maxxis tires. I kept those at 80 psi due to the weight of my Classic slide out. Bottom line ST tires for those of us with heavy loads probably need to be replaced on a 3 year cycle rather than a 5 like we have been accustomed to in the past. My belt separation occurred with my Marathon's at the end of year 3 of use.

Jack
I take one multi day freeway trip in very hot weather per year.
Three years ago I went to C rated LT tires which matched the 15 inch wheels on my 25 Safari because of serial tire failures with ST tires, i.e, catastrophic blowouts after hours of driving at 65 mph in 100+ weather. Fortunately, none of these problems damaged anything but my tires.
My answers to your questions are as follows. The E rated tires rode rough inflated to 80 pounds but not rough enough to do any damage to the trailer. You could tell the trailer was back there particularly on undulating roads when the rig would "hobby horse". I could not tell any difference between the ride of the D and E rated ST tires when each was inflated to 60 pounds.
I had best results with Maxxis ST tires. Carlyses, GYMs and TowCrap Chinese junk all faired poorly.
If the new Carlyse tires are truly rated for 80 mph, they may be improved but I would still stick to 65 and if possible drive in the cool parts of the day.
My ride is much improved with LT tires inflated to 50 pounds and I have had zero tire trouble and drive at 75 mph if I am in a hurry.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Quick question - have a 2012 Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin. Just replaced the tires (over 5 years old) and wound up with Carlisle Load Range E to replace the original Goodyear Marathons, which were Load Range D.

Did I goof? The Carlisle tires were the top rated tires at Discount Tire in the correct size.

Did notice that top speed stamped on the tire is 80 mph vs. the 65 mph I've always been told is the top speed for the Marathons. Not that I drive that fast towing...

Also see the the inflation is 80 psi vs. 60 (or was it 65?) on the Marathons. Do I inflate to 80?

So E will handle a heavier load than D, I get that. But will the E's beat the crud out of the trailer?

Average 5,000 or so miles per year, mostly in the summer when it's hot. Mostly mountain driving in the west. Crossing Nevada in July.

Tow vehicle is a 5.7 4x4 Sequoia.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight.
I think you will be fine. My 34' has 5 year old Carlisle tires. But, I have not towed it that much.

I've run 225 75R 15 E ST Tow King Power Max for my last two sets of tires on my 25' Safari. I have had zero issues, except a flat when one tire picked up a screw. Heading out on a 6,000 mile trip on Tuesday. I'm not worried at all about tires. If I were going to get new tires today, I would get the same exact tire.

The manufactures' placard on my 25' says to run 50 psi in the tires. On the inside of the aluminum wheels on my Safari there is a warning molded into the metal that says "65 PSI Max". I've tried several air pressures since I started using the E rated tires. At first I tried 65 psi and found the ride was too harsh. Screws in the cabinet hinges stripped out of the wood. Then I tried 50 psi and found that the tires wore faster on the outer edges. Now I run 55 psi. Tires wear evenly now and there has been no more issues with screws stripping.

I've made a few runs where the temperatures were over 100F. No problems with excessive heat buildup.
At 55 psi the tires are good for over 2,000 lb per tire.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Did you stay well below 65 mph or did you ever exceed the tire "Redline" speed?

Capri both race and know what happens when you exceed engine redline. Definitely not good for budget to have to buy a new engine. But people can go ahead and exceed tire redline cuz tires are less expensive than engines.
I tow at 60. Trailer stored inside so no excessive UV exposure. Tires always checked and inflated to 65 psi on Marathons, and 80 psi cold on the E rated Maxxis. I got almost 3 years of service on the Marathons, Maxxis failed 1st trip of season 4.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:30 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greenwood Village , Colorado
Range of experiences here.

Thinking I will run at 80 psi for a day or two, monitor temp ( I use a tire pressure / temperature monitoring system), and see how the ride is.

Max on these is 80, but it's okay to run lower, right??? How low? Sounds like no lower than 65.

Do I have this right - higher psi should result in lower temperature? So if I drop to 65, I should see the temperature increase. I do know that high temperatures are bad for tires...

But the stock aluminum wheels on a Flying Cloud - maybe not okay for 80 psi?

Decisions, decisions...
Old 06-05-2016, 11:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
I tow at 60. Trailer stored inside so no excessive UV exposure. Tires always checked and inflated to 65 psi on Marathons, and 80 psi cold on the E rated Maxxis. I got almost 3 years of service on the Marathons, Maxxis failed 1st trip of season 4.

Jack
Just to be clear. The failures looked like this

Not Run Low Flex failure like this

or this