Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
New Tater

We have now spent a total of two nights in our '11 25' FC. Only a few relatively minor issues that we will need to get fixed once we can get in touch with someone after the holidays. One is the Micro-Pulse system worked the first night and hasn't worked since. We have a leak from the HW line under the sink. Small leak from the PEX tubing either the tubing, connections, or elbow. Can't tell for sure which but it's from that line. Two rivets are missing from the LP cover. Probably not in too tight would be a guess. A rivet fell out of the inner panel over the cabinets. And, for some unknown reason, the drawer beside the entry door will not stay closed while the trailer is moving. I hope to get these handled next week and would rather do the repairs myself if the parts can be sent to me. The closest dealer is an hour and half away and I believe I would be more certain the repair was made completely then they would. Previous experience with another dealer convinced me if I can do it myself, it will be done completely.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Hi Tater and welcome to the group. Little things will always pop up with any brand of RV and I agree with you I would rather fix it myself than have someone else do it if at all possible. Pex and rivets are easy if you can get room to work. Not sure about the Micro-pulse system.
We are headed to Turtle Cove RV resort in Homosassa this weekend to bring in the new year. Really glad the weather has warmed up! Come to see us if you can!
Joe
Old 12-31-2010, 07:57 AM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Congrats! I love the name and have fun with the XL Tater!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Have fun in Homosassa.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Hopefully A/S will give me a return call Monday and I'll give the repairs a go. The door needs a little adjusting as well but I can attend to that when we return home Monday.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Just a Suggestion

I have never been able to get Jackson Center to mail me any parts to me. They have always insisted on sending the parts, no matter how minor, directly to the dealer.

Maybe you will have better luck.

If you do end up taking the trailer to the dealer I would not leave it with them, but stay while the work is being done.

...and when you are there keep an eye on what they are doing.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
Congratulations on your new trailer. My Micropulse system has never worked properly; I personally believe it is a "cheap" piece of hardware. A couple of rivets above the sink on my trailer also popped out when I first purchased. After I repaired them, I've had no more trouble.
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
I have never been able to get Jackson Center to mail me any parts to me. They have always insisted on sending the parts, no matter how minor, directly to the dealer.

Maybe you will have better luck.

If you do end up taking the trailer to the dealer I would not leave it with them, but stay while the work is being done.

...and when you are there keep an eye on what they are doing.
I'm betting they will require me to take it to a dealer. I'll try a different dealer this time. The other A/S was taken back to the selling dealer outside Tampa and they told me the parts were in and I finally had to call Jackson Center at the dealers request to get the parts after the trailer was there three weeks. I'll try one outside Gainesville if I have to take it to a dealer this time.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylesgl View Post
Congratulations on your new trailer. My Micropulse system has never worked properly; I personally believe it is a "cheap" piece of hardware. A couple of rivets above the sink on my trailer also popped out when I first purchased. After I repaired them, I've had no more trouble.
Did you use regular aluminum rivets or get factory rivets? did they go in with a regular rivet gun. If I have to take it to a dealer, I'll have them fix, but there may be more. Micro Pulse is dead as a doornail right now. Worked for one night though.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Tater, for interior rivets, get a small bag of 1/8" aluminum pop rivets and one of these. Make sure it has the swivel head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	klik fast.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	118588  
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Congratulations! We got ours in August. I too have noticed some small issues and our door needs adjustment as well.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Tater...Here's the Micro Pulse manual link...

http://www.catconproducts.com/manual...itorManual.PDF

Do you think it has to be re-calibrated?

Just a thought...we 'vintage' owners are still using 'dip-sticks'...
Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Tater...Here's the Micro Pulse manual link...

http://www.catconproducts.com/manual...itorManual.PDF

Do you think it has to be re-calibrated?

Just a thought...we 'vintage' owners are still using 'dip-sticks'...
One thing for sure, the dip sticks don't fail. LOL. According to A/S they haven't seen a Micro Pulse go out like that. I have to take it to a dealer. I had called Micropulse and never received a call back.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
The Flying Cloud is at JD Sanders in Gainesville for repairing the warranty items. It's been there for ten days so I'm expecting it should be ready for pick up next week. The microwave took forever (7 plus minutes) to partially pop some pop corn. I asked them to look at it as well but haven't heard anything from them.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
... The microwave took forever (7 plus minutes) to partially pop some pop corn. I asked them to look at it as well but haven't heard anything from them.
Hi Tater,

A couple of questions. What kind of microwave is it? I recently bought a Sharp R-820BK Convection Microwave. They were used in many newer RVs. The instructions say to place popcorn on an inverted pie plate for popping. Have you tried that?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi Tater,

A couple of questions. What kind of microwave is it? I recently bought a Sharp R-820BK Convection Microwave. They were used in many newer RVs. The instructions say to place popcorn on an inverted pie plate for popping. Have you tried that?
As I recall, it is a Sharp. Don't know the model number off the top of my head as the unit is still in Gainesville. I did not try an inverted pie plate so will need to search for the directions when we get the unit back. I have most of them at home but for some reason not one for the microwave.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
As I recall, it is a Sharp. Don't know the model number off the top of my head as the unit is still in Gainesville. I did not try an inverted pie plate so will need to search for the directions when we get the unit back. I have most of them at home but for some reason not one for the microwave.
I have attached a pdf of the manual for mine. It's not as obvious a I recalled. The only reference in the manual is on page 7 of the pdf (page 5 of the printed manual). The page has "ABOUT UTENSILS AND COVERINGS" (the all caps are in the manual) at the top. Line five, "Glass, heat-resistant" in the "Microwave Only" column has "Yes Excellent. Overturned pie plate necessary for popcorn popping." (Emphasis mine)

This is the only place in the manual that mentions using the overturned pie plate. It's not mentioned in the "POPCORN" section of "SPECIAL FEATURES" on pdf page 16 (manual page 14) or in any of the other references to popcorn. I was aware of it before I purchased mine. Probably fr8shaker told me. She has the same one built in to her 2006 34' Limited. I bought mine after seeing hers and hearing how pleased with is she is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sharp_R820B_Microwave_Manual.pdf (909.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Thanks. That may solve the problem.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Picked Tater up from the service center in Alachua and hopefully everything is repaired. Airstream was gracious to send a new microwave and it works perfectly. We did use it with the glass pie plate so that may have been it but anyway it works. The leak under the sink was caused by an apparent faulty connection although that was the first thing I check but they said that is what it was. The Micro Pulse issue was supposedly caused by metal shavings on one of the sensors. I didn't get to talk to the tech because "he is busy" and my inquiries were answered only by the service writer. If I have one complaint about the Airstream experience having bought two in the last four years, it is that you believe you are buying a Lexus and the dealer's believe they sold you a Kia. Not that there is anything wrong with a Kia just price wise there is a huge difference and the dealer certainly doesn't make you feel that you have purchased or have serviced a premium travel trailer.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
First trip camping since the repairs. Mysteriously, the shower handle was cracked and I replaced it at the campground. The sink still has a leak so J. D. Sanders tightening it up didn't fix the leak. The microwave works perfectly and the rivets they replaced are still in so I guess 75% is a C but not something to be proud of as an average. My plan now is to stay after the sink leak and figure it out myself even if I have to replace the sink and plumbing. Taking the Airstream to a dealer to repeat the same repairs is frustrating to say the least. Had a similar experience with the previous (2008) Safari Sport and shower leak so I ended up fixing it myself. Had water drip on the floor after the heat pump was on and the fan ran during the night. We weren't sure what that deal was and a call to Dometic didn't yield any ideas. It only did it one time and I'm hoping it was condensation but that doesn't seem right. With A/C on the water appears to drain well to the ground so I don't think it was a moisture build up. The sink leak is the most immediate issue and I'll try to figure out how to get the Dometic A/C cover off so I can check the inside for potential leak areas. It did rain the day before so we'll try to figure that one out as well.