Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
... The microwave took forever (7 plus minutes) to partially pop some pop corn. I asked them to look at it as well but haven't heard anything from them.
Hi Tater,

A couple of questions. What kind of microwave is it? I recently bought a Sharp R-820BK Convection Microwave. They were used in many newer RVs. The instructions say to place popcorn on an inverted pie plate for popping. Have you tried that?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi Tater,

A couple of questions. What kind of microwave is it? I recently bought a Sharp R-820BK Convection Microwave. They were used in many newer RVs. The instructions say to place popcorn on an inverted pie plate for popping. Have you tried that?
As I recall, it is a Sharp. Don't know the model number off the top of my head as the unit is still in Gainesville. I did not try an inverted pie plate so will need to search for the directions when we get the unit back. I have most of them at home but for some reason not one for the microwave.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
As I recall, it is a Sharp. Don't know the model number off the top of my head as the unit is still in Gainesville. I did not try an inverted pie plate so will need to search for the directions when we get the unit back. I have most of them at home but for some reason not one for the microwave.
I have attached a pdf of the manual for mine. It's not as obvious a I recalled. The only reference in the manual is on page 7 of the pdf (page 5 of the printed manual). The page has "ABOUT UTENSILS AND COVERINGS" (the all caps are in the manual) at the top. Line five, "Glass, heat-resistant" in the "Microwave Only" column has "Yes Excellent. Overturned pie plate necessary for popcorn popping." (Emphasis mine)

This is the only place in the manual that mentions using the overturned pie plate. It's not mentioned in the "POPCORN" section of "SPECIAL FEATURES" on pdf page 16 (manual page 14) or in any of the other references to popcorn. I was aware of it before I purchased mine. Probably fr8shaker told me. She has the same one built in to her 2006 34' Limited. I bought mine after seeing hers and hearing how pleased with is she is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sharp_R820B_Microwave_Manual.pdf (909.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Thanks. That may solve the problem.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Picked Tater up from the service center in Alachua and hopefully everything is repaired. Airstream was gracious to send a new microwave and it works perfectly. We did use it with the glass pie plate so that may have been it but anyway it works. The leak under the sink was caused by an apparent faulty connection although that was the first thing I check but they said that is what it was. The Micro Pulse issue was supposedly caused by metal shavings on one of the sensors. I didn't get to talk to the tech because "he is busy" and my inquiries were answered only by the service writer. If I have one complaint about the Airstream experience having bought two in the last four years, it is that you believe you are buying a Lexus and the dealer's believe they sold you a Kia. Not that there is anything wrong with a Kia just price wise there is a huge difference and the dealer certainly doesn't make you feel that you have purchased or have serviced a premium travel trailer.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
First trip camping since the repairs. Mysteriously, the shower handle was cracked and I replaced it at the campground. The sink still has a leak so J. D. Sanders tightening it up didn't fix the leak. The microwave works perfectly and the rivets they replaced are still in so I guess 75% is a C but not something to be proud of as an average. My plan now is to stay after the sink leak and figure it out myself even if I have to replace the sink and plumbing. Taking the Airstream to a dealer to repeat the same repairs is frustrating to say the least. Had a similar experience with the previous (2008) Safari Sport and shower leak so I ended up fixing it myself. Had water drip on the floor after the heat pump was on and the fan ran during the night. We weren't sure what that deal was and a call to Dometic didn't yield any ideas. It only did it one time and I'm hoping it was condensation but that doesn't seem right. With A/C on the water appears to drain well to the ground so I don't think it was a moisture build up. The sink leak is the most immediate issue and I'll try to figure out how to get the Dometic A/C cover off so I can check the inside for potential leak areas. It did rain the day before so we'll try to figure that one out as well.