Old 12-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Smile New Flyingcloud 28

We have had a Winnebago class A Vista 27n for two years and it has been one thing going wrong after another. The last straw was our most recent trip to Florida from Ohio when one of our slideouts refused to come back in potentially stranding us after an overnight stay in South Carolina. I finally got it back in and after getting to Sanlan RV Park in Lakeland Florida, we went over to RV One in Tampa and traded the beast in on a new AS FC28. It's still down there being prepped and we drove home in our new F150 which the dealer assured us was more than adequate to tow our new AS. The truck has the heavy duty tow package and is rated well above the weight ratings for the AS.

Many years ago I had a Trail Manor collapsible trailer which I got rid of when setting it up and taking it down became too much of a hassle. So I'm not altogether naive when i comes to travel trailers. But this is a much larger unit and I have a few questions.

i have three sets of Lynx levelers and I guess that should be adequate for most campsites. Just wondering how many of the squares can fit between the axles. Also wondering if I should get the X chocks I've seen many people recommending.

I bought two Honda generators, the 2000i and the 2000 companion with the parallel kit. I have two dogs, one of which is a Siberian Husky who doesn't do well w/o AC in hot weather. I can also use the generator(s) in my barn which has lost electric power and it would cost a fortune to rerun a line from my house which is a good distance away.

When I traded in the Winnebago, I put all the contents into large bins from Walmart and since we had to head home, we just left the bins on the floor of the AS. It would have taken too long to try and find storage space for all the stuff, and i'm sure we were spoiled by all the space in the Winnie. I think when we get everything sorted out, we'll be making a trip to Goodwill to donate a lot of unnecessary stuff.

We will be going down to Tampa Jan 9 to pick up our unit so wish me luck. I'm losing sleep going over various scenarios in my mind such as backing, leveling, etc.

Richard

Old 12-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the new trailer.

Hey, the learning curve can be fun and I am sure you are in for a blast. Since you are a "thinker" you shouldn't have a lot of trouble. As far as backing, take the new trailer to a big parking lot and practice there.

I have an older 25FB and have two sets of levelers and that has worked for me nicely. I think I can get one leveler in between the tires. I have hardly ever had to use more than two to get things level. When I am heading out to boondock I carry a couple 4' 2 by 10 planks just in case I need more.

I had a small trailer with a slide out and I don't miss all the hassle it came with. You will figure out the smaller space soon enough. We all carry more stuff than we really need so getting rid of some of it isn't a bad thing.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hey, be CAREFUL for about the first 2-3 weeks - after that you will have adjusted to all of his/her quirks and differences. Have confidence in your abilities but remember to swing wider in curves and watch out for low hanging limbs. When backing into a parking space always check for obstructions - like at tree stump, shopping cart or something else that's not apparent and if you don't have someone spotting for you GET OUT AND LOOK to see how much clearance you have. (A wireless backup cameral for the trailer isn't a bad investment either.)

You MAY have a few issues with the new unit, but you live in OHIO, not too far from Jackson Center - so any warranty issues can be taken care of at the factory itself.

ENJOY your new rig. There's a nice WBCCI unit in NW Ohio which is open to anyone anywhere in the USA - very informal and free wheeling - no parking Nazi's or badge police - I may very well join it myself after I retire in 2016.

Paula
Old 12-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Don't sweat the details. You'll be fine. Find a large parking lot to practice backing. Leveling is easy on a trailer. You are probably used to hydraulic jacks on the Winnebago but you can get Lynx lego-like blocks or a couple of Anderson leveling blocks to level side to side, the tongue jack takes care of the end to end leveling.

Just make sure the hitch and brake controller is set up correctly with your tow vehicle.

You'll be fine. Be safe on the drive back to Ohio. Don't tow in any ice/snow.

Post any questions. We are all here to help.

Kelvin
Old 12-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Welcome to the Airstream community! While there will inevitably be some that offer advice that you got the wrong truck, bought from the wrong dealer, etc, enjoy your rig going forward. There are many, many people towing with F150's so don't second guess that decision.

It appears you live in Ohio, which as I'm sure you know is where Airstream is located and they have a wonderful factory service center. I would strongly encourage you to not bother having RV One attempt to fix anything you might find at delivery (other than stuff that affects roadworthiness) and just take it to Jackson Center to let the factory deal with any warranty issues when you get it home.

Enjoy and we will be glad to help with questions

Oh, and 3 bags of Lynx blocks is one more than I've ever needed in 11 years.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I always overthink everything

Richard
Old 12-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Congrats on your new purchase & welcome to the forum. Since July & over 3000 miles I've used my lynx levelers only once & find them easy to work with. The XChocks I've had from a previous trailer & find them helpful but less than perfect. I took delivery of my Airstream from Tampa RV (although purchased through their online devision) & they did a great job in the prep and during the walk through took their time explaining everything & how all the systems worked. That particular day it was raining heavy but the trailer was under cover so we only got a little damp. They even installed & set up my equalizer WD hitch at no charge.
I strongly suggest you google Airstream You Tube videos for some tips on everything airstream. Especially helpful was the one regarding set up & take down of the Zip Dee awning as that shows the process that must be followed. LoLoHo [long long honeymoon] is a series where a full timing couple explain much. Enjoy your Airstream and spend a couple nights in the area to be sure everything is functions properly. Lazydays RV Park is less than 5 miles away off I-4.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Wow, congratulations! You are going to have a blast. Seems like others have answered your questions so I'm just chiming in with a "welcome" and have fun!
Old 12-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Congrats on your new purchase & welcome to the forum. Since July & over 3000 miles I've used my lynx levelers only once & find them easy to work with. The XChocks I've had from a previous trailer & find them helpful but less than perfect. I took delivery of my Airstream from Tampa RV (although purchased through their online devision) & they did a great job in the prep and during the walk through took their time explaining everything & how all the systems worked. That particular day it was raining heavy but the trailer was under cover so we only got a little damp. They even installed & set up my equalizer WD hitch at no charge.
I strongly suggest you google Airstream You Tube videos for some tips on everything airstream. Especially helpful was the one regarding set up & take down of the Zip Dee awning as that shows the process that must be followed. LoLoHo [long long honeymoon] is a series where a full timing couple explain much. Enjoy your Airstream and spend a couple nights in the area to be sure everything is functions properly. Lazydays RV Park is less than 5 miles away off I-4.
Thanks. They did a great walk through, but charged me for setting up the hitch Unfortunately, Lazydays is booked but I have a reservation at Sanlan in Lakeland which is a little further away but not too bad.

I appreciate the suggestions about using a parking lot to practice backing but it will be a trial by fire since I go directly from Tampa RV to Sanlan and I don't think I'll stop in a parking lot along the way.

Richard
Old 12-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
As others have said welcome to the Airstream community. You will do fantastic with the new 28FC. We changed to the 28 after owning a 25FC as we found the layout better for our use. We travel with a couple of dogs and have plenty of room. After some uses, you will set things up and find what's really needed and what is not really needed. We have traveled throughout the country and into Canada and find we have plenty of space. You kind of become minimalists, or at least efficient in your packing.

We pull with a 2015 F150 Platinum EcoBoost and have had no issues. Key is to get the hitch properly set up. We ended up changing from an equalizer hitch to the ProPride hitch as I didn't like the feel of the equalizer when I went to the 28 from the 25. That's just my thought as both are fantastic hitches. Agree with the others. There more than likely will be some misc items that need addressing like any other RV around. If your handy, the stews that come loose etc can all be fixed quickly. A little glue on them does wonders in keeping them in place. I went through the entire trailer after I picked it up and put a dab on each door/cabinet hatch screws and have had zero come out.

Enjoy your travels. A wealth of information is on the Forum. Read, enjoy and learn.

Chuck
Old 12-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Why not head south a little early and drop by the Canopener Rally in Santa Rosa Beach? Plenty of cabins available through ReserveAmerica. You will meet a lot of great people and can talk Airstream until you are sick!