Old 05-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Moab , Utah
New Airstream issues

Has anyone else who has purchased a new airstream had issues with drawers, moldings, smart fans, shower gaskets etc.. They don't make them like they use to. We had a 1986 which was in great shape and didn't seem to have to many issues but our new 2014 is falling apart already. We haven't even had it for 1 year. We live in a remote area and so we had to drive it over 250 miles to take it to the nearest dealer to have the warranty work done on it.

DKBoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Mine is not what I expected, but I still wouldn't have anything else.

AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
A plus of buying used is that someone else has to deal with all the shabby GC issues. Only problems I have are normal wear and tear of a 9 year old trailer.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
"they all do that"... but, the good news is YOU can fix it! And hand it off to your kids... not so with an SOB... Our 1999 was showing it's age.. but we fix and move on...
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
AS seems to be resting on their laurels. Quality, quality craftsmanship, and quality control seem to be lacking of late. That's why I'm refurbing a '74 vs purchasing new. Reading all the issues on brand new trailers, for what they cost is deplorable.
Probably wouldn't trade AS for SOB, but as much as I'd love to, not likely to buy a new one.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We purchased two new Airstreams in recent years with very few problems with either, the 2012 FC was a nicer build with a little better hardware than the 2007.

We've got several cross-country trips and a total of some 24 months living in the 2012 and it's all very solid, close to new condition. We do regular inspections, check for leaks, and treat for corrosion prevention to ensure everything is in good condition.

There are Airstream repair shop owners on this forum (and our Airstream Owners Manual) who advise against heavily sprung tow vehicles and too-rigid weight distribution hitches roughing up the Airstream. Another concern is out of balance trailer running gear. These may be a contributing cause.
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We've had a significant number of minor issues with our 2014 International Signature 27FB since we bought it on the last day of November 2013. Each was annoying in its own way, but none would have prevented us from actually camping in Rocinante.

We typically build up a punch list until we can't stand it any more or won't be using the trailer for a while and then schedule a visit to our dealer for warranty work.

There's hope - our punch list gets shorter each time even as the time between repair visits gets longer. On our recent 8-week x-country trip we had only three truly minor items to resolve: a popped internal rivet, a failed shower fan, and a loose ceiling light.

That said, we live less than 30 minutes from our dealer, which has made all the difference. The primary impact is that we've been there more often, and our list each time is relatively short. They pretty much know us by name.

To be completely fair, if we had a 250 mile trip each way to our dealer, that level of inconvenience for each repair visit would have left us considerably more disappointed.

Is there a nice campground anywhere near, or conveniently on the way, to your dealer? If so, perhaps you could camp there the night before dropping off for service and then for a night afterward to verify that everything has been resolved to your satisfaction. This might make the trip more pleasant.
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Moab , Utah

Good plan however we have limited time to do the camping both ways as we own a B&B and vacation homes in Moab that keeps us quite busy. However that should be changing soon. We just hired a new Innkeeper to help out
Old 05-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
So Utah , USA
Airstream Quality

I have a 2004 Safari purchased new. From early on I've experienced problems large and small (too many to list here). Considering the price tag of AS trailers the company could and should do much better. The unfortunate thing is, AS travel trailers are about as good as it gets in travel trailers.

Hey Airstream execs, do you care about your product and customers?
camarobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I wholeheartedly agree. Airstream is as good as it gets in the travel trailer realm or, for that matter, the entire RV world.

We have had a 2005 Safari 25FB that we purchased new. It had a boatload of minor issues that we had handled at Jackson Center. We kept that Airstream for eight years, towed her 120,000 miles, and spent over 1,300 nights in her.

We traded the '05 on a one year old 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB. We kept this Airstream for almost a year. We towed her 15,000 miles, and spent 150 nights in her. This Airstream had almost no issues, and none that had anything to do with quality control at the factory. This can probably be attributed to the original owner having the minor quality control issues taken care already.

We decided that we really wanted to go back to a 25, and in October of 2014, we traded the 23FB on a brand new 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB. We used this Airstream for six months. We spent 60 nights in her, and towed her 6,000 miles. During that time, we compiled a list of 21 items to addressed under warranty at the Factory Service Center. All but one of the items were minor. The one significant issue had to do with blocked air flow on some of the air conditioning vents. We took her to the Factory last week, and all of these items were corrected during one and one half days in the shop. A new rear awning was also installed during this period.

The 2015 did not have any more, and probably less, quality control issues that the 2005 did. If anything, Airstream has gotten better, not worse, in the quality control area in recent years.

All-in-all, our Airstream travel experience over the past ten years has been excellent. I can not imagine any other RV of any brand or type providing us with this much use with as few problems.

Each time we replaced our Airstreams we did a lot of research, shopping, and soul searching. Each time, we decided to go with another Airstream Travel Trailer.

We are in the heavy use category. We have towed our Airstreams 140,000 miles and spent over 1,500 nights in them over the last nine and a half years. We don't believe that there is another brand of travel trailer that could give that kind of service with as few problems and issues.

Do Airstreams have quality control issues? Sure. Is there a better travel trailer out there? Probably not.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Interesting thing is that if you read SOB forums you find the same complaints and issues. Airstream has not cornered the market on QC problems. Crappy build quality is out of control in most all manufacturing for many reasons.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Very well said Brian!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Moab , Utah
I agree that there is not a better trailer out there I am just saying that there is a QC issue especially with the drawers. One trip and 2 drawers broke. My older Airstreams drawers seem to have been better built. The corporate office agreed and sent me all new drawers to be installed and also stated that they were rethinking the design. I am just asking if anyone else has had to replace all of the drawers and hardware along with other issues we have encountered in buying a brand new Airstream. Thank you for being kind in your response.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
DK - sorry for your experience and glad they're sending new drawers. Did the bday why they're rethinking the design?

We bought a new 2012 a few years ago and honestly, we've had very few quality issues (enough that we've had some warranty work done but nothing like the things some report here). We've been ecstatically happy with out trailer and continue to feel that way today.

Good luck and happy camping everyone!

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote