Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbp View Post
I have a 2014 FC25 FB. Love it but my issue is with the Hinges on the storage compartment below the twin beds. There are large trays in each to place stuff in. When your removing these trays its really very easy to hit the hinge release and the hinge pops off and door comes off. I came up with a fix. I placed a strip of wood behind each hinge that blocks the tray from hitting the hinge release. Oh well seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
Great idea! I'll be doing that to New Lucy.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #22
Gypsy Travelers

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We recently bought our new 2015 30 ft Flying Cloud and have had it now for just two months as of tomorrow (I know not enough time to really chime in). We used to be owners of another brand that never had any issues, but there is no way we would trade our Airstream for any other trailer.
We had a couple of minor issues on the new trailer; small leak (drops) under our kitchen sink where our water filter is, but that was a quick fix and once we had a tiny leak behind the toilet where we just needed to tighten the fitting- no big deal. Although it's only a short time, we have been out just about every weekend and part of some of those weekdays too. I know we have a lot of time ahead of us to really see how she does, but I have every confidence that it will be ok. I had same worries, gee I paid good money for my dream, but I want it to be perfect and last forever and I don't want those kind of surprises!. BUT, well see...we are trying to keep in mind that this our second home, and it will get wear and tear, and we just need to keep moving when it does.
Good Luck with your trailer!
Deanna Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Cheryl... I am very new to WD systems and have a couple of questions...

1) Is a 3/4 ton Sierra Denali too "heavily sprung" for a new 30' International?
2) is it easier on the Airstream to have little-to-no WD applied? (I don't think we would need much, if any, WD when pulling the 30' Intl. with the 3/4 ton Sierra.)
We were able to soften the ride of our truck and Airstream by switching to a w.d. hitch with more flexible tapered w.d. bars, moving much of the interior weight in the front of our Airstream toward the center (not the rear where it may amplify sway), and moving all weight loaded in the truck bed to forward of the truck's rear axle (truck bed weight behind the truck's rear axle should be added to the trailer hitch weight when determining size of w.d. bars because the w.d. system must lift both to transfer weight). The result was less tension needed and more flexibility of the w.d. bars.

Setting a heavy trailer on the truck hitch receiver, especially if the truck bed has additional load, will lift weight from the steering axle to some degree and possibly reduce braking and steering control. More so when the roads are slippery, we've had that happen with an inadequate w.d. hitch.

The heavier the truck's suspension, the longer the wheelbase, the more tension needed and difficulty to transfer hitch weight.

Most w.d. hitches also provide sway control or friction sway bars can be added. There are a couple of very expensive hitch designs that eliminate sway.

We went through a few hitches and experimented with w.d. before finding an adequate, relatively smooth setup. Search weight distribution for good sites on proper setup. Probably good to take advice on various forums with a grain of salt, including mine. Learn what will work for you.
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Great idea! I'll be doing that to New Lucy.

Brian

duct tape! all of you do carry a roll don't you???

gt
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
We were able to soften the ride of our truck and Airstream by switching to a w.d. hitch with more flexible tapered w.d. bars, moving much of the interior weight in the front of our Airstream toward the center (not the rear where it may amplify sway), and moving all weight loaded in the truck bed to forward of the truck's rear axle (truck bed weight behind the truck's rear axle should be added to the trailer hitch weight when determining size of w.d. bars because the w.d. system must lift both to transfer weight). The result was less tension needed and more flexibility of the w.d. bars.

Setting a heavy trailer on the truck hitch receiver, especially if the truck bed has additional load, will lift weight from the steering axle to some degree and possibly reduce braking and steering control. More so when the roads are slippery, we've had that happen with an inadequate w.d. hitch.

The heavier the truck's suspension, the longer the wheelbase, the more tension needed and difficulty to transfer hitch weight.

Most w.d. hitches also provide sway control or friction sway bars can be added. There are a couple of very expensive hitch designs that eliminate sway.

We went through a few hitches and experimented with w.d. before finding an adequate, relatively smooth setup. Search weight distribution for good sites on proper setup. Probably good to take advice on various forums with a grain of salt, including mine. Learn what will work for you.
Thanks for the comments... sheesh... this gets really complex very quickly for someone who has never pulled a trailer before. (5th wheels and motorhome experience only).
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Two out of three of our new AS have had issues ... self-repaired all problem areas with factory support on parts. There is nothing else to consider except AS if you want long term longevity ... it seems most others shake apart in 5-7 years.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
We have a 2015 International Serenity that we picked up last September.

We have already put about 5000+ miles on it, and have used it a fair amount. We live at 8000 feet and the Airstream was covered with about 3 feet of snow for a few months.

So far, no issues. No leaks detected. No molding or drawer issues. We couldn't be happier. The only thing to have happen was a rock flew up and put a pit in our window guard. However that is not an Airstream problem but a poor road condition problem.

I am very pleased with the quality of my Airstream and hope to use it a lot this year.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Cheryl... I am very new to WD systems and have a couple of questions...

1) Is a 3/4 ton Sierra Denali too "heavily sprung" for a new 30' International?
2) is it easier on the Airstream to have little-to-no WD applied? (I don't think we would need much, if any, WD when pulling the 30' Intl. with the 3/4 ton Sierra.)

i now tow a 25'FB with a F350. i am using a blue ox hitch. 7 links is not enough, 9 links are too many. 'heavily sprung' is hardly the issue here. the real issue is setting up your WD hitch properly. you can experiment around a bit without damaging things and you to will learn which link set you need to use all the time with your setup. if the front end of the truck seems too light, not enough links. if the entire setup feels quite heavy and jerky out back, too many links. this is not rocket science, just give it a shot.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #29

Moab , Utah
They didn't say why they are rebuilding them other than they have had a lot of new owners complaining. I'm just glad they are taking care of it and we can go camping soon. Just waiting on the repairs to be completed.

Thanks for your input .

Happy Camping!!
DKBoger is offline   Reply With Quote