Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
We went with a 2011 v 2013 on a 23FB.
We did have a issue with the running lights causing the corrosion, but two guys from Johnson City came out and swapped out all the light bases. Very good customer service in my opinion.
I had no interest in going bigger to a 25'. We love the way the 23FB is set up. However, there are just the two of us. I would think if you had company it would be crowded. We prefer easier towing and smaller size.
The 11 v the 13 is a $$ issue you'll have to decide. The savings were worth it as far as I am concerned. In 10 years, I'm not sure how much difference the values would be, but when we bought it was over $8,000. That was too much to ignore. The warranties would have been the same. Good luck with your purchase. You'll love your 23FB.
Jeff

Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
We traded in a 2011 for a 2012, for size upgrade. The electric water heater option is pretty nice, my wife appreciates not hearing about her about propane waste. Dimmer on the LED is also cool. I installed one on the 2011 but the factory install is better, no flickering. 2013 has that new cool table leg, I want one of those

Maybe consider which purchase has the potential of causing the least amount of regret. Reversing a bad decision is very costly, say like upgrading trailer size 1 year later

Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumFalcon View Post
We traded in a 2011 for a 2012, for size upgrade. The electric water heater option is pretty nice, my wife appreciates not hearing about her about propane waste. Dimmer on the LED is also cool. I installed one on the 2011 but the factory install is better, no flickering. 2013 has that new cool table leg, I want one of those

Maybe consider which purchase has the potential of causing the least amount of regret. Reversing a bad decision is very costly, say like upgrading trailer size 1 year later
Hmmm, that pretty much describes us, and I would agree.

John S.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
We finally made the drive to see the new Fly Cloud 2011 23FB. That dealer is about 2 1/2 hours away. I did see the lack of gaskets around the lights. I was a little concerned about the overall quality based on two little things. 1.) the refrigerator door rubbed against the dinette seat cushion when it is openned. The fabric is already looking a little worn where it is rubbing. 2.) The bathroom door rubs against one of the ceiling speakers when it is open. These things are minor, but obvious, so I wonder what is hidden. One post mentioned that the quality increased in two years. We haven't looked at the 2013 yet as that dealer is 3 1/2 hrs away. Have other 2011 owners had these problems, or was this just a bad day at the factory? If not, do people think they were cleared up in the 2013 model?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdinnar View Post
We finally made the drive to see the new Fly Cloud 2011 23FB. That dealer is about 2 1/2 hours away. I did see the lack of gaskets around the lights. I was a little concerned about the overall quality based on two little things. 1.) the refrigerator door rubbed against the dinette seat cushion when it is openned. The fabric is already looking a little worn where it is rubbing. 2.) The bathroom door rubs against one of the ceiling speakers when it is open. These things are minor, but obvious, so I wonder what is hidden. One post mentioned that the quality increased in two years. We haven't looked at the 2013 yet as that dealer is 3 1/2 hrs away. Have other 2011 owners had these problems, or was this just a bad day at the factory? If not, do people think they were cleared up in the 2013 model?
Our 2011's refridge door when open all the way will hit the cushion. It hasn't worn the cushion. No probs with opening the bathroom door.
Our thermostat that shuts off the water heater is not working right, but that's not really a AS problem (IMHO.) We do have the dual hot water heater, elec & propane.
I think the toilet is different in the 13s. And someone mentioned a dimmer for the lights. If I'm not mistaken, the toilet might be ceramic. In case you didn't notice, the toilet is really elevated on a 23FB. It's up pretty high. Ok with me I'm 6'5"..
Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I am not familiar with the design changes you refer to, but I will add my comments regarding purchasing a two year old AS new. I also do not know what the situation is with the 2011 your are looking at - where it has been stored, etc. We bought our very first Airstream - RV for that matter - in early 2008. It was a 2006 International CCD 28' from a dealer about 600 miles from where we live. It was brand new, but had been sitting on the dealers lot for almost two years. Great price; great dealer to do business with and of course, the AS came with the full twenty four month warranty. It turned out that we needed every one of those twenty four months and then some. About anything that could go wrong with the trailer did. No problem in getting the issues resolved; I merely had to deliver the trailer the AS nearest dealer only 130 miles away. We spent a LOT of time traveling back and forth to point where we finally got AS to reimburse me the fuel expense. As newbies, what we never realized was that an trailer (even a new one) sitting outside and unused for two years may suffer from serious systems and body failures. The only good news was that the dealer and Airstream stood by the warranty anything and everything. Jack
Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Don't expect perfect from a new or almost new Airstream. Expect no huge repairs, but that you the end user are the final inspector. This not the way it should be, but industry standard.

My new sport had pinch small spots around the windows with wall insulation sticking out. A window that needed adjusting, a door that needed adjusting, a shower door catch that needed moved in order to work...
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #22
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
In our 2011 23FB Serenity, I have both the same issues. As a matter of fact the frig. door touching the cushion is good thing for us we do not have to hold it with stopper when returning from the trip and needs to leave the door open to avoid mildew. My leather seat cushion was not worn at all. As for the speaker touching the ceiling speaker I just put a small stick-on pad on the speaker.
We have been lucky with ours it has a few kink otherwise it worked great for 10,000 miles in 15 months. Make sure you get upward of 12% discount. Good luck
Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Ponder as you may, whatever you decide you will enjoy. We are on our 4th Airstream, none new but not vintage either.We have enjoyed EVERY Airstream we have had. I have no favorites, all are favorites for different reasons. If you are wanting perfect, there is no perfect Airstream, but they are darned good. If you are swayed by minor issues you will make yourself crazy, but if you can get past them, you will love your trailer and make wonderful memories with it. A dealer told me one time, when asked if it will ever leak, well, he said "it has 3200 holes in it, what do you think? " Airstreaming is a wonderful way to meet great people. Get past the little stuff, Enjoy.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Ponder as you may, whatever you decide you will enjoy. We are on our 4th Airstream, none new but not vintage either.We have enjoyed EVERY Airstream we have had. I have no favorites, all are favorites for different reasons. If you are wanting perfect, there is no perfect Airstream, but they are darned good. If you are swayed by minor issues you will make yourself crazy, but if you can get past them, you will love your trailer and make wonderful memories with it. A dealer told me one time, when asked if it will ever leak, well, he said "it has 3200 holes in it, what do you think? " Airstreaming is a wonderful way to meet great people. Get past the little stuff, Enjoy.
The best posting I have read on Air Forums.

doug k
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
the best posting i have read on air forums.

Doug k
+1!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Kate, great post, sums it up.

AirEgger
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Great post- I agree with Doug. It is all in having the right attitude. Thanks for the refreshing words.

Dan
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
Today we made our decision! We bought a 2013 Flying Cloud 23FB from Colonial Airstream in NJ. Even though it's a full day drive, they had the one we wanted at a reasonable price. We'll pick it up sometime this month. I really appreciate all of the feedback on our posting. One of the big reasons we felt comfortable with this big decision was the great information and support that this site gives, including the positive reviews by members of our new dealer.
Thanks again.
Ken