Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Need TV Help for 2012 Model

We have a 2012 Flying Cloud with the blue ray player and the optional TV in the bedroom. Since the TV in the bedroom is listed on the Airstream sticker then I'm assuming it's from the factory. The bedroom TV has both a cable wire and an HDMI cable running to it. Since it has a HDMI cable you would think it's wired to my blue ray some how. My tv is not the kind with the built-in DVD slot.

I've gone through the blue ray menus and can't seen to find anything that leads me to believe that it's multi-room capable.

I did find a manual in my books for a Sony Aux-In Selector and that seems to be my answer. It shows a pic of a small box with all the inputs coming in and you choose where to send it. Exactly what I need to send my blue ray signal to my back tv BUT I can't find the box! I think I've looked everywhere.

Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have the 2012 25' B Flying Cloud (rear bed) but I would think the Blu ray works the same. You can use Blu ray on either tv or both, or watch blu ray on one and broadcast tv on the other.

With the bedroom tv remote control, select power, then source, then HDMI2 (front tv you would select HDMI1) and you should be good to go.

If you have the inverter option, be sure the Blu ray player (two plugs) and the tv's are plugged into the appropriate outlet for ac power. They will not run on dc (battery) power.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Also you can use the radio sound system to receive tv sound through the ceiling speakers, or turn the radio off to receive sound through the tv speakers.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
The source the TV is on is based on where the HDMI cable is plugged into. Shouldn't have anything to do with the controlling where the signal is coming from unless I'm very confused.

I'm going to open up the box the blue ray is in and try to figure it out.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Ronnie,

Not sure what you meant by "open up the box the blu ray is in". The Blu Ray player has only one HDMI output. There should be two incoming HDMI cables at the back of the player (one from each TV). Is there a 1x2 splitter behind the player? That is my understanding how Airstream hooks them up.

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
The blue ray is in a wooden black box. I opened it up and there is only one HDMI cable coming out. I dont have a splitter nor do I have a second HDMI cable floating around back there. Looks like a step was missed during construction.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I'm proud of myself right now. I managed to get into the panel behind the radio and amongst all those cables I found the HDMI splitter. And of course there was only one cable plugged in. There's my problem.

So after removing the radio head unit so I could see I dug around long enough until I found the other HDMi cable. Plugged it into the splitter and *poof* I have blue ray in the bedroom.

And the best part is that I managed to put the panel back together and everything still works.

So goodnight all. I'm going to pop open a celebratory beer and lay in bed and watch a movie!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Congratulations

Nice going!

Now you will have plenty of TV for the piney woods meetup :-)
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
The lack of QC at the factory is unbelievable. Plus I would expect the dealer who sold you the trailer to at least check that both televisions worked properly.

So where is the box with the blu ray on your 25fb?. I believe the rear bed models have the blu ray easily accessible in one of the front cabinets with the splitter along side (not hidden behind the radio). Can someone who has a 2012 rear bed model verify the splitter location.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
2008 16' International
Dunedin , Florida
I also need help with TV's in my 2011 27ft Flying Cloud. Bought used with no instructions on the TV set up. I am wintering in FL and have a Verizon cable box( so I can get the premium channels) connected to the front TV which is a Samsung (not HD). What do I need to do to do to get the bedroom TV to work? That TV is a Toshiba HD. I am getting basic cable where I am parked which I run into the trailer using the outside receptacle. Do I need a second HD cable box in order to run the back TV? I do not care if the reception is HD. I would like to get by with only one cable box if possible. Would the front TV which is not HD run on a HD cable box? Does this make sense to anyone?
Terratravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terratravels View Post
I also need help with TV's in my 2011 27ft Flying Cloud. Bought used with no instructions on the TV set up. I am wintering in FL and have a Verizon cable box( so I can get the premium channels) connected to the front TV which is a Samsung (not HD). What do I need to do to do to get the bedroom TV to work? That TV is a Toshiba HD. I am getting basic cable where I am parked which I run into the trailer using the outside receptacle. Do I need a second HD cable box in order to run the back TV? I do not care if the reception is HD. I would like to get by with only one cable box if possible. Would the front TV which is not HD run on a HD cable box? Does this make sense to anyone?
The way your trailer is wired is for the cable signal to go to both televisions. You have a cable box for the front one, which is after the "split" in the system. In order for the rear television to get the extra channels, you will need to remove the antenna cover plate, the one with the power switch for the tv antenna, and connect a splitter from the box, one 75 ohm cable to the front tv, the second will need to go in behind the antenna cover plate, connected with a barrel connector to the 75 ohm cable to the rear television.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr
The lack of QC at the factory is unbelievable. Plus I would expect the dealer who sold you the trailer to at least check that both televisions worked properly.

So where is the box with the blu ray on your 25fb?. I believe the rear bed models have the blu ray easily accessible in one of the front cabinets with the splitter along side (not hidden behind the radio). Can someone who has a 2012 rear bed model verify the splitter location.
I haven't seen any other layouts so I'm not sure if they're the same but this is mine. I removed the black panel around the blue ray and found nothing back there but the blue ray. The wires ran the left into the panel behind the head unit. So I pulled the top left panel where the plug is off to try and access back there. I had to undo the outlet to release the panel. But you can't see back there so I removed the head unit so j could see. After digging around amongst that rats nest of wiring with a flashlight in my mouth shining through the radio panel and my arm through the other panel I found the splitter. Dug around some more and found the missing HDMI cable.

Putting it all back together was a little bit of a chore but it's done.

That wasn't the only thing I fixed this trip that QC missed. The divider between the bathroom and the kitchen was broken when I bought it. The dealer caught it in their walk thru but didn't had time to get it in before my pickup. So they shipped to me for me to take to a local dealer to have it installed. But it seemed easy enough of a job so I brought it with me and knocked it out yesterday. Easy enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1867330594.png
Views:	221
Size:	763.7 KB
ID:	142855  
Old 10-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Factory QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This post is slightly off topic, but does relate to QC.

We purchased a used 2006 Classic. We are the third owner. We found that the ground cable on one of the two 12 volt batteries had never been connected to anything. One of the two batteries had been going along for the ride, through two previous owners, for several years without actually being used for anything.

The build sophistification for travel trailers does not compare to that currently in place for automobiles, major appliences, etc.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
It looks like the 2012 25' FB FC has the blu ray in an open cabinet next to the radio cavity on the left side. The 2012 25' rear bedroom FC is the same except the radio is on the right side.

I am now assuming AS wires the HDMI cable from each TV to the radio cavity. Then a cheap unpowered 1x2 splitter in the radio cavity is used to hookup the two TV HDMI cables and a short HDMI cable from the blu ray. How would one easily add more HDMI devices such as satellite DVR's to this arrangement?

A better setup is to use a dual port wall plate in the blu ray compartment like the Monoprice 7332 that has 4" cables which hopefully will reach the AS HDMI cables in the cavity. Then add in the blu ray compartment a Monoprice 5312 4x2 powered matrix switch (small device) to hook up things. For example, two Directv satellite HDDVR's with RF remotes can be stacked next to the blu ray. Now we have three HDMI inputs to feed the two HDMI tv's. Any combination is valid so the blu ray can feed both tv's or blu ray in the bedroom and football on satellite up front.

At your home would you expect a coax tv connection to be a RG6 wire poking out of the sheetrock or a wall plate with a coax fitting? HDMI should be terminated the same way and without using hidden splitters in cavities.

I guess we should be happy AS has finally discovered HDMI wiring and just add this to the long list of things needing improvement (cheap single stage converters is the poster child).
Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
The splitter is actually powered.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Ronnie,

Your picture show two things plugged in. Is the splitter power the fat thing? If so then the power wire is run into the cavity?

Barry
Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr
Ronnie,

Your picture show two things plugged in. Is the splitter power the fat thing? If so then the power wire is run into the cavity?

Barry
Yep. Thats the splitter and the blue ray plugged in. The splitter is the fat one.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post

We have 2012 rear bed. The splitter is not readily accessible. It is located inside a built-in box that houses the blu ray player, in the front right hand upper cabinet. This low voltage dc splitter is powered by a small converter that plugs into the same ac receptacle as the blu ray player. If you have the inverter option on the trailer, there is an additional ac receptacle powered by the optional inverter so the blu ray player can be used with the coach batteries.

doug k
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have 2012 rear bed. The splitter is not readily accessible. It is located inside a built-in box that houses the blu ray player, in the front right hand upper cabinet. This low voltage dc splitter is powered by a small converter that plugs into the same ac receptacle as the blu ray player. If you have the inverter option on the trailer, there is an additional ac receptacle powered by the optional inverter so the blu ray player can be used with the coach batteries.

doug k
That power adapter looks like a cell phone charger. It would probably be a good idea to unplug it from 120v when you're not planning on using it, to extend its life.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
I'm proud of myself right now. I managed to get into the panel behind the radio and amongst all those cables I found the HDMI splitter. And of course there was only one cable plugged in. There's my problem.

So after removing the radio head unit so I could see I dug around long enough until I found the other HDMi cable. Plugged it into the splitter and *poof* I have blue ray in the bedroom.

And the best part is that I managed to put the panel back together and everything still works.

So goodnight all. I'm going to pop open a celebratory beer and lay in bed and watch a movie!
Hi,
I have the same problem with my trailer. If you have time can you describe in detail what you had to do to get to where the HDMI and the
splitter was. If you had to take anything apart can you let us know how
you did that. Thank you,
GerryH is offline   Reply With Quote