Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Mystery fan.

We recently purchased a 2015 25’ Flying cloud. We love it but I need some help understanding why the fan under the fuse panel kicks on occasionally. We are plugged into shore power and not using the inverter. I am sure someone can explain because there are times the fan turns on briefly for an unknown reason. The pic shows the panel to access the fuses and the unknown vent.
Thanks for any assistance. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8685.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	350395
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
That is your converter which converts shore power to 12 volts. Almost everything in the trailer uses some amount of 12 volts. It also keeps your batteries charged. If it gets too warm due to high 12 volt use or high ambient temperature, the fan will turn on. It is normal for it to cycle on and off. If it is on all the time you have a problem that needs to be found and addressed. In my case it was a bad battery.

Congratulations on your acquisition and welcome!

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Not sure if ours is the same - mine originally came with a Magnatek converter (since replaced) and the manual says:

“CONVERTER COOLING SYSTEM
The 7300 electronic fan cooling system is the key to long life and trouble-free operation. The fan is never on more than required to cool electronic components in the converter. You may never hear the fan operate.”

I’ve heard mine. You’re hearing yours. It’s just a fan cooling the unit. If it’s on every second you’re camping that’s probably an issue. If it goes on occasionally, I wouldn’t worry about it.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The box is your CONVERTER. It converts alternating current (aka shore power) into direct current (12 volt for lights etc.) And charges your trailer batteries so that they can continue to give you DC for lights and running the furnace and refrigerator fans when you are not hooked up. There are fuses and circuit breakers in the converter. The converter runs a fan when it has a heavy load and heats up. My main breaker flipped three times in one day when the temp. Was 94 degrees and I was momentarily confused and worried until DUH! I looked and realized the bedspread was hanging almost to the floor and keeping the fan from cooling the breakers and the rest of the converter. Tucked up the bedspread, pointed a small fan right at the converter and after resetting the breaker, everything operated flawlessly. Do not block your converter and suck the dust out of the fins with a vacuum cleaner from time to time.

There is another device, probably under the other side of your bed called an INVERTER which turns 12 volt DC battery power into alternating current. Handy if you need to see a weather report on the television etc. Inverters are battery eating pigs, so it is bad to use them to try to run anything with a resistance element (electric toaster, frypan, iron, or especially your air conditioner). Airstream supplies a SMALL inverter, so when boondocking run the fantastic fans to cool your airatream, run a few LED lights, cook with propane, heat with propane heat your water with propane only.

To use your inverter on a stock Airstream you have to turn it on, and use only the outlets marked with a blue label that says "inverter circuit".

Learning about electricity in the Airstream will help you understand how to save big bucks on the home bill.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Thanks for the quick responses.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote