Old 07-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Microwave in cabinet

We are buying a 2012 25 ft Flying Cloud. It does not have a MW. Does anyone know if a .8 cubic foot will fit in the overhead cabinets? Thanks

Deb Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
No idea! Our 16' International doesn't have a microwave either and we don't miss it at all! Come to think of it, we don't have one at home! We opted for a convection oven 15 years ago and threw the microwave out, never looked back, of course Dorsey is quite a cook....

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by Deb Trimble View Post
We are buying a 2012 25 ft Flying Cloud. It does not have a MW. Does anyone know if a .8 cubic foot will fit in the overhead cabinets? Thanks
It will fit, but eventually cause the cabinet to fall. Another user already tried it. You might do an advanced search and find the thread. You can always carry one and stow it under the table when you're on the road. Plop the stove cover down and use the microwave when you need to.

I got rid of mine, just found I didn't use it all that much. Try going on two or three trips before you make up your mind. The low wattage of the small ones makes them more irritating than useful.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Another idea might be to use a lower cabinet, or like in my previous trailer, I had room inside a cabinet above the fridge and used it for a permanent place for a small microwave. Since the cabinet was underpinned by the fridge it didn't cause any problems with a cabinet coming loose from the wall. But I did fasten the micro to the cabinet so it could not move. The size I used was the smallest lightest one that Sharp company made at the time. I can't remember the model number as it's been a while.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Ours sits on the counter top ...
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
For 2012 Airstream introduced another 25' Airstream model (25A twin bed or 25B queen bed) with dinette/entrance door in front and bed in rear. This version has a rearranged kitchen with a built-in convection/microwave above the fridge, and retains the gas oven in the range. It also uses the same bath template as the 30' Airstream. You may want to take a look at that model. It's the one we have so can highly recommend it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I think over time you would have problems with the cabinet.
WE found we only used ours for a breadbox so we got rid of it
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We must be lucky. Have carried a microwave in the cabinet of our 1988 25' for 5 years and a lota miles, including dirt roads in Alaska. No problems. You do need to put a safety latch on the cabinet to keep the doors shut. We use one of the plastic ones from walmart that clips through the handles.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Try the closet, i think it will fit (turn the door around so it opens toward the kitchen).

Like Paula, I didn't find a microwave all that useful after a few trips (but we haven't done a long distance trip yet)
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Microwave (I added one to my 25FC FBR)

I installed a microwave in my new 2010 25 FC FBR. I cut an opening in the upper door above the stove vent, reinforced the upper cabinet with an aluminum square tube beneath it, built a tray, a diaphragm and used the door cut-out to fab a cabinet door for a cab I built to replace the curved cushion behind the left dinette seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream modification 002.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	168649   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream modification 003.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	168650  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream modification 006.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	168651  
budthehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Looks nice and good use of the excess materials.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For a while we put a medium sized microwave on the floor when we traveled and used it on the kitchen counter between the stove and the sink. That left little room to prepare food. Once we forgot to take it off the counter, but after 50+ miles it had only bounced about an inch toward the floor. That experience made me look harder for a solution.

So I saw that Moosetags had put a small cabinet just rear of the TV wall on the gaucho. I went to an unpainted furniture store and ordered a small, deep bookcase that would fit in that space. When I got it, I finished it, put a small piece of wood across the front of the shelf to keep the microwave from bouncing out and screwed the whole thing down after removing the cushion.

The top shelf has the microwave and the bottom one has a printer. There's enough space on the right side to store stuff that goes no where else and we put a magazine rack on the left side of the cabinet.

I also had looked for really small microwaves, but reviews on them were not good. Zappers are good for heating up coffee or tea, food, etc., but we survive without them while boondocking.

As a general rule, the less weight up high, the better to keep the center of gravity down. Heavy things are generally stored down low, light things up top.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I'd be reluctant to hang from upper cabinet

Without a lot of reinforcing, the upper cabinets can separate from the shell and cause bigger mess, unless they are ones resting on solid foundation of wooden structure.. The ones held to upper shell by sheet metal screws aren't likely to hold a heavy microwave for long...

We had one over fridge, and removed it for storage of pots, pans and serving items.. Bought a $50 art-deco silver model at local electronics warehouse, and it rides on floor near front when traveling, and on ledge next to dining table when parked.. Takes 30 seconds to set up or put down, though maybe longer in rear kitchen model.. (Rear of trailer bounces A LOT on road, so loose heavy objects are going to be a problem...)

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Microwave above stove vent

I agree with everyone's concerns about weight in an upper cabinet which is why I reinforced the upper cabinet as follows:
  • ran a 3/4 sq alum tube from the side wall to the end panel of the cab attaching each end firmly.
  • fabricated a diaphragm at the right side of the microwave attaching the microwave tray and lower cab panel to the framework of the body with rivits via clip angles
my microwave weight is carried mostly by the side wall and trailer frame.
After 15000 miles of towing it hasn't loosened at all that I can tell.
So far so good. I do watch it closely however due to the same concern others express.

budthehound is offline   Reply With Quote