2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Your work looks great!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
It looks factory done. Very good work. Those little microwaves don't weigh very much, I think you will be fine for many moons.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
One caveat is to make sure that you have ventilation to the install .... put a container of water into your microwave and then check for humidity leakage from the main chamber which is - theoretically - sealed ... also there is a need for ventilation to the electronics... As well, if you are height disadvantaged as is my wife, use caution (and a footstool) when accessing the upper l ocations as liquid can spill right down your front. YMMV
Old 09-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Any Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
For a while we put a medium sized microwave on the floor when we traveled and used it on the kitchen counter between the stove and the sink. That left little room to prepare food. Once we forgot to take it off the counter, but after 50+ miles it had only bounced about an inch toward the floor. That experience made me look harder for a solution.

So I saw that Moosetags had put a small cabinet just rear of the TV wall on the gaucho. I went to an unpainted furniture store and ordered a small, deep bookcase that would fit in that space. When I got it, I finished it, put a small piece of wood across the front of the shelf to keep the microwave from bouncing out and screwed the whole thing down after removing the cushion.

The top shelf has the microwave and the bottom one has a printer. There's enough space on the right side to store stuff that goes no where else and we put a magazine rack on the left side of the cabinet.

I also had looked for really small microwaves, but reviews on them were not good. Zappers are good for heating up coffee or tea, food, etc., but we survive without them while boondocking.

As a general rule, the less weight up high, the better to keep the center of gravity down. Heavy things are generally stored down low, light things up top.

Gene
Gene, Do you have a picture of your work?

Deb Trimble
Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Deb,

The trick is finding the cabinet that fits the space and having a printer and microwave that fit in it. We left the cushion for the back of the seat in place and had to stick a spare pillow under it to keep it even. I drilled 2 holes in the back of the cabinet with a hole saw for the wires. With two appliances and the TV, I needed a adapter for the receptacle for 3 plugs. Since I have a surge protector for the whole trailer, I didn't need a surge protector for that receptacle. I ran a USB cable (actually 2 plugged together) under the seat cushions to the rear wall and looped it around the table support to keep it off the floor and then can plug the printer into the laptop which is one the curbside of the table. A wireless printer wouldn't require that.

Here is the photo—

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	168998  
Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I see in the weekly specials at AdventureRV they have the Dometic RV/marine microwave for only $60. Not a bad deal if you need one.

Dometic Dorm RV Marine Microwave Oven 900W 1.1 cu. ft. Black - $5..
Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thanks for posting that link--looks like a great price.

I'm curious though, is there a real benefit to an "rv" microwave over one from lowes or Walmart, etc.?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Thanks for posting that link--looks like a great price.

I'm curious though, is there a real benefit to an "rv" microwave over one from lowes or Walmart, etc.?
I've seen microwaves sold for RV's that claim they will withstand the shock of trailer towing. We've had ours for almost 5 years and it works just as well as when we bought it. It came off the shelf in a Home Depot and was around $40 or $50. It even has a stainless front to match the trailer. Trailer sized ones are around 700 or 800 watts and not as quick as bigger ones in your home, but it still zaps. Microwaves are so cheap now that no one gets them fixed. Some stores have loss leader sales on them fairly frequently.

Gene
Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I agree with gene that the $50 models are essentially disposables, and seem to hold up pretty well for expected life of a few years.. One physical mishap (Ooops..) or 1 power surge that fires the electronics are usual end games.. The one microwave that is worth shopping and paying extra for might be combo Microwave and convection oven, which does work of multiple cooking duties.. Not cheap, and heavy, but offer options...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ours is almost 5 years old and still works fine. Considering how much bouncing it does over 40,000+ miles, that's pretty good. I checked into combination toaster over/microwaves at the time and none seemed to get good reviews.

Gene
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Until we got an AS with convection / microwave, a cheap Wally m-wave and a nifty toaster oven from ACE worked great (total cost ~$100) - especially with all of the galley space in the FC20 ... miss that.