Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
This video is what convinced me to use the Ultra Breeze covers on both of my trailers.
In addition to the full air flow, the Ultra Breeze cover is molded to match the lid on the Fantastic fan, so it does not strain the lift mechanism.

The install is easy. It took me about half hour.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Since I'm in the middle of my mid-life crisis I've decided to replace both my Fantastic Fans with MaxxAir Deluxe fans whose design has the rain cover built in. I never did like the looks of the covers you can put over roof vents and Fantastic Fans. AS is currently in the shop getting some work done and I add the vent replacement to the list. Both of these fans will have the remote option.

Kelvin
Old 09-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Kelvin- that's what I've done and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Since I'm in the middle of my mid-life crisis I've decided to replace both my Fantastic Fans with MaxxAir Deluxe fans whose design has the rain cover built in. I never did like the looks of the covers you can put over roof vents and Fantastic Fans. AS is currently in the shop getting some work done and I add the vent replacement to the list. Both of these fans will have the remote option.

Kelvin

That's what I have waiting in the wings! 3 of them!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Olympia , Washington
Welcome to Airstreaming and the forum.

Yes, you are correct. The factory does provide the “basic” vent and cover, However, adding a Maxxair roof vent cover enables one to leave any “basic” roof fan/vent open just a crack at all times – even while traveling down the highway at the speed allowed by ST tires. An open vent helps prevent condensation, provides fresh air for catalytic heaters, and a myriad of other benefits - in addition to shutting out the rain. I have used Maxxairs covers over two Fantasic Vents for years and would not be without them. Our Airstream has a white one in front to allow light, and a dark one in back bedroom to reduce light and summer heat. Well worth investment.

I use the Maxxair cover instead of Fantastic cover, as the latter were not in production when mine were installed. An additional feature of the Maxxair is it enables opening the vents further than the Fantastic covers and it provides a better enclosure in my estimation.

Happy travels, Jim
Sovereign85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #26
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
We've had success with Tekonsha Wireless Brake Controller

We're full timers and have been using Tekonsha's Wireless Brake Controller for almost three years pulling our 27FB Classic with no issues whatsoever. We like it because we didn't have to mount anything on the tow vehicles dashboard. My guess is that many of the 'wired' responses are from people who have never used a wireless brake controller. It would be nice if you could get a response from an Airstreamer that has used both. Also, initial setup is simple and only takes about 30 minutes.

Good Luck!
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGandMT View Post
Do you happen to have a photo of yours with the Fantastic Vent? I have seen the Maxx Air, but not these. They seem bigger. Thanks
Can't give you a distance shot, but here's front and rear angles. The Fantastic cover is not any wider than the Maxx Air, just taller so you can open the vent cover to it's max.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I had to look at our trailer... CamcoRV roof vent covers. A white plastic with vents and a screen so not to let in 'critters'. Apparently anyone can have vent covers made and put their private sticker on it. Ours took four brackets to attach to the original vent frame. Used them on the 2006 and currently on the 2014.

Have one of your Fantastic Vents blow off while camped. Have some duct tape to fill the hole.

- The vent cover does have a fine screen to prevent insects from getting into the trailer.

- If it is raining the Fantastic Vent sensor may close from some light spray detected.

- CamcoRV vent cover may not let the Fantastic Fan open all the way. Check that out with any brand you get. Otherwise you have to manually open to prevent breaking your FV lid.

- When traveling on dirt roads... do not leave it open. Just good advice or try leaving it open and tell us how much dust was sucked into your trailer.

I actually do not care how sleek or fashionable my vent covers look to others. They have to fit secure, let in some diffused light, the screen for insects and rabid bats, and in a high Wyoming wind... protected those flimsy Fantastic Fan lids.

They do eventually collect dust and lint from operating the fan. That is a bit of a negative, but if they were perfect... Airstream would install them on all their trailers, wouldn't they?