Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
Archie

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ridgeland , Mississippi
Mattresses

Have you purchased a custom/new mattress? Any suggestions on type of mattress and/or a quality vendor?
archiedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We bought ours from The Original Mattress Factory, one of the Temperpedic style ones. We like it so much we replaced the house one with the same thing too. Not a cheaper option but sleep is a necessary thing at our age! Besides we think it will last as long as we have the trailer....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

2012 30' Flying Cloud
PO , PNW
Archie,

I have 11 mattress stores, have been selling mattresses for over 20 years. If you want the best I recomend a latex mattress with a wool mattress pad, you will be warm in winter and cool in the summer. I try to sell everyone on latex, my entire family sleeps on them, it is expensive though. As to one brand over another I dont think it makes a diffrence if it's 100% natural latex. More economical would be pocked coil construction, again with a wool pad for moisture management. Shop around your area and find something you are comfortable on is the most important thing, and make sure the store makes them in rv sizes. That is 60x75 for a queen size.
Perturbedmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Thumbs up The best mattress

The best mattress IMHO is a sleep number mattress. They make rv sizes and Camping World is an authorized Sleep Number dealer. Authorized Sleep Number folks are the only ones that sell them.
I purchased mine when they were on sale at killer prices. I ended up with one for the Airstream, Another for the Teton and a king for the house. I am a FIRM [play on words] believer, try it you'll like it !
Chipster
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
We have tried a number of ways to get comfortable. Finally after almost 4 years, we ended up with a sleep number mattress topped with a pure latex topper and mattress pad warmer.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We also went with a Sleep Number and we bought a real latex topper from Rocky Mountain.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
You can buy real latex toppers online and -- if necessary -- trim them with an electric kitchen knife. See sleeponitnow.com. They use Talalay latex, made in the USA.

Disclaimer: related party
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We thought that the mattress that was delivered in our 2011 FC 30' was terrible!! We went with a mattress from Rocky Mountain Mattress and are very satisfied with the result. It was expensive. One suggestion: at the time we ordered it, it was available in both 8" and 10" thicknesses. We went with the 10", but realized right away that the 8" would have been just fine. Good luck.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I'll add that the 10" mattress covers the electrical outlets that are located on each side of the bed. We work around that by using flat plugs, but I think the 8" will clear the outlets.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We purchased a mattress through Rocky Mountain Mattress. It is a latex mattress and we are very happy with it. No more aching hips when I wake up and my Wife (who has had seven back surgeries) sleeps very well on it. Sales person was very helpful and not pushy at all. It was a little spendy but worth every cent to us. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Since you have a 2014, it sounds like the mattress supplied with Airstreams are no better than in 2007. We put a foam topper on ours and the result was great. The topper is longer than the OEM mattress. I lengthened the bed by adding a piece of 1/4" plywood to the end of the bed support to add 4-5", moved the OEM mattress down and my wife made a bolster to fit in the space at the wall. The pillows are over that space, so you never notice it. I put a piece if plywood cut to the space so fitted sheets would have something hard to hold onto.

This means you don't have to buy those expensive RV sheets that are shorter than regular sheets. Our feet don't hang over the end of the bed anymore and the bed is now comfortable.

Afterward we started reading about the chemicals in foam and how they offgas for years. We thought about replacing the whole thing with natural latex, but we never did. Natural latex or other substitutes are expensive, but safer.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
Archie

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ridgeland , Mississippi
WOW!!! I knew I had come to the very best place to get suggestions. Thank y'all so very much.

One thing I failed to let y'all know, we have the rear single beds. Which meanes both mattresses are curved at the head. So I guess I'll have to have the mattresses custom made.

I wonder if that style can be made in latex?

Anyone know of a good company who can produce a mattress or similar one?

Thanks again for y'all's help!

Fair winds and following seas to each of you. (Sailor talk) :-))
archiedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I got one mattress from mattress insider online - a twin @$321 2.4lb HD foam 36ILD. I use a gel topper on it and it is comfortable. That said I have a solid latex dunlop bed at home and love it.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiedh View Post
WOW!!! I knew I had come to the very best place to get suggestions. Thank y'all so very much.

One thing I failed to let y'all know, we have the rear single beds. Which meanes both mattresses are curved at the head. So I guess I'll have to have the mattresses custom made.

I wonder if that style can be made in latex?

Anyone know of a good company who can produce a mattress or similar one?

Thanks again for y'all's help!

Fair winds and following seas to each of you. (Sailor talk) :-))

Rocky Mountain Mattress Company has the mattress drawings for all Airstream models. We replaced the double curved corner bed in our 23' with a 10" mattress from them. Best $700.00 I ever spent.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Tempurpedic full queen works great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
We had 2 twin mattresses custom made in Winnipeg MB by Rest More. They are 8" with no foam of any type in them. I am allergic to foam, so they used the standard 5" coil system, with all batting on top, and a nominal amount on the bottom. Very firm and we get a great sleep. Took pattern into them on a Tuesday morning and picked up the new mattresses on Friday noon. Cost was $300.00 each. I think we got a great deal, as well as great mattresses.
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Went with the Sleep Number, RV Queen. May get one for the home. Wife likes it that much more than our tempurpedic.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I've been hearing good things about sleep number beds, but don't you have to have 110 power for them to work? What happens when you're dry camping?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #19
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
I've been hearing good things about sleep number beds, but don't you have to have 110 power for them to work? What happens when you're dry camping?
Hmm... that's a good point. I don't have a Sleep Number in the RV but we do have one at home. Once our mattress is filled with air to the desired firmness it remains at that number for a very long period of time. I think you could unplug the unit and it would remain at that firmness until you wanted to change it. So I'm guessing that periods of dry camping would not pose a significant problem.

You could also use an appropriately sized inverter to take power from your batteries and convert it to 120 AC to run the Sleep Number pump/control. When the pump/control is plugged in it probably uses a small amount of power to keep its brain active but it's not as if the pump has to run regularly to maintain the pressure.

The above is speculation on my part based on my home experience. I'm sure somebody with direct experience will chime in here.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote