Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas
Mattress removal on 23 FB

How to remove the factory mattress in a 2011 FC FB.? Wanting to replace it. I haven't tried yet, but it seems like it might be a chore. Thank you.
submirj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The mattress in our '15 was foam and not too thick. It bent around corners and was easy to remove. If the mattress has been replaced with a standard innerspring type, you may have more fun. Take it slow and use care to ease it out/in. Not having done it, I assume it will go out without cutting it up since it got put in place originally. More folks would be easier and better than rubbing on the furniture. Blankets that slide should help.

We replaced with "Bed in a box" type mattress. It is foam as well, comes in a bag, and fits through the door. You release the wrap that constrains it's size when you get it in place. Note - we extended the bed platform to properly support a full size queen mattress.

If I was doing it again, I would consider a regular innerspring unit. Look before you jump off the cliff.

Good luck - Pat

Edit - you might consider posting on the 23FB thread - good folks over there and this would be a good topic to discuss since it is 23FB specific.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
. . .
Edit - you might consider posting on the 23FB thread - good folks over there and this would be a good topic to discuss since it is 23FB specific.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...um-166374.html

Regular mattresses bend fairly easily if you have lots of hands ready. Four people should be able to do the job without too much fuss IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas
Mattress for 2011 23 FC FB

Is the original mattress difficult to remove? We are thinking of a 8 or 10 inch
memory foam which would be easy to install. Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Hard to remove? Not really. It's a bit awkward to get anything that big maneuvered around. Relax, take your time and have a helper when you pull it out.

Replacing it requires a custom made mattress. Like essentially every mattress used in every Airstream, it is an odd size / odd shape. There are a number of places that will sell you a replacement. None of them are what I would call cheap. I have not been involved with any of them recently so I will let others make recommendations there.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Hard to remove? Not really. It's a bit awkward to get anything that big maneuvered around. Relax, take your time and have a helper when you pull it out.

Replacing it requires a custom made mattress. Like essentially every mattress used in every Airstream, it is an odd size / odd shape. There are a number of places that will sell you a replacement. None of them are what I would call cheap. I have not been involved with any of them recently so I will let others make recommendations there.

Bob

Thank you Bob. I was laying on it yesterday and was thinking what a tight fit it might be, but it's nice to know it is doable without removing the dining rm bench.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by submirj View Post
Is the original mattress difficult to remove? We are thinking of a 8 or 10 inch
memory foam which would be easy to install. Any suggestions?

We have the same 2011FC23FB and replaced the original mattress with the Sleep Master Ultima[emoji768] Comfort Memory Foam 8 Inch Mattress, Queen via Amazon. Easy to install, as it comes rolled and compressed. I removed the original mattress by myself, though an extra pair of hands would have been nice. The queen is a bit longer then the plywood support, but that has not bothered us, as we really can't 'walk around' the bed anyway. It is VERY comfortable. Get the standard size if you want to preserve maximum space at the foot for access to the bins.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado

ps: We also have a padded headboard that I made from plywood which attaches to the base with hinges. It is angled back just enough for comfortable sitting in bed.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...fb-168099.html

Two threads running. Might request moderators to combine. Also try searching on mattress. Might find other threads that are helpful.

No, you do not have to purchase a special mattress. Just takes a pillow or filler at the top. Easy to extend the frame. Works well and much more choices available. The other way is to buy an inexpensive foam mattress and cut the radius yourself. I would not, but folks do.

Good luck. Pat
Old 06-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Part of the trick moving any mattress (other than a box spring) is that they bend. You can get them through places that are "not quite" wide enough. Bending them around things is why a helper is a useful thing to have.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I pick my up and muscle it out the door when I remove mine.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Now for the bad news. The mattress, if you get a thick one, will weigh more and therefore add to the tongue weight.

The lift struts are sized for the OEM and ours failed after a couple of trips. Got the parts below from Grainger. You will need to add some reinforcing blocks and through bolt. Tried screws and it's not working. Next project. There is a strut replacement project featured on a blog. Search on Mattress replacement. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lift strut parts.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	597.6 KB
ID:	287296  
Old 06-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #13
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We went with a memory foam topper on top of the original mattress and have been very happy with it. The struts are about at their limit, but still working.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , USA

We replaced our mattress two months ago with a 8" LUXURY COOL-MAX® GEL FOAM RV MATTRESS II from Mattress Insider and we are very pleased with it. We have a 2012 30ft Flying Cloud. Here's the link just in case you would like to look.

https://www.mattressinsider.com/luxu...mory-foam.html
Old 06-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
Mattress Schematic

You can email customer service at Airstream. Ohio, and ask for a Mattress Schematic. Be sure to include your entire model / serial number.

You will receive an emailed attachment that can be used by a mattress manufacturer to build a mattress guaranteed to fit. All the variable curves are plotted!

For a replacement mattress for my 2005, 22ft Safari, I went with a mattress advertiser on the Forums site, and am very pleased with the cost, delivery time, fit, finish, and "sleep comfort. jsutro
jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Custom mattress?

Though Jimbo's recent post looks thus far like the #1 thing I'd pursue, I'd also like to note that custom-built handmade mattresses are still available. I lived in Aridzona for quite a few years, and visited the local family-owned mattress outfit in Camp Verde one day. I told them I wanted the softest, most cushy-possible mattress they could build me for a double bed in my next-door guest apartment. They walked me through the materials, the longevity, the prices, the quality, etc. and I got a hand-built custom mattress for just about what you'd pay for a standard mattress at a major chain store.

Hunt around for a custom mattress-maker. Take a drive in your AS and visit them!
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote