Old 10-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Safari Streamer, sounds like you have same door problem. JC tried to fix it in June. Guess we have to make another 540 mile trip back there as door is worse now. We have to slam it so hard it sounds like the belly pan is falling off. Are you having same issue and how are you proceeding? Frustrating!

Old 10-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
4. Equalizer hitch. If you use the tongue jack to raise the truck a little more you should on most occasions be able to fit the bars on with the special tool. Maybe you were in an uneven site on this trip. Keep the head lubricated to prevent obnoxious noise.

12. Windows: Once you get them opened then spray some silicon onto a rag or sponge and coat the rubber gaskets liberally. This will make the windows open all the time. You will need to reapply after a few months.

19. Awnings. Practice deploying and retracting. If you have a center support be careful with it as it can come out the hole and slam back into the side of your new Airstream.

Glad you had a good time with it. Welcome

Kelvin
What he said-
You'll never have to use that funny looking little pry bar.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
What he said-
You'll never have to use that funny looking little pry bar.
I meant to say in item 4, WITHOUT the special tool. But I still carry it. I've had to hitch up and pull out of a campsite to more level road on a couple of occasions to get the spring bars on too.

Kelvin
Old 10-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have carried it since day 1, but have never used it.
I guess I think the truck 'n' trailer may one day be on a hill so steep to to gue jack won't go high enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Welcome! A couple of thoughts:

(1) The Airstream warranty for the sealant all around the trailer is only good for 6 months, while everything else is warrantied for 2 years. So, even though your new baby is not likely leaking at this time, go over it carefully looking for any places where sealant might be cracked or incompletely applied. If you find any, have the dealer fix it under warranty while you're there for anything else. We should have done this but missed it. We've had no problems, but we're now having this addressed to prevent future leaks. If we'd done it inside the 6 month window, it wouldn't be costing us as much now.
(2) If you find yourself needing two or more Lynx blocks to level the trailer (or equivalent height on an Anderson), you may find it easier to remove the Equal-i-zer bars before you level the trailer. If you remove the bars afterward, you may find there's plenty of torque between the truck and trailer that makes it tough to get the bars off, even with the jack waaaay up. Try it and see what works best for you.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Safari Streamer, sounds like you have same door problem. JC tried to fix it in June. Guess we have to make another 540 mile trip back there as door is worse now. We have to slam it so hard it sounds like the belly pan is falling off. Are you having same issue and how are you proceeding? Frustrating!

Try some lithium grease on the latch part of the door. You can get a spray can at the auto parts store. It's also good on auto door hinges. Check the screws on the on the latch that fold the outside handle onto the edge of the door. You may have to hold the rubber back to get at them

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
1998 34' Excella 1000
Apache Junction , Arizona
"12. Better free up those windows from the outside with a credit card or some similar device before opening for the first time. The seals can be fragile and you can tear some holes in them if you don't do this first. Guess the heat from the sun binds the seals to the glass."

You've seen several good solutions to this issue. I'll add another. I use silicone grease which I spread on very thinly with my finger. For me, the grease is more satisfactory than the spray because it lasts longer. I had to respray more often than the need to reapply the grease. If you are not one who remembers to do everything when it is due (like me ), the extra staying power of the grease more likely keeps me out of trouble. Sometimes.

Don
Old 11-02-2015, 06:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm168 View Post
"12. Better free up those windows from the outside with a credit card or some similar device before opening for the first time. The seals can be fragile and you can tear some holes in them if you don't do this first. Guess the heat from the sun binds the seals to the glass."

You've seen several good solutions to this issue. I'll add another. I use silicone grease which I spread on very thinly with my finger. For me, the grease is more satisfactory than the spray because it lasts longer. I had to respray more often than the need to reapply the grease. If you are not one who remembers to do everything when it is due (like me ), the extra staying power of the grease more likely keeps me out of trouble. Sometimes.

Don
Google window popper. It's a little spring loaded pin that goes on the inside.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:27 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Just discovered we are missing a bolt on a strap, holding the fresh water tank. Hubby tried to repair but looks like threads are striped. Not a huge issue but we don't have a convenient dealer so it will be a pain to get there. Wondering if this could be connected to the slamming door issue? Hmmm
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:48 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Safari Streamer. Are you still having issues with front door? We are and it is getting worse; afraid bottom hinge is gonna pop out.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #25
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Kpayne-

So glad you had a great first trip. We Airstream owners should remember just how great these coaches are compared to SO many other rigs out there. While they are man made and do require maintenance and care they are certainly special rigs.

Enjoy! We're going again in 10 days and even a 3 night long weekend rocks when your 'Streamin !

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
dinette

Is everyone's dinette too long on the side by the TV? We cannot open our refrigerator door all the way. That makes it difficult to remove the veggie bin on the left side. Who designed this???

SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote