Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Piggy Bank has some good points. In our first trailer was small and the bed was the dinette, we were happy and content. One trip we go were talking to the neighbors in the campsite next to us who had a big trailer. My wife asked " Do you have to sleep on the table or do you have a real bed?". I don't know that was a problem but the following weekend we purchased our 31' AS. Now I get to sleep in while she makes breakfast, sometimes.

John
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
We are purchasing a 28 that was already on order. I'm sure we could change.

We are driving a 2006 Dodge Ram one-ton dually long bed diesel we purchased new. It has 95000 miles on it. Someone always wants to buy it. Most of the mileage is towing fifth wheels or large living quarters horse trailers. We fear that we have too much truck! We would probably go SRW 3/4 ton, short bed if we trade but will use what we have for a while. We are also getting the Equilizer E2.

Hope it all works out. I love hearing others ideas and opinions though. We might look at another 25 twin RB if there was one within a few hundred miles but not.
horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
In the 2016 Airstream lineup all models except the Classic have flat plywood bench seats with a cushion on top. This is not comfortable long-term seating, and for many of us, not comfortable short-term seating. Apparently Airstream has taken sofas and recliners out of the choices so the seats could function as beds (Swiss Army knives that can do multiple tasks are big sellers, even though they don't perform any of the tasks well).

Many of us have converted various models to recliner seating. The 30' models had a recliner option 2010 - 2015, no more. However one member asked for a 2016 30' with the recliner arrangement and they built it that way for him.

You might want to check on the availability or convertibility of recliners in a 2016 30', or look at a new Classic if you plan to spend a lot of time traveling with your Airstream. The price of the Classic is startling as travel trailers go, but look at the features and components (inside and out) compared to other Airstream models.

Yes you have too much truck in that the heavy live dual wheel axle and heavy suspension can beat your new Airstream up. The road shock transfers to the trailer through the hitch assembly. Avoid any hitch without light duty, tapered w.d. bars so you have as much flexibility as possible. Some are using a Air-Safe hitch in addition to the w.d. hitch to soften the shock.

Airstreams are somewhat fragile, they don't take a beating well. Check some of the Airstream Quality threads to see what can happen. Heavy truck suspensions, heavy truck loads, heavy trailer tongue weights, stiff w.d. systems combined with rough roadways are suspect as advised by a couple of experienced Airstream repair shops on this forum, Inland RV and Can-Am RV.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Doug, I will pass this on to my husband as he, too, is concerned. Also our salesman in Richmond, VA.

We have recliners in our current fifth wheel and love them but that's all they are good for. We might be better off redesigning the foam sofa if it comes to that. I sleep best on about 4" of foam on plywood but I don't plan to sleep up there. I also sleep well on jackknife sofas!

You have made some good points. I would love to have the 30' Classic but it is out of our price range. We are very upside down on our current fifth wheel--we haven't had it long enough--and we have been retired for over 10 years. Prior to 2008, I would not have thought twice about buying a Classic.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What about a less expensive 30' like a Flying Cloud?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
I believe the 30' Flying Cloud is a bunk model. I will look again, but we are very happy with set up in 28' FC. I'm not understanding why so many responding don't like it. Other than the foam, what isn't to like?

This will be our 10th unit in 43 years so we're not newbies. We have a beautiful 2012 large fifth wheel (which is why we are so upside down) but want to go smaller and simpler. We have had truck campers, fifth wheels, diesel pusher, class C's, and expensive living quarters horse trailers.

I'm most worried about our huge truck and what seem like valid observations by Doug. We have been used to pulling 13-16,000 pounds, sometimes with live weight. We no longer need that much towing power and don't want to tear up an expensive Airstream!

I looked up Inland RV but only seem to be finding questions posed to them but not the responses. Have to keep working at it.

Again, what's wrong with the Flying Cloud 28 twin? They are selling and had one sell right out from under us that had only been on lot a week. Am I missing something?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Looking for first RV. Few general questions. FC 25-27'. FB or RB. Twins? Etc..

I am a cook and have had a 28 International for a few years.We have not ever run into a storage problem or lack of work space.We found that the intended closet next to the refrigerator actually makes a wonderful pantry.We installed fitted stackable drawer storage containers in all the available space and it holds more than we need.
The his and her closets in the rear along with the storage under the queen bed and the over bed storage hold all the clothes.We do a lot on mountain adventures so we take summer and winter clothes.
The storage under the front couch holds all the large pots and pans etc.I researched all the models and decided for us the 28 was perfect and it has not let us down.If we're to buy a new one again it would be the 28 for us.But that is why they make different floor plans.

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseylady View Post
I believe the 30' Flying Cloud is a bunk model. I will look again, but we are very happy with set up in 28' FC. I'm not understanding why so many responding don't like it. Other than the foam, what isn't to like?

This will be our 10th unit in 43 years so we're not newbies. We have a beautiful 2012 large fifth wheel (which is why we are so upside down) but want to go smaller and simpler. We have had truck campers, fifth wheels, diesel pusher, class C's, and expensive living quarters horse trailers.

I'm most worried about our huge truck and what seem like valid observations by Doug. We have been used to pulling 13-16,000 pounds, sometimes with live weight. We no longer need that much towing power and don't want to tear up an expensive Airstream!

I looked up Inland RV but only seem to be finding questions posed to them but not the responses. Have to keep working at it.

Again, what's wrong with the Flying Cloud 28 twin? They are selling and had one sell right out from under us that had only been on lot a week. Am I missing something?

There is a Flying Cloud 30 bunk, but there is also Flying Cloud 30 and 30 Twin- basically the same layout as a Classic 30.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-07-2015, 05:30 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Thanks, I did see that but it's still foam seating, more money and I gain 3' in length. I really like the separation of sofa and dinette on 28. Shower is marginal but been there, done that, and it worked out ok. Wish someone had some units in stock so I could look again but everything that was there last week at this time is gone.

I'm more worried about what we're going to do about a truck.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:

Air down the rear tires of the truck to something sensible like 50 psi, front 65 psi, use a light weight weight distribution system or as others have said think seriously about the Air Safe hitch.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We ordered out 2014 Classic with twin beds. Have far more storage than the queen bed model. We like being able to stand between the beds to dress without bending over. The Classic has a rear roof locker plus roof lockers over each window in the bedroom. There is a hanging closet above the foot of each bed. The twin beds have a vertical center board which allows for half the space to be accessible from inside and half from a hatch outside. There is also a rear storage area under the night stand with outside access.

The other twin bed models (Flying Cloud) usually do not have the twin over window roof lockers or the twin hanging lockers. The under twin bed storage is the same.

Note that the International Series do not show a twin bed option, but if one is willing to pay a lot more then by magic twins beds can be installed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Thanks, I did see that but it's still foam seating, more money and I gain 3' in length. I really like the separation of sofa and dinette on 28. Shower is marginal but been there, done that, and it worked out ok. Wish someone had some units in stock so I could look again but everything that was there last week at this time is gone.

I've been towing with a half ton for a long time.
Pick your color and options and go.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote: