Old 06-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Also sit on the toilet and close the door to see if your knees fit inside the space and you can still maneuver as needed......

We had the 2013 25FB International Serenity with queen bed model as our first Airstream and bought it without ever being in one. I hated hitting my head on the rear roof locker above my head every time I sat up in bed and making the bed with a four inch wide foot space was a real challenge for this non-acrobatic senior.

When we ordered the 2014 31' Classic model 30, we opted for the twin beds. We are delighted with that arrangement plus there is a lot more storage than the queen bed model offers. We have the rear roof locker and a roof locker above the window on each side plus a hanging closet on each side. There is access to half the under bed storage from inside and there are three outside hatches to access the other half of the bed storage plus under the night stand.

We elected to bypass the 27FBClassic and be done with the "two more feet" issue for only the $3,200 difference in base price at the time, versus the tens of thousands of trying and trading in the intermediate size.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
In the shower of the 25rb the wheel well extnends the whole length of the shower pan while the 25fb it extends only half way. I'm not sure how that affects taking a shower. Try standing in the shower of an 25rb and see if there is enough room to turn around.

Kelvin
We can tell you after a few hundred showers in our 25RB the shower configuration is no issue whatsoever. But the 25RB bathroom is much more spacious than the 25/27FB, it also has a window.

And after a few hundred nights sleeping in the 25RB Queen Bed, there is little problem exiting it or making it up. You just do it differently.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:34 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
You guys/gals are great. Really glad I found this site. My wife and I took our infant and toddler to see a few models at the Airstream dealer today. We saw a few that we liked, but the 27' FC really caught our eye. Our two and a half year old son wants an orange Airstream. Special order I'm sure.

The 27' FC we saw had the queen, but I'm quite certain that we would rather have twins. Had dinner with my folks, whom owned a large airstream for several years, and they were excited we were considering buying one. Fond memories they had in theirs for sure resurfaced.

My dad was looking through the brouchure and pointed out the L shape couch and bigger bathroom in the 28' FC. Upon looking, my wife and I were both impressed as well. And elated to see this 28' model is also offered with twins rather than a queen bed. Weight and length appear near identical. Need to see one in person somehow.

Search continues, but just wanted to report back. Lots to learn and ponder, and all insights you share here are being followed up on. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us.

Few quick questions for anyone with the time or patience.

How do you get wifi in an RV. Assuming your camping in a place without it.

What is best options for TV/Cable? We use Amazon Fire at home, which requires only WiFi to work. Similar to Roku or Apple TV. Would go this route if I knew how to have WiFi in RV irregardless of camping location/campground.

What is expected in most campgrounds regarding hook ups? Water and 110 electric only? Sewage? Cable TV? Etc. Have not been in enough campgrounds to know. Most usage will be in Smoky Mountains of NC/Tenn. And assorted rural campgrounds between here and there. We live in south central NC.

Assuming I'm storing camper in garage or covered carport at home, what is basic work required to keep outer shell looking good for years to come? Is a simple wash and wax twice a year enough or is there special care needed?

Thanks for any continued assistance.

Dan
Dan, I mentioned earlier that picking an Airstream is personal and my or anyone's opinions are just that. You have to find what works for you. I love Airstreams but there is one model that I struggle to understand and that is the 28. On paper and in the catalog I originally fell in love with it. It tends to be more of the classic feel that I was use to for so long. So much I was ready to order one sight unseen. My dealer flat 'almost' refused to let me do it and successfully did so. He then showed me detailed pictures that convinced me not to go down this path. If you like to cook and want kitchen storage you might consider something else. There is basically no drawers in the 28. There are two but they are very tiny and hidden behind a pantry door. It is a strange design and must work for some. My dealer is the oldest Airstream dealer in the U.S. And he said the 28 is the least manufactured AS in the inventory. Make sure you see one of these before inking it. They are hard to find too, maybe a reason for that.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
In the shower of the 25rb the wheel well extnends the whole length of the shower pan while the 25fb it extends only half way. I'm not sure how that affects taking a shower. Try standing in the shower of an 25rb and see if there is enough room to turn around.

Kelvin
The wheel well partially into the shower stall makes it difficult to shower. I can't imagine trying to shower with the wheel well across the entire shower stall.
As it is, I have to stand at an angle with one foot behind the wheel well and one foot beside the wheel well. Otherwise, I'm too close to the door or too close to the curved part of the wall. Sometimes I sit on the wheel, but I can't take an entire bath sitting down. I want to turn around, bend over, twist, etc.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Also sit on the toilet and close the door to see if your knees fit inside the space and you can still maneuver as needed......

We had the 2013 25FB International Serenity with queen bed model as our first Airstream and bought it without ever being in one. I hated hitting my head on the rear roof locker above my head every time I sat up in bed and making the bed with a four inch wide foot space was a real challenge for this non-acrobatic senior.

When we ordered the 2014 31' Classic model 30, we opted for the twin beds. We are delighted with that arrangement plus there is a lot more storage than the queen bed model offers. We have the rear roof locker and a roof locker above the window on each side plus a hanging closet on each side. There is access to half the under bed storage from inside and there are three outside hatches to access the other half of the bed storage plus under the night stand.

We elected to bypass the 27FBClassic and be done with the "two more feet" issue for only the $3,200 difference in base price at the time, versus the tens of thousands of trying and trading in the intermediate size.
Center bath models with the toilet angled out into the wide open floor space are the best for me.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
My wife and I bought our first RV back in early April. We searched for over 5 years trying to find the "perfect" RV for us. One day I made the mistake of stopping by Out-Of-Doors mart and looked at an Airstream. They were nice, very nice, but way more money than we were looking to spend. To make a long story short, a week later were about ready to plop down some money on a used white box trailer when I told my wife that normal RV's just no longer excited me. We ended up leaving the dealership we were at and driving like mad to get to the Airstream dealer before it closed. One look at the Airstreams and she was hooked too. We are both around 40 years old and do not regret our decision to jump straight to an Airstream. We wanted to try out a cheap travel trailer to start with, but we just felt that owning an Airstream would be a completely different experience. I can see why Dan may be reluctant to try out a cheaper mainstream trailer as they just seem like a completely different experience. We ended up finding a used (2010) Airstream at Foley's on the southern tip of Mississippi. Just driving down and buying it as well as a week or so camping on the gulf was such an adventure. We went all out and got the Flying Cloud 30 to start with. We really appreciate the larger counter space and bathroom, but could live with a smaller one on most other aspects. Ours has the recliners, which we absolutely love, but they are impractical if you need lots of sleeping area. If you already know you love camping then go for it. If you are like us you will find yourself constantly wanting to work in a camping trip and find new places close by. We like ours so much that we even use it as an extended living area (some basic landscaping and full hook ups right beside the house). I do not think we would have been as excited about camping if we had settled for a standard trailer. This is all just my opinion of course, but my wife and I would have likely tired of camping very quickly in one of the traditional gloomy white boxes. Our Airstream, on the other hand, is something we constantly look forward to.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You got a great unit from a great dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
We have certainly enjoyed it and Ron at Foley's took care of any problems and issues that came up. I recommend Foley's whenever I can. I live in North Carolina though, so I can only send them so much business.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
28 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
Dan, I mentioned earlier that picking an Airstream is personal and my or anyone's opinions are just that. You have to find what works for you. I love Airstreams but there is one model that I struggle to understand and that is the 28. On paper and in the catalog I originally fell in love with it. It tends to be more of the classic feel that I was use to for so long. So much I was ready to order one sight unseen. My dealer flat 'almost' refused to let me do it and successfully did so. He then showed me detailed pictures that convinced me not to go down this path. If you like to cook and want kitchen storage you might consider something else. There is basically no drawers in the 28. There are two but they are very tiny and hidden behind a pantry door. It is a strange design and must work for some. My dealer is the oldest Airstream dealer in the U.S. And he said the 28 is the least manufactured AS in the inventory. Make sure you see one of these before inking it. They are hard to find too, maybe a reason for that.
I fell in love with the FC 28 twin both on paper and when I saw one in person. The kitchen seems adequate even after having a huge kitchen in a 34' fifth wheel for 4 years. The thing I don't understand on a lot of the floor plans, Is where two people can comfortably watch tv? I also don't like the lounging area too close to where I'm working in kitchen which is why we didn't choose the 25' twin. I hope we're not making a mistake with the 28. This will be our 10th RV in 43 years and it will have to be our last. I really like the "J" lounge with the pull-out to make a bed or just put feet on while reading or watching tv and having extra sleeping for grandkids on occasion. Does anyone have a 28 Flying Cloud that can give me additional insight? We have had all kinds and are downsizing and simplifying with no slide rooms and easy hook up/unhook, setup.

We are new members and just getting on this forum. I hope I'm not hijacking thus post.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:31 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Before pulling the trigger on the 28, check out the new Flying Cloud 26U. There is a video on that unit by Patrick at Colonial:

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Switz,, watched video and appreciate your input. Twin beds is mandatory for us and I didn't look to see if available. Dinette would not work for us. Don't want to sit around a table for TV watching. Like pull-out pantry and microwave and larger shower but that's about all. We all have different requirements for sure! On the 28, I can turn around and use table to sit things while using kitchen and hubby is out of the way on sofa. We are going to take 1/3 less with us than in past but with full truck bed we should have plenty of room.

Would still like additional input and ideas though.

Thanks so much.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Do not undersize your tow vehicle. If you plan to keep the tow vehicle for a few years, get one that will handle the 30 ft. Classic. Then you will be able to handle any of the Airstreams, except for the 34 ft.

One difference between the twin and the queen is storage. The Twin has outside storage compartments under the twin beds (at least on the 30 ft.), therefore a little less inside storage. Twin vs. Queen is strictly a personal choice. We have had both.

When we purchased a new 1999 Airstream Safari we had been to a couple of dealers and looked at some on the lot. We had decided on the 25 ft. When we went to a dealer to make a purchase, he had both the 25 and 27 on his lot. We probably sat in each unit for about an hour and decided that the 27 ft. best fit our needs. Nothing beats spending time in a unit and envision how you would use it and where you would store your "stuff".

As an aside, we just purchased a new truck and Airstream, and our dealer recommended the Equalizer hitch. We researched it and liked what we saw. We took his advice and couldn't be happier with the hitch. It is rock solid and there is absolutely no swayor tail wag when being passed by a tractor trailer. I couldn't say this for the other hitches I have had.

Best advice is not to get in a hurry and do a lot of research. When you find what you want, make the purchase and join WBCCI!
Old 08-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Piggy Bank has some good points. In our first trailer was small and the bed was the dinette, we were happy and content. One trip we go were talking to the neighbors in the campsite next to us who had a big trailer. My wife asked " Do you have to sleep on the table or do you have a real bed?". I don't know that was a problem but the following weekend we purchased our 31' AS. Now I get to sleep in while she makes breakfast, sometimes.

John
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
We are purchasing a 28 that was already on order. I'm sure we could change.

We are driving a 2006 Dodge Ram one-ton dually long bed diesel we purchased new. It has 95000 miles on it. Someone always wants to buy it. Most of the mileage is towing fifth wheels or large living quarters horse trailers. We fear that we have too much truck! We would probably go SRW 3/4 ton, short bed if we trade but will use what we have for a while. We are also getting the Equilizer E2.

Hope it all works out. I love hearing others ideas and opinions though. We might look at another 25 twin RB if there was one within a few hundred miles but not.