Old 06-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
25ft twins bed

We have a 2015 25ft Flying Cloud Twins w/the new air Conditioning and love it.
retired no kids, no pet's. Just pulled from AZ to Lake Tahoe with no problems.

Buying a TT is like buying a car, I always go new, because there a reason why people trade in the old ones, something is not right with them.

If your going to buy used, ask them for the person information so you can talk to them and get the history on the unit.

Once you buy it it's yours and don't look too off load if you find out that you don't like it you will be the loser.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Dan, be careful buying an Airstream. It is sort of like adopting a new family member; you will have a tendency to give and treat her with unconditional love ;-) and with care it will last a life time returning countless wonderful memories to you and your family. Also, beware, as unique as Airstreams are (and there is not and has not been any RV like them) the Airstream owners are as unique too. The AS community we are a very tight, adventurous and very helpful group of owners. They are as good or better than the trailers themselves.

I think many of your questions are being answered but just a couple of thoughts for 19 years of Airstreaming. The thoughts below are Ďmy personalí taste for my personal needs. We all have different ones so I am not making points because I think one length or layout is best.

25 vs. 27 foot. As you can see the floor plans are very similar but to put it in a nutshell, and the answer is obvious, there is more space in the 27. Typically in the galley area where the slide out pantries are wider. But, as I will note below, the 25 RB twin has one of the largest bathrooms and storage, even more than many 27s layouts.

My perspective on why I have a 25í RB Twin, vs. a 25í FB Twin. First of all I would choose a twin over an RV Queen hands down, FB or in a RB. RV Queens are not really queens. If you put two RV twins together there is a noticeable difference in the width and length. So, a twin bed is just much more roomy and comfy for all involved. Nothing wrong with snuggling, but sometimes too close, well I leave this one alone. Also, I also go out with just the kids or the guys, the twins work perfect for this. I owned my last Airstream for 19 years, I had only one regret, I was not able to get this model with twins. And every year I said I would get a new Airstream with twinsÖI did!!

Ok, 25í Twin RB vs. FB:

I think there might be more differences in the impact of reversing the 25í from FB to RB than any other model. As you will find out, unlike other trailers, AS sit low to the ground, good thing. But, this also causes the wheel wells to protrude into the AS body and it causes the loss of storage space, not as good but better than your center of gravity being off.

The 25RB (again this is all about the TWIN layout and that makes a difference too) is by far the least penalized by the wheel wells. The FB layout is not so lucky.

- Kitchen storage: on the 25FB the refrigerator has to sit on the wheel wells. What you get from this is two very tiny storage areas, one above and one below, the frig.. About enough room for drinking cups and a couple of canned goods.
On the 25RB the frig. can sit directly on the floor. This gives you two big options: one, you can have a microwave or microwave/convection located on top the frig.. Second, you can forgo the Microwave and have a giant (by Airstream standards) storage area. And it really comes in handy!! Note: if you go with he standard range top and oven you cannot have a microwave in a 25FB. To have a MW in a 25FB you must delete the oven and have it installed there. In the 25RB you can have the oven plus a MW, or delete the oven and install a convection/microwave and gain a ton of space.

The couch (the booth seating is the same in both RB and FB). The RB has a shorter couch in the living area. This is personal preference but I find the full size couch in the 25 a little excessive and as I mention below, because of this penalizes the bathroom. There is no issue getting two adults and one kid sleeping arrangements in either the RB or FB living area.

The bathroom: wow here is another big difference. The 25RB Twin really takes advantage of that shorter couch. All that extra space (length, counter space and storage) ends up in one of AS best bathrooms. It is a big difference. It is also one of the few toilets, not to get personal, where you can sit down and not be cramped. To each his own, but you can get to people in this bathroom. Tight but not impossible like the other layout.

Outside storage lockers: here also is a giant difference. The 25 FB has, in my opinion, inadequate outside storage. There is NO rear big and deep truck! The limited size big trunk is located up front. The propane bottles sit right in front of this truck. It is about as inconvenient as all get out. The 25FB then only has one more small/medium trunk located on the side.

The 25 RB twin has a total of 4 outside trunks. One giant one in the rear with unobstructed access. It has two additional lockers on the left side and one additional on the curbside.

Windows. You loose one in the 25RB living area since the couch is shorter. Personally, there was too much glass there to start with;-)

Also with twin vs. queen. Tons more room to move about in the bedroom. You donít have to wake someone to get under the queen bed for your clean clothes. Also, that big floor space between the beds are a great place to store stuff you canít find anywhere else to put it, and still be able to get in and out of bed.

Sorry I probably gave TMI. Here is a long but very good comparison YouTube doing a better job than I did comparing the two:

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Dan, here is another video walking you through a 25RB Twin. It shows the 4voutside storage bins. They are deeper than they appear on the video and longer inside then the entrance.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We started off storing our trailer at a storage lot. After a couple of trailers were vandalized, I brought it home and stored it the back yard. After getting stuck a couple of times after a rain, I started parking it in the driveway. Then, the guy that owns the funeral home behind the house offered to let me and my neighbor both store our Airstreams at the funeral home. He wanted something parked there to keep people from using his lot as a through street. My trailer is parked between a shed and a bank building. My neighbor's Airstream (when parked- they're gone for a couple of months hitting the national rally in Farmington, NM) is on the other side of the shed between it and the funeral home. What's in the shed? A blue 1963 Lincoln 4 door convertible and a black 1964 Lincoln 4 door convertible. One belongs to the funeral home owner and he lets another guy store his there.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Jumping in on the twin vs the queen comments. We had a 27' Safari with twins. I didn't like the corner cuts. When we ordered the Classic we got the queen. After direct comparison of the two, I think we would opt for the twins again. That center isle between the beds with the ability to sit on the bed while putting on shoes and socks was nice. Move around area is much better with the twins.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Toronto , Ontario
We like our middle twin bed in our '73 25' Land Yacht but would love to have rear twins and the bathroom in the middle. Have owned since 1998 and if we were to buy another we would go a bit longer and get a dinette at the front rather than the gaucho couch and the rear twins if such a thing exists. And definitely deal with a dealer rather than a private seller if you aren't all that familiar with AS's. At least one can hope the dealer will have given it a huge check-over before selling it.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waitsfield , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Vermontmary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Back to some of your specific questions on the 25.

There is a difference in the lounge length in the FB vs RB 25. Also 1 window by the lounge vs 2.

The bathrooms also differ, as well as storage above the refrigerator.

Exterior storage differs, and you might "envision" the unit with a bike rack on the back and figure that into your evaluation of storage access and the view out the back window.

I recommending spending some time with your Television and Youtube looking at the videos on colonial airstream's website. Airstream's literature does a very poor job of giving floor plans AND elevation drawings. Pay attention to windows, which windows open or don't open. Especially if you intend to camp in the mountains and don't want to have to run AC.

Once you understand the way the units are laid out, then think about where you want to be to do tasks like dry your hair, shave, make a salad, do paperwork with the computer, read, watch movies, and where you want to stand to get dressed in privacy. Is there space so 1 person can nap and another can make breakfast or watch movies? Is there space for 1 person to be dressing/showering, and another to be starting dinner?
I totally agree with Piggy Bank! With each space that is larger in one model, another space will be smaller in another (Longer lounge/smaller bathroom, etc.), so you need to see how it feels to <<your>> family!
I think it's possible to have twin beds swapped in for the existing queen bed, but it may be more expensive than simply finding an airstream fitted-out the way you want it.
Have fun searching all the possibilities!
Old 06-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #22
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
Out of Doors Mart near Winston typically doesn't have a lot of inventory. Safford RV on I95 just north of Richmond has a lot of them....good web site, and Ken in sales is very knowledgeable. I would strongly advise getting a good used one, try it out, go to rallies, camp at Highland Havens, ask for advice, and see what you think. That worked well for us.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
This thread just shows how different people have widely diverging opinions and experiences with the same things...

We bought a 2011 25FB last fall and have spent four months living in it so far (we do 4-6 week trips and then return home for a break before heading out again). We had never owned an RV before (extensive tent/car camping before), bought our Airstream, and are 99% happy with our decision. So, RV newbies can do a lot of research, thinking, and planning like we did and end up with an Airstream that we love the first time around.

You mention that you are considering the twin option so this might not be relevant, but the 25FB layout diagram is completely inaccurate with regard to the queen bed. The diagram indicates that there is enough space to walk around the bed, which is not the case. The only thing I fully dislike about our trailer is the bed configuration because it is really difficult to make, especially every day for weeks on end. We have found that we have more than enough storage for long trips with the 25FB (and we take along all of our computer stuff for work plus two backpacks full of photo gear). I would like the additional kitchen counter space that comes along with the 27FB but am also happy to have a shorter trailer overall. The only other area of unhappiness for us is the poor quality of foam used in the cushions. It is a long story as to why but Airstream provided a full set of new cushions as part of our purchase and they have held up really poorly. The cushions look quite tattered after only a few months of use, which has been disappointing. The dinette is not the most comfortable place to work for a full day of work but we have made the best of it.

If we were to buy again, I would desire the 27FB or the 28 with the separate dinette/lounge but we would probably end up with the 25FB again based on our use and needs. If you do the right planning and research, you too could be a happy Airstream newbie despite the suggestions to the contrary above.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
You guys/gals are great. Really glad I found this site. My wife and I took our infant and toddler to see a few models at the Airstream dealer today. We saw a few that we liked, but the 27' FC really caught our eye. Our two and a half year old son wants an orange Airstream. Special order I'm sure.

The 27' FC we saw had the queen, but I'm quite certain that we would rather have twins. Had dinner with my folks, whom owned a large airstream for several years, and they were excited we were considering buying one. Fond memories they had in theirs for sure resurfaced.

My dad was looking through the brouchure and pointed out the L shape couch and bigger bathroom in the 28' FC. Upon looking, my wife and I were both impressed as well. And elated to see this 28' model is also offered with twins rather than a queen bed. Weight and length appear near identical. Need to see one in person somehow.

Search continues, but just wanted to report back. Lots to learn and ponder, and all insights you share here are being followed up on. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us.

Few quick questions for anyone with the time or patience.

How do you get wifi in an RV. Assuming your camping in a place without it.

What is best options for TV/Cable? We use Amazon Fire at home, which requires only WiFi to work. Similar to Roku or Apple TV. Would go this route if I knew how to have WiFi in RV irregardless of camping location/campground.

What is expected in most campgrounds regarding hook ups? Water and 110 electric only? Sewage? Cable TV? Etc. Have not been in enough campgrounds to know. Most usage will be in Smoky Mountains of NC/Tenn. And assorted rural campgrounds between here and there. We live in south central NC.

Assuming I'm storing camper in garage or covered carport at home, what is basic work required to keep outer shell looking good for years to come? Is a simple wash and wax twice a year enough or is there special care needed?

Thanks for any continued assistance.

Dan
Old 06-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You are right on target with the twins and the 27 footer, but...
The L-shaped lounge is uncomfortable. A couch/gaucho is more comfortable. Recliners are best.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #26
Setats

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Brooksville , Florida
We had a 2011 27 Flying Cloud rear bedroom and now have a 2014 27 Flying Cloud with a front bedroom. We like the front bedroom much better than the rear bedroom. How soon are you planning to make the purchase?
Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Winter/spring most likely.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
In the shower of the 25rb the wheel well extnends the whole length of the shower pan while the 25fb it extends only half way. I'm not sure how that affects taking a shower. Try standing in the shower of an 25rb and see if there is enough room to turn around.

Kelvin