Old 02-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
saint louis park , Minnesota
Looking at buying a slightly used 2011 Flying Cloud 23FB

New airstreamer here. I'm getting close to purchasing either a new 22' sport, new 23FB international (by far my favorite), or a used 2011 Flying cloud 23FB that is 2,000 miles away from my home. I live in minneapolis and buying something that i can't see first makes me a bit worried, but it looks brand new and is $20k less than a new one (listed at $43,500 right now). Sounds like it will be $3k or so to ship it up to the great white north (where it was -16 deg on my drive to my office this morning.

I still don't have a tow vehicle and i'm waiting on my airstream purchase, prior to making that decision. I know the 23FB weighs more, but it has the tandem axel which i would guess rides nice. I'm digging the 23FB since the bed is a bit bigger for me and my wife. I'm 6'2 200lbs so hoping for enough space.

Any thoughts on my decision between the 3 choices? Again, i'm really liking the 23FB international, but that's a lot of cabbage for a 29year old that's new to RV'ing. If i did order new, i'd try to get 15-20% below MSRP before making a commitment.

Thank you!

Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
I can only speak to the 2011 23 FB, which we had for almost two years.

The bed is queen sized, but whoever winds up sleeping on the far side (front of trailer), has a difficult time getting out. This holds true to the FC or the International.

The bath is nice, however, the toilet is designed for a pro basketball player (when setting, your legs don't touch the bottom of the floor.

Our shower was problematic (it leaked from the get go), and was never fixed to my satisfaction. AS changed shower doors in 2012, so that gives you reason to assume others had the same problem.

Overall, the trailer is good for a couple, but the dinette is the only place to set, and the 2011 dinette only seats two, due to the wheel wells. The new 2014 FB solves that problem by using the same seating arrangement as the 22. The 2011 seating is difficult for the person who faces the bathroom when it comes to watching TV.

We moved (and I suspect many others, too) up to the 25 for the above reasons.

Yes the new trailers are pricey, but with this kind of investment, getting exactly what you want is important.

Good luck!

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
We purchased a 2014 Sport 22FB in January. Wife, me, and dog. We have been out on two trips. Initial reactions: 1) bed: Will fit you, but the window sleeper has to climb over the other person. It is also a bit of a tussle to make the bed; 2) the dinette really is only good for 2. Maybe a small child could sit with their back to the window, but that is about it; 3) storage: copious amount of storage (4 large Sterilite bins under the bed, plus closet, cabinets, etc) but you have to get on hands & knees to access it. No big deal, but probably not where you want to put readily needed items; 4) bath at back is great. "Business" is as far from everything as can be. Sink is crazy tiny, think airplane.

We are still sorting out our process, but this tows like a dream, & is super easy to set up. We would buy it again in a minute.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
saint louis park , Minnesota
I had a great 30min conversation with the gen manager of the store. very thorough and asked me great questions. given size of our family, close proximity to downtown (where things are a bit cramped), i'm leaning towards the 22' sport.

Much appreciated advice! Thanks-