Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Leak 2015 fb twin flying cloud

We just picked up our new unit and 6 hrs later found a big leak in the front making the beds wet. We were several hrs from dealer and going by Jackson center. They agreed to take the unit into service on friday. How do we use the rv parking area? Any tips. Our 22 2013 sport had very few issues. Do we have a lemon????

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
That's not a lemon.....that's an AIrstream!

Sorry I can't help you with Terra Port, but perhaps this thread bump will help get you some advice.

Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Sorry to hear your having problems. There are circular parking areas nxt. to service. Just drive thru ,pick a spot and back in.They have hook up's. Early in morning be at front desk to sign in.(Remember your site #)They have sign on door for time,i would walk over a little earlier. Chk in you will be assigned a service rep and review you problem's. Then wait in waiting room (Very large & nice) They take a tractor out and get your unit and work on it. At end of day they return your trailer to your site.You can stay another day if needed.
Nice Restaurant nxt door and others in area.
Do a "Google Earth" of address to review area and drive in to camp.
Hope this Helps. We were there in May for front panel replacement and things went very well.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
One incident does not a lemon make. Just sounds like you have normal run of the mill Airstream. Current quality control seems to a major problem in Jackson Center. The Terraport is very easy to get too. It is on the side of the service area. You can park before going in and seeing nice folks in the office. Electric and water are available. Good luck.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Review "Who" is responsible to pay for "Leak Test." I think it cost $300-$400 .I would confirm its covered under "Warranty"
Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Should've bought SOB. They never leak My 2008 Classic doesn't leak.....yet.

RV leaks are like termites in houses:
Some have leaks, some have been treated for leaks, the rest will get leaks.

Was your 2015 a special order or had it been sitting on the lot for a couple of months?

As long as you are taking to JC have them perform the leak test and fix anymore they find.

Sorry, can't provide insight to the Terra Port

Good luck with your new AS and don't despair.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
We just picked up our new unit and 6 hrs later found a big leak in the front making the beds wet. We were several hrs from dealer and going by Jackson center. They agreed to take the unit into service on friday. How do we use the rv parking area? Any tips. Our 22 2013 sport had very few issues. Do we have a lemon????

We've used the Terraport a couple of times at Jackson Center. If you arrive after the service center closes for the day Thursday, just park in any vacant spot at the Terraport and hook up to the utilities. The next morning have your trailer ready to be moved by 7:00 am (i.e. disconnected from utilities, valuables removed, and ready for transport) and be standing at the service center desk to check in. If you have an appointment your trailer will be towed by a tractor into a service bay about 7:00 am.

If the work takes more than one day, you can stay in your trailer at night. Tell the service manager you want to sleep overnight in the trailer. Airstream will tow it back to your Terraport site at night. There is no charge for using the Terraport if you are at Airstream for service.

If you arrive after the service center closes, ask one of the other Terraport campers for the wifi code. The security guard at the gate of the factory also has the wifi code.

During the day there is a waiting room at the service center with coffee and seating. Usually they will allow you to go into the service bay to talk to the technician working on the trailer. There aren't many restaurants in Jackson Center (think Subway). A few miles west of Jackson Center is the village of New Breman which has a nice restaurant next to the bicycle museum. The museum has the historical bicycle collection once owned by the Schwinn company. If the service tech says it will take a few hours for the repair you might drive over to see the museum and have a nice lunch.

If you end up staying the weekend, the National Museum of the Air Force is located at Wright Patterson Air Force base in Dayton, Ohio, an easy drive from Jackson Center. There are a variety of restaurants ranging from fast food to sit down in Sydney, Ohio south of Jackson Center.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Wifi is weakest the further you are away from the building BUT it's quieter in the back so there are trade offs. The drive up and hook up comments are correct. Just recognize that others will do the same at all hours of the night - Sunday nights late are like a parade of arriving campers for Monday appointments.

Food locations are at a minimum. The bar/restaurant to the side of Airstream has takeout pizza that I remember as being good food. Coffee and sometime donuts are available when Airstream opens in the waiting room.

Pets are welcome - it the waiting area even. There is a large field out back you can walk them. Take the tour while you wait. It's a good one and takes a while so time will pass.

I do not recommend leaving the area until the tech looks at and explains your options - the first day there - before repairs begin. Nothing like explaining to you over the phone the issues you have - better to be there.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Killer cheese burgers, very cold beer and friendly locals are located right next door to the factory. From the front door take a right and walk maybe 50 yds. Sorry do not remember the name but you can not miss it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Matthews , North Carolina
We also had a leak in our 2014 FC25FB within weeks of taking ownership. It was also in the bedroom area.

Jackson Center performed the Seal-Tech test, found 2 air leaks. The work was performed under warranty. The leak was…you guessed it…street side awning railing mount.
daboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Matthews , North Carolina
FWIW…ever since I witnessed the leak I immediately purchased a GE Protimeter to see what damage was done and to see if there were any other areas unknowingly getting wet. I now take moisture readings on a quarterly basis (23 points of measurement).

Jackson Center apparently fixed the problem. The flooring under the leak in the bedroom area initially registered high (45%). But since our visit to Jackson Center in mid-August, the flooring has dried considerably (21%) in just a few months. So it's headed in the right direction.
daboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2016 27' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Radids , Iowa
Leak in my Eddie Bauer

Bought a new 25' Eddie Bauer 2 years ago. Normal issues which the dealer & factory corrected, after a trip to Jackson Center. After 6 months, a leak developed around my range hood. Water drips in along the seam just below the hood and only as wide as the width. Bill Thomas RV has been awesome in trying to correct it, but cannot find where the water is entering, so I just keep a towel in place when it rains. It's a pain, for sure, but it seems that another trip to JC is needed to correct it? Sure hope they grandfather this nagging issue in their extended warranty coverage, since it's has never been fixed? Love the trailer and now have over 60,000 miles of road miles on it. One more thing - all my Michelin tires developed cracks from rotting. After visiting a dealer, they told me the tires were made in 2002. You are kidding me! A new 2012 1/2 Airstream with 2002 tires on it? Well, Michelin replaced all the tires, plus the spare at no charge. Wow! I sure can't imagine anyone doing that. Thank you Michelin. I am a fan for life. Iowa Bumpa
Iowa Bumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
How did your appt. go ? Did they find the source ? Hope all is well .
Old 10-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Killer cheese burgers, very cold beer and friendly locals are located right next door to the factory. From the front door take a right and walk maybe 50 yds. Sorry do not remember the name but you can not miss it.
I think it's called the Hideout. As AWChief says, the food is very good, and the prices are right!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
Leak??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post

I am new to this forum and thinking of buying an AS, I tough they check for leaks at the factory before putting anything else in the T.T. I know nothing is perfect. But this really got me worry. and that is the same model I was thinking on getting.
Deerhunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Yes, they do have a leak test room in the factory where they test every unit for leaks, with water jets coming at the trailer from many different angles. Surprising that this type of leak wasn't detected there.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
1984 31' Sovereign
Kingwood , Texas
We discovered a leak in the bathroom of our 2015 27fb. During a recent Houston deluge, water was dipping from the seam in the wall at a pretty good rate. I hope Holiday World has the ability to fix the problem. They are new to the Airstream line.

Dan
dcopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
They say to check the easy things first. Was the roof vent open?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We also have a 2015 FC 25FB. That's a bummer on a brand new Airstream. Possibly something got shook loose during transit. JC weill be able to make it right.

Please let us know what the problem was when you find out.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Unfortunately they add a lot of things, like the awnings after the leak test.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote