Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Jonesville , MI
2000 Discovery

Have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery with 139,000 miles. Have owned it for 7 years with no major repairs, runs great. Only trouble is the electric seats won't work and local shops can't fix it. Have had trouble with British electrical systems in the past, owned a couple of BSA motorcycles with Lucas writing that always had electrical issues,

Old 01-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by djweir View Post
Have had trouble with British electrical systems in the past, owned a couple of BSA motorcycles with Lucas writing that always had electrical issues,
They don't call Lucas "The Prince of Darkness" for nothing!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by djweir View Post
Have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery with 139,000 miles. Have owned it for 7 years with no major repairs, runs great. Only trouble is the electric seats won't work and local shops can't fix it. Have had trouble with British electrical systems in the past, owned a couple of BSA motorcycles with Lucas writing that always had electrical issues,
Not trying to turn this into a bash, but...

That is a lot of the problem. very expensive cars that have knobs that fall off the dash, seats that don't work, doors that lock and unlock themselves, sun roofs that don't close, trim that flops, windscreens that leak, air suspensions that have to be replaced every 40K,

Just to name a few.

JD
Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #60
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
As a former factory (Sollihull UK) engineer.... I agree! These vehicles are not of any real quality. I for one have lost faith. Dealership events down a steep slope and across a stream are not a true test. The Darien gap African deserts and the like are the test. World governments have abandoned Rover. With that being said it a neato cool looking vehicle. I wish you safe travels without mechanical or safety issues.
I will urge you to head the warning of those with real experience....
These ate not reliable or high speed towing safe vehicles. Just not designed for this type of service
A horse box at 30 is way different than an Airstream at 65.
Best wishes.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:27 AM   #61
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
When Ford bought Jaguar and Land Rover in 2002 they very quickly went to work to clean up the quality issues. Today I would say a Land Rover is as good a quality as any other vehicle you buy. We have several customers with them and I have not heard any reports of problems. The new Range Rover Sport drives amazing for an SUV, just too bad they don't send us the deisel version.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
They are no longer owned by Ford.

Jaguar/Rover PLC is now held by TATA of Mumbai, India.

Regards,

JD
Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
"Today I would say a Land Rover is as good a quality as any other vehicle you buy."

I find it difficult to justify such a statement, just based on the several of your customers who own Land Rover did not report any problems.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #64
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I can't wait to hear the problems owners of the new $180000 Range Rover Autobiography have....

I honestly think any good Rover was last built before 1993 prior to GEMS and obdII. Round glass headlights were the norm. The discovery II was the beginning of the end. Remember the Camel Trophy? Dare you to bolt on a winch an do that with air suspension an 22 inch chrome wheels and cashmire lined steering wheels. I'm not bashing but things have changed.... alot
Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #65
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I had a model year 2000 Discovery 2 TD5. Neither design nor build quality was good. Couldn't shift the manual smoothly into second gear while moving until the transmission oil warmed up. Dealer said they all did that. It never left me stranded, but it did spend time at the dealer's. Eventually I paid a penalty to the lease company to get out of it early.

At the same time, I owned a '97 Morgan complete with Lucas Electronics. It was less trouble, which says something about both the Morgan and the Discovery.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:56 AM   #66
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Rostam
Since most of our customers discus their vehicle choices with us I seem to hear it all about their vehicles. My personal car is an 04 Jag that I bought in 2007, I loved the car but was concerned about reliability and repair costs. With 80,000 miles on it now it has been completely reliable with no issues at all. The extended warranty expired this year and I never had a claim. What also amazes me that on a car that I drive quite hard I have had the same brakes for 50,000 miles, the steering and ride is still like the day I bought it and it has never needed a ball joint, tie rod end etc.

I am aware that they are now owned by Tata but I don't think there has been any change in philosophy just a cash infusion.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Old 01-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Hi Andy,

In my opinion, the rating agencies, which get feedback from a much larger number of owners, can provide an assessment which is more accurate. I don't think the experience you have had with your Jaguar is the norm.

Best,
Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #68
Tom and Phyllis

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
I regret that this thread has taken a turn for the worse. In so many words contributors have told me that my 10 years of reliable service with my Land Rover is not normal. I think it is childish to tell another man that "what you have is not as good as what I have!"
Not once have I noticed where people acknowledge the low build quality of the Air Stream. Let me correct myself, I did read one post where the guy had purchased both a TV and AS saying the TV came with no problems but that the AS had many which had to be corrected by the AS dealer.
Another post by somebody who had toured the factory shared how they were told that because of an increase in demand the assembly workers had been told to complete 53 per day rather than the 50 they had been expected to complete.
A word of advice, do not tell me anything on this forum that you do not have the balls to tell me to my face!
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is generator
Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #69
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
It just sounds like yiu dont like the answer to your own question. I currently own many many many Land Rovers. These range from the first in 1947 to the very latest...
Overall the vehicles from the era you own are by far the most rediculous in regards to reliability and longevity. I would feel more confident in pulling anything with a 60+ year old Rover than a 2004 disco II you asked for an opinion and we offered ours. This is from people who have real world real time experience. For me having a failure or break down while towing and or vacation stinks.... that's a game changer. For your info your vehicle is a ticking tome bomb.... you will blow the head gaskets.. nit a matter if but when. Ill be willing to bet it wont be on the comfort.of your garage. Then the slipped cylinder liner... kaboom! Again not in the comfort of your garage. Both of these issues are a certainty! Why is your vehicle exempt from what all of these vehicles experience? Sooner or later you'll be a distance from home sourcing an $8000 engine then trying to find a "person" to replace it for you! Not going to happen... you'll abandon said Rover and sell it on Craigslist for $1000. Look at Cl.... a dime a dozen all needing an engine.... by design.
Have a 4.6 Bosch engine? Will happen even faster!
Again I offer best wishes and a full copy of the shop manual if yous like the nearly 20000 pages of good reading!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #70

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

This thread is temporarily closed while we review it's content and the dust settles.

On behalf of the site team,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Closed Thread