Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
……

just a simple Yankee wench twister lost in the haze of Airstream Folly
Great line. If there isn't a tune to go along with it, their should be. Jim

Old 10-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
One of my brothers has a LR, not sure which model, though. He went through a short period of considering getting a TT, but then he found the spec limited him to some ridiculous hitch weight. I want to say 200 lbs, but with my feeble memory I wouldn't want to even guess.

Instead he bought a parts LR, to use in improving his original one, but now he's turning the parts unit into a 'rat' model to go off-roading in.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
just a simple Yankee wench twister lost in the haze of Airstream Folly.
Only just noticed that...

Sounds like a job description straight out of a pirate movie. "Horses shod, wenches twisted, sails repaired."
Old 10-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
It is not as simple as beefing up the hitch, adding a transmission cooler, using a top notch weight distribution hitch, and suddenly being able to safely tow way more than what the manufacturer recommends. There are many many other factors involved -- chassis, suspension, brakes, etc. IMO, if the vehicle, out of the factory, is not capable to tow your TT, you would be better off going for a different, more capable, TV. But to each their own.

I have seen photos of the hitch reinforcement on this site. I am not even sure it is safe. What would happen if (when not towing), you get rear ended? Wouldn't that extra support bar stick out of the passenger seat?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
……having vehicles modified so they are "capable" of being used as a tow vehicle. If folks are comfortable going that route so-be-it. Only time will tell if it was a smart decision.

We are all traveling down the same road, some, like me are just further along than others, time to find out is not an option.

I now have my last tow vehicle, it has a well proven history as a very capable performer.

I'm not a big fan of re-engineering a vehicle to do a job it was never designed to do. That's not a "bash", just a POV.

That said, what do I know?…..just a simple Yankee wench twister lost in the haze of Airstream Folly.

Bob
Bob, didn't you replace your factory Suburban hitch receiver with an after-market receiver to strengthen the vehicles capability? I think most of us have made changes to have a better tow vehicle. I believe his Land Rover is rated to tow the Airstream in question. He's asking about setting up his hitch.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I have seen photos of the hitch reinforcement on this site. I am not even sure it is safe. What would happen if (when not towing), you get rear ended? Wouldn't that extra support bar stick out of the passenger seat?
In a word, no. The force of impact would have to be large enough that deformation of the vehicle by the hitch reinforment would be the least of your worries.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Bob, didn't you replace your factory Suburban hitch receiver with an after-market receiver to strengthen the vehicles capability? I think most of us have made changes to have a better tow vehicle. I believe his Land Rover is rated to tow the Airstream in question. He's asking about setting up his hitch.
Again,

I was NOT referring to the LRD discussion....

snip......"Here we go this thread just turned into another CAN-AM groupie rant. If the factory doesn't recomend then I would find a TV that can handle what you want to do instead of doing unsafe and not recommended mods to try to tow with something."

....."As usual, you seem to be the only one here who is ranting. Your hatred for all things Can-Am have been pretty noticeable throughout your posts and is getting tiresome. Don't like other people's towing options, then don't participate in the discussion. Especially if you can't do it in a civil manner."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the fun we have discussing CA's modus operandi that gets a little tedious after awhile.

....oh, and yes I did replace the 'Burb's receiver. I found one that's much more compatible with the very substantial frame it's attached to.
Guilty as stink....blink

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 10-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
It'll be interesting to see what the OP chooses to do and what his experiences towing with his Land Rover will be like. I hope he'll choose to share them here for others to learn.

If the argument that one cannot legitimately improve the performance of a stock vehicle through aftermarket modifications would be in any way valid, 80% of all motor-sport events would have to close down tomorrow, including all Touring Car Championships and even, to a degree, NASCAR.

We all modify, and improve the performance of our vehicles the second we install towing mirrors and a brake controller. A braced hitch is no different.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Looked around, FWIW here are the 2003 LRD specs

Either the specs change wildly when the air suspension is used, or my brother had no idea what the payload capacity is.

Tow capacity is higher than I expected, too.

Must be a bit costly to run though, given the 12 -16 mpg (NOT towing) it needs and Hi-test gas at that.

But I have to admit that I like the cut of its jib; I find it an attractive vehicle, for whatever that is worth.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2003 Land Rover Discovery specs.pdf (255.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Yes, they're not known for their frugality regarding fuel. The military models have dual fuel tanks underneath the front seats, with dual inlets. It's fun to see other motorists' faces when filling up from two pumps at the same time, but on different sides of the vehicle.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
Tom and Phyllis

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
The Airstream I getting, the 23 ft FB Flying Cloud, is being purchased from an individual and he is including a load distributing hitch. I just do not know what kind it is. I am interested to see how it tows with and without the LD hitch. I looked at the Hensley website. I am trying to get my head around how the mechanics of that hitch works. I have not checked out the ProPride yet. By the way, what is a CAN-AM groupie? I guess I'm not one if I do not know what one is!!!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
CanAm is a highly respected and/or controversial RV and Airstream dealership in London, Ontario. Andrew Thomson, one of the owners and son of the man who started the business is, depending on your point of view:

a: One of the leading authorities* in all matters related to towing in North America with over 40 years experience setting up safe, reliable rigs that don't always involve trucks and other body-on-frame vehicles.

OR

b: A charlatan responsible for littering our streets with overloaded, over-stressed and unsafe tow combinations that are illegal, immoral and irresponsible.

Those in camp A are sometimes called CanAm groupies by those camp B.

* AT is an advisor to Airstream and works with the Institute of Automotive engineers.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Do you still wanna be an Airstreamer after reading all these posts?

Before you go out and spend a lot more money on a tow vehicle, I would try it and see firsthand how it handles. Unless someone here has your exact configuration, there is really no way to know for sure. And yes, the coil springs will make a big difference- been there. I've been considering that type of set-up myself, but may go with another Range Rover- still haven't decided. But then, I must surely be crazy.