Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The mini blinds are the first to go in our new FC. We got day night shades for our 20' and swapped them over to the new 25', plus a couple of new ones. OEM Shades had my old order info in their records so they could match the colors for me.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEgger View Post
We have mini blinds in our FC and found the plastic hold-downs didn't work very well, blinds kept coming loose. We installed Rockler rare earth magnets throughout the unit about a year and a half ago. They're great. We bought the magnets and the "cups" they fit into. After removing the plastic hold-downs, the cups, which have a hole in the center, are screwed to the wall using one of the two screw holes that held the plastic. The magnets fit into the cups and "attract" the non aluminum in the bottom of the mini blinds. Magnets are very strong, they've never come loose even when bumped. Very satisfied.

AirEgger,

Hi! I'm dealing with the same issue in my FC. Would you mind posting a link to where I can buy the magnets?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Not long. My 8 yr old has managed to destroy just about every miniblind in the house. The trailer has roll up blinds and curtains. The curtains look pretty good after 30+ yrs. They did need to R&R though.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
The miniblinds that come with the AS are a very soft metal that easily bends - so far I am able to keep then from children damaging - but how long will that really last
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaken49 View Post
AirEgger,

Hi! I'm dealing with the same issue in my FC. Would you mind posting a link to where I can buy the magnets?

Thanks!
I googled "Rockler" and went to their website. Look for rare earth magnets. There's a couple ways to mount them, pick what you think is best, we chose the cups. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
AirEgger,

Thanks!
You might try a search on Amazon for NEODYNIUM MAGNET. You'll find many choices of size and power. Here is one example that might work:

Amazon.com: 30 Neodymium Magnets 1/4 x 1/16 inch Disc N48: Industrial & Scientific
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Thanks for Sharing

We have a 2014 23' Flying Cloud Front Bunk and don't like the peek a boo openings that the mini blinds leave when closed. We like the idea of having mini blind to shade the sun but leave some ventilation. However, we miss the curtains that we had in our 2004 19' Bambi Safari. We are working on adding curtains now. JPA Drapes can make the curtains. Our problem is figuring out the mounting hardware that will go around the mini blinds. Anyone have any ideas on sources for curtain hardware?
jschelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschellent View Post
We have a 2014 23' Flying Cloud Front Bunk and don't like the peek a boo openings that the mini blinds leave when closed. We like the idea of having mini blind to shade the sun but leave some ventilation. However, we miss the curtains that we had in our 2004 19' Bambi Safari. We are working on adding curtains now. JPA Drapes can make the curtains. Our problem is figuring out the mounting hardware that will go around the mini blinds. Anyone have any ideas on sources for curtain hardware?
We have a 2014 30' FC and are in the middle of installing curtains over our mini blinds in the bedroom. We wanted to have to have both as well. DW bought a single 84" panel at Bed bath and beyond cut in half to make two curtains one for each side. We looked at all kinds of hanging hardware at IKEA Home Depot ....... The Hardware we decided looked the best is the same stuff they use for the AS front window curtains. We got The rails, mouting brackets and curtain hanging gizzmo's from Inland. Pictures show the top rail mounted to the wooden Mini Blind mounts. They work great and easy to install. Curtain were easy to make too DW did all the work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom curtain 1.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	212223

Name:	Bedroom curtain 2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	212224

Name:	Bed room curtain 3.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	212225

Name:	Bedroon curtain 4.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	212226

I will be installing a bottom rail on mounting brackets attached to the wall as well so they will work much like the curtains in the front panoramic window. They will clear the mini blinds with no problem. DW needs to hem and sew in hanging gizzmo's in the bottom before I mount the rail. Will post more pictures when its complete.

For the galley window the plans are to attach curtains using magnets on the top rail of the mini blinds and attach magnets to wall of the AS undecided if the curtains will go in front of or behind the miniblinds. We do not plan to use them all the time so magnets will work best for us. This is a design in progress. After 36 years that means I do as I am told
Hope this helps
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
AirEgger,

Thanks!
Got our magnets in store at Home Depot in the Hardware Aisle for under $3 for 8 rectangular ones. Also have 12 packs of thin washer magnets $4 both work great on the existing steel screws.
Â*at The Home Depot
We are still experimenting with with which works best. Tried then out on our last 200 mi leg, neither of the two mini blinds we tried them on came loose. Once we decide what works best for us we plan to get rid of all the plastic hold downs.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
I think it is a great idea. I do not like the minblinds. Not only are the kids rough on them, I am too. Everytime, I make beds I bump something into them. :-/. I would to try this, but make my own curtain.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
The magnets and drape mods are great! Thanks for all the info!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
DW bought ... After 36 years that means I do as I am told
"DW"="Dear Wife"?
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Yes, DW - Dear Wife. That's me. And he doesn't ALWAYS do as he's told. ... but what fun would that be?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Airstream Forums mobile app
bunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rogersville , Alabama
Thank for the curtain idea - we have cats that love to climb thru mini blinds, which damages them. This is a great solution.
wyndysweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #34

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Yes! I literally just thought of this after many days of trying to figure out a cheap and sleek alternative to custom rv curtains! So I searched to see if anyone else had done it and voila! Thank you for all the details!!
jess31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I need to dig into this thread - y’all the mini blinds have taken a beating!!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote